TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Gets job in August, let’s JR know he will be leaving at the end of his current contract. Shocking. As for having heads up, even JR doesn’t get advance notice of cuts.
You would know this better, but did he not start in September of 2013? If I am wrong, my apologies.

so a contract that ends on Dec. 31, but may have started in September?? I always assumed the radio business was September to September..Perhaps I am wrong. It certainly seems that each time programming changes occur, they seem to coincide with fall. So, he gets a job in August..It does not make full sense to leave in September and let the station re-schedule around you???

then 1 week later, the boom of cuts and layoffs..Western Canada is decimated...an office of 1, Wally, gone...TSN1200 on air, untouched..Mendes already gone. Past purges have traditionally been 1 on air person. Incredible coincidence.

CGK..Something smells foul in the state of Denmark....

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
This thread is a trip wow... anyways as an everyday listener here are some thoughts
- Mendes was a huge loss for the station, he was by far the best personality they had and it wasn't close. Looked forward to The Drive and by far my fave show on the station. Lee Versage has grown on me since him and Mendes teamed up.
- Schreiter is a breath air to the station, love listening to her but she has a real job working comms for the hospital, she's never going to leave that over the clear instability at Bell Media so I'll take her when we can get her
- Doubt they will replace Mendes as that costs Bell money but big yawn to the fill ins (Bunda and Creech), seemingly very likeable men but offer no interesting perspective other than being bros
-Simpson is good, like his rants and feeling his player analysis these days but I can't listen to too much morning show too much useless banter and wheel of meat blehness. Also CBC Ottawa Morning is top notch.
- Everyone loves when Meth gets on the radio but dude made like 20 million over his career, he may as well have a podcast and do it on his own time. Probably make similar money based on how well it would be listened to. Hope he doesn't leave Sens Twitter and that the org gives him some 2D soon

I'm a Sens fan, then a sports talk radio fan. I prefer to listen to the radio during my work day vs music but the station quality is lacking these days. They need more engaging and diverse talent but no way is Bell Media going to go for it, so meh, I guess I'll keep listening but nobody on the roster leaving would be a big loss.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hey Jet..what is up...I doubt Eugene Melnyk would come after me this hard? Is there more here?

What’s wrong with you, you said your here to debate, saying you have evidence, then the evidence turns into, here’s what I believe happened. Mendes only got the job after Hailey left, there were no job openings before. Sorry but cannot take “ I believe “ as fact.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
My claim is; the team influenced personnel changes. Ones that caused a stir in the industry. When I said that I have evidence, I do. That evidence is not " a smoking gun". It is different. It is one that has me believing that Mendes 1) Knew the end was approaching a while back and 2) again, as discussed on here...so a public issue. The behavior of the team, leads me to believe that they either influenced it, or definitely kicked up enough dust around it.

The question here would be: why would Mendes choose the path he did if he knew the team forced him out? He needs access to press conferences, the press box during games, and players and coaches to do his current job. If they were mad enough at him to get him moved out, why would he possibly think they would be cooperative with him when he doesn't even have the clout of a listener base? It would make more sense to tangent off 180 degrees like Sid from Tim and Sid is doing.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
What’s wrong with you, you said your here to debate, saying you have evidence, then the evidence turns into, here’s what I believe happened. Mendes only got the job after Hailey left, there were no job openings before. Sorry but cannot take “ I believe “ as fact.
I get you. Why not go for the Ottawa opening 16 months earlier when it first opened up...and a few months before the Dorion encounter and the Bush league comment? Not a peep out of anyone for 4 months after (August to Jan). Yes, I do believe that he got the job because Hailey left for Calgary..f'ng confusing in its own right when you consider she was here a mere 16 months. But, hey we are fighting already, I don't need a second battle.

I will repeat, I believe that Ian was actively looking for work and no this was not an accident. I cannot continue. Read my other posts in this thread...start at 9 am and read all.

We have Bush league...gone
We have "I will bury you"...gone

great f'ng coincidences.

All of this began by me defending Lloyd.. And the comments are, and I hold steadfast, are correct on Ottawa sports media..It has been neutered.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
The question here would be: why would Mendes choose the path he did if he knew the team forced him out? He needs access to press conferences, the press box during games, and players and coaches to do his current job. If they were mad enough at him to get him moved out, why would he possibly think they would be cooperative with him when he doesn't even have the clout of a listener base? It would make more sense to tangent off 180 degrees like Sid from Tim and Sid is doing.
I am done. it thing has mushroomed to a point that I do not want to go.. Follow the logic form the start of the day. You may see greater insight. It is 2 pages of heavy reading, I get it!!!

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Mendes is a smart enough guy to know when the writing is on the wall. Something or someone tipped him off that it was better to pivot. Whether that was something that was said in contract negotiations (e.g. maybe he wanted to get an extension, it was denied) or he wanted further responsibility and it was refused, or he wanted to introduce new elements into the program and it was refused, or he wanted to interview someone and it was denied, who knows, none of us have insider knowledge, but we can put two and two together.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Simmer is speculation. I wrote that..then allow me to ask you. If he is worth bucks..why work in radio at 75 K? when per your words "he isnt doing it because he would be making next to no money when he can be focusing on many other things". Simmer never played (at least long enough), and was never a senior enough executive to make serious coin. I could continue, but it is unnecessary.. My comment was: "Simmer probably....". You should have interpreted that as my conjecture...thus a point to be debated..
This board doesn't allow negative Simmer vibes. Lol

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Mendes was pretty upfront and clear that he didn’t have knowledge or suspected that the layoffs were coming. He made a career choice. Where were all you conspiracy buffs when he left TV? What wall was it written on that his tv career was done and he needed to switch to radio?
Maybe just accept his version of HIS accounting of what happened in HIS life? Oh no, because that’s not part of a conspiracy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Mendes was pretty upfront and clear that he didn’t have knowledge or suspected that the layoffs were coming. He made a career choice. Where were all you conspiracy buffs when he left TV? What wall was it written on that his tv career was done and he needed to switch to radio?
Maybe just accept his version of HIS accounting of what happened in HIS life? Oh no, because that’s not part of a conspiracy.
Yes, because in the media there's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I think Mendes is smarter than you are giving him credit for.

The climate in media was a lot different in 2013 than 2021. He chose radio for family reasons and didn't want to be on the road anymore. That seems very plausible and doesn't raise a brow by anyone. Leaving TSN a week before massive layoffs is just a coincidence?

No FYOUS for you.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Awesome stuff from UND coach on our 4 future sens.

Look for pinto and jbd in Ottawa at the end of this season, then jake end of next year, then kleven

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So now the media is losing patience on a 22 year old player who’s been very good since drafted.
Why do you “need to know” finally right now?
What’s the rush?

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

from a post on HFBoards from mid last year. So if we as fans knew this, or some of us.. and I am one..Are the employees of Bell media so blind to not see it? Are people working in the industry not seeing ad sales..not talking to clients, not interacting with sponsors/advertisers? If you work in media and do not know the shape of your outlet, what are you doing?

If you mean to tell me that Mendes and the others did not know...I struggle with that. If you mean to tell me they did not suspect, I struggle even harder. Imagine working for a company, walking into production and seeing the staff twiddling their thumbs, you would not ask why? Did the on air guys not hear the commercials being run? And see the "free ones". Unless you are absolutely un-attentive, how could you not suspect? and in an industry that purges regularly.

In Mendes case, I believe there are added issues. Read up to see @MiscBrah...and there is more. Now this thing has morphed into "what Ian knew or did not know", or how much is Simmer worth..It was not about that..It was about Ottawa Sports media being neutered!!!! I wish everyone would read the origins and not the last posting..so much gets lost.
upload_2021-2-25_12-19-57.png

Last edited:

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Mendes is a smart enough guy to know when the writing is on the wall. Something or someone tipped him off that it was better to pivot. Whether that was something that was said in contract negotiations (e.g. maybe he wanted to get an extension, it was denied) or he wanted further responsibility and it was refused, or he wanted to introduce new elements into the program and it was refused, or he wanted to interview someone and it was denied, who knows, none of us have insider knowledge, but we can put two and two together.

Or maybe, y’all could listen to me....

I’ve said it in my Athletic columns, I’ll say it again here: I figured I had ONE shot to be a full-time writer and I took it. I did TV. Did radio. Wanted to compete the hat trick and this was a great chance for me. I would regret turning it down. If the pandemic taught me anything, it’s to seize opportunity when it arises. You have no idea what the future holds.

Also, if there was ANY bitterness/awkwardness between me and TSN 1200, would I still be a regular guest every week on The Drive? I’m not sure any radio host has ever left his job and then had the chance to come back as a regular guest. I think it speaks volumes about my departure - that it was done without malice or anger. You think if they forced me out, I would come back on the station and pump their tires? NO WAY.

I do appreciate the various theories being thrown out there. Now I know how Dany Heatley felt! ;-)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I’ve said it in my Athletic columns, I’ll say it again here: I figured I had ONE shot to be a full-time writer and I took it. I did TV. Did radio. Wanted to compete the hat trick and this was a great chance for me. I would regret turning it down. If the pandemic taught me anything, it’s to seize opportunity when it arises. You have no idea what the future holds.

Also, if there was ANY bitterness/awkwardness between me and TSN 1200, would I still be a regular guest every week on The Drive? I’m not sure any radio host has ever left his job and then had the chance to come back as a regular guest. I think it speaks volumes about my departure - that it was done without malice or anger. You think if they forced me out, I would come back on the station and pump their tires? NO WAY.

I do appreciate the various theories being thrown out there. Now I know how Dany Heatley felt! ;-)

Thanks Ian!!!!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Thanks Ian, hopefully Beech can relax now.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

You made the decision before it was eventually made for you.

I can't help but think if TSN 1200 had a bigger budget, no layoffs, no covid and a successful hockey team that the choice would have been pushed far down the road.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Some people are so deep down the conspiracy rabbit hole they can’t believe facts. I am glad you are getting the opportunity to follow another passion. I for one always figured you would be great as a writer after reading your pieces on TSN.ca. Keep up the great work and don’t be a stranger to this cesspool of conspiracy and negativity!!!!!!

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
You made the decision before it was eventually made for you.

I can't help but think if TSN 1200 had a bigger budget, no layoffs, no covid and a successful hockey team that the choice would have been pushed far down the road.
I can’t help but think that you should stop thinking for other people.

Reactions: cudi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad