TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Best part was the first thing he said “Sens fans get a bad reputation because they get caught up in the incompetence of the hockey team. Ottawa has great fans”

if a media personality had said this to the fans when Melnyck was telling us to
Blow ourselves up, Dorion was saying he only hears positivity from the fans when he walks around the stadium, or when they stuck by Randy Rick Lee - that reporter would have street cred like no one else in this city

wait, we get a bad rap as fans? Who doesn’t love us?

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
WAHH..to get that Pod cast daily...I am stunned...

Is that Thud that I hear; Eugene and Pierre falling off their chairs?

Make sure you use a VPN and up to date anti malwayre when you log in ...Eugene's Eastern European friends may be busy real soon.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
WAHH..to get that Pod cast daily...I am stunned...

Is that Thud that I hear; Eugene and Pierre falling off their chairs?

Make sure you use a VPN and up to date anti malwayre when you log in ...Eugene's Eastern European friends may be busy real soon.

Nothing will stop them from getting you, comrade. :sarcasm:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
If Ian really knew he would have stuck around for a nice severance cheque and then moved on the The Athletic.

Most of those people are on contract, so it’s a function of how much time you have left.

It’s also possible the door at The Athletic would have closed.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thank you. Anything on Dorion other than the no support around DJ?

he’s assembled a terrible team and in year 1 of FYOUS, he’s running out of excuses and needs to give his coach an NHL roster - and focus on sorting out the D which they went over, and sign real NHL dman and not play pretend with these veterans, without a real D the team is going nowhere: also said it got personal with Boro and feeling is their was jealously within the top of the organization towards Boro because he was loved by the fans and his teammates and probably worried he’d start to pull some weight in the community as a long term Sen so they got rid of him (which you could say from Fisher/Kelly - Spezza - Alfie - EK - Stone has been the M.O. of the team so the last guy left is Boro who’s a 6th dman; and they can’t even sign him or have enough maturity and expertise to recognize his importance to the organization)

didn’t get the sense there was a ton of respect for the rebuild plan - he pointed out Dorion has stopped using the word rebuild even though this is most likely the worst roster Ottawa has ever assembled - he said that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The SensNation podcast with the most recent guest Brent Wallace is incredibly refreshing now that Warne and Wallace have cut ties with TSN. They paid a high price losing their jobs but the honest, constructive criticism is just what the doctor ordered when it comes to sports talk related to the Sens.
Make Wallace a regular on this podcast with Warne and Kennedy!

Reactions: StutzlingAway

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Most of those people are on contract, so it’s a function of how much time you have left.

It’s also possible the door at The Athletic would have closed.

Good point on the contracts side.

I was thinking with how quickly it happened after his move that if he had a heads up he would have maximized his payout.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The SensNation podcast with the most recent guest Brent Wallace is incredibly refreshing now that Warne and Wallace have cut ties with TSN. They paid a high price losing their jobs but the honest, constructive criticism is just what the doctor ordered when it comes to sports talk related to the Sens.
Make Wallace a regular on this podcast with Warne and Kennedy!
Three dudes complaining about things they don’t understand fully is what I heard. But hey that’s why there’s different options.

Reactions: cudi

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
God Dean Brown is so garbage on the pre game show. He is clearly trying to carry the water for the organization and the desperation reeks.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Three dudes complaining about things they don’t understand fully is what I heard. But hey that’s why there’s different options.

Whether its a podcast, a forum like this, 1200 or a post game show, we are all guilty of complaining. It goes hand in hand with sports talk obviously.
Some people have more insight than others and Brent Wallace I believe can offer valid critical analysis having been so close to the team and some of the players. I can't write the guy off and say he doesn't understand fully what he is talking about,but as you suggest there are lots of options.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can you provide any telling statements from Wallace. I can't listen right now.

My biggest takeaway is that Wallace thinks Brown is no better than a 3rd line center, if not a great AHLer. He basically carved him pretty good and mentioned the hit on Chabot , i think trying to make a point that he isn't a team guy. I also think he roasted him badly for his lack of desire at camp, when a spot was up for grabs. He personally felt that there wasn't, because he just isn't NHL material.

My favourite remark was Wallace saying that last year he had enough of a sample size to prove his worth and he was lousy. The other two pushed back to try and blame lack of support (which everyone says around here). Wallace agrees with how I see it. You are in the NHL, make something happen and that is an excuse, and he rattled off the minutes he played as saying there was plenty of opportunity. Wallace came to fight!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Is Dean Brown ever hard to listen to on the pregame shows.

He explains his point of view in several minutes when one would suffice, then explains how other people don't understand where he's coming from. Chuckles to himself, then strokes himself for another couple of minutes while listening to his own voice in his headset.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He explains his point of view in several minutes when one would suffice, then explains how other people don't understand where he's coming from. Chuckles to himself, then strokes himself for another couple of minutes while listening to his own voice in his headset.

I like his swashbuckling ways.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Still doing it huh?

I thought he was just having a bad day a few weeks back, but it seems he has gone completely senile. They really should start finding a replacement play by play guy to take over sooner rather than later and give Dean a desk job somewhere at the station as a "thank you" for all his years there.

(As opposed to firing him I mean)

Reactions: Tighthead

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

Be fair..He is on the air for ~ 40 minutes every hour of the game. So in 3 hours of game/pre game/post game. He has to talk for ~ 120 minutes..We talk at 1-2 words a second. So, 14,400 words.
We read at 1 word a second. So, it is on par with reading for 4 hours straight. Or reading ~ 28,800 words. On average a page is ~ 500 words...so, we have to read 58 pages of packed text. This applies to text generating. So 58 pages and written in 4 hours..Try writing non-fiction for 58 pages and do so in 4 hours. It will be "stretched" and repetitive and weak and poor.

I enjoy writing essays, non fiction. Principally on current events, or historical...I can generate a document in ~ 2 hours (Less fact checking). About 5-6 pages max (~ 2000-3000 words)..If I ever had to write a 58 pager, and on one topic only...by page 6, it will be pure repeat or such watered material, it would be empty!!!! and add to it a time limit of say 4 hours...It would be a joke.

Play by play or colour commentators, should only be allowed 1-2 minute hits and no more air time. The pregame show is silly to have them on for 10-20 minutes. And it is equally silly to have them do daily 15-20 minute hits...They are so conditioned to babble, and fill air time, you get garbage.

Dean babbles. Gord talks in DO loops.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Be fair..He is on the air for ~ 40 minutes every hour of the game. So in 3 hours of game/pre game/post game. He has to talk for ~ 120 minutes..We talk at 1-2 words a second. So, 14,400 words.
We read at 1 word a second. So, it is on par with reading for 4 hours straight. Or reading ~ 28,800 words. On average a page is ~ 500 words...so, we have to read 58 pages of packed text. This applies to text generating. So 58 pages and written in 4 hours..Try writing non-fiction for 58 pages and do so in 4 hours. It will be "stretched" and repetitive and weak and poor.

I enjoy writing essays, non fiction. Principally on current events, or historical...I can generate a document in ~ 2 hours (Less fact checking). About 5-6 pages max (~ 2000-3000 words)..If I ever had to write a 58 pager, and on one topic only...by page 6, it will be pure repeat or such watered material, it would be empty!!!! and add to it a time limit of say 4 hours...It would be a joke.

Play by play or colour commentators, should only be allowed 1-2 minute hits and no more air time. The pregame show is silly to have them on for 10-20 minutes. And it is equally silly to have them do daily 15-20 minute hits...They are so conditioned to babble, and fill air time, you get garbage.

Dean babbles. Gord talks in DO loops.
You should change your name to The Extrapolator.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Still doing it huh?

I thought he was just having a bad day a few weeks back, but it seems he has gone completely senile. They really should start finding a replacement play by play guy to take over sooner rather than later and give Dean a desk job somewhere at the station as a "thank you" for all his years there.

(As opposed to firing him I mean)

They should just fire him. He's just a bitter old man now that think he's god's gift to hockey commentary. Remember when he was like the #3 on HNIC? Then they told him to pound sand. Then when TSN took over the regional games they told him to get back to radio? TSN has even let their second string SportsCenter guys do a game instead of Dean. Has to sting for a guy as arrogant as Dean.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
My biggest takeaway is that Wallace thinks Brown is no better than a 3rd line center, if not a great AHLer. He basically carved him pretty good and mentioned the hit on Chabot , i think trying to make a point that he isn't a team guy. I also think he roasted him badly for his lack of desire at camp, when a spot was up for grabs. He personally felt that there wasn't, because he just isn't NHL material.

My favourite remark was Wallace saying that last year he had enough of a sample size to prove his worth and he was lousy. The other two pushed back to try and blame lack of support (which everyone says around here). Wallace agrees with how I see it. You are in the NHL, make something happen and that is an excuse, and he rattled off the minutes he played as saying there was plenty of opportunity. Wallace came to fight!

most interesting bit for me was Wallace mentioning that Brown basically screwed himself over when he nailed chabot in a scrimmage game or whatever. I wonder if they sent him down to send a message or there was more to that hit...it was an interesting point and not talked about here as much

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Tsn1200 needs more hosts, poor Lee and Hammer get stuck doing the weekend show. Of course "I'm better than everyone " Simmer can't even do a Sens game unless it's on at convenient time for him on Saturday. No Sundays or late start on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad