The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Melnyk said he wants the Sens to be a farm team for the nhl

Signing 26-27 year olds to 6-8 deals it’s not something he wants to do...

Reactions: Acidrain66

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have a much better understanding of what Melynk is trying to do after listening to the interview today. His plan is to build through the draft and let UFA Stars go when they demand big money.

It is one way of trying to build a winner and it could work if you had proper structure in place but this is EM and you know his plan is very flawed. A balance of vets and young players are what you need.

He thinks he is running a AHL team or junior hockey team.

His comment on the Leafs being stuck because they forgot about defence is so f***ing stupid.

They can trade Nylander or Kadri for an amazing defenceman.

How stupid is this guy? He just traded Karlsson, he doesn’t think the Leafs could trade for a big name Dman this summer.

His own jealousy and anger makes him forgot trades happen in the NHL.

Imagine being that rich and owning an NHL team and being that angry and petty.

He’s so proud he paid someone to chase down a 12 year old kid he said it in the national media - he should be sending that kid tickets to his old, empty Ass arena

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ha,not that simple. When I was grilled to explain my insider info, which I did, it was met with contempt, jealousy, disdain and an overall spoiled child reaction from the majority of this board. Just face the facts people, sometimes there are things said in a circle that some of us want to share here because we are hockey fans.
Well your insider info was “karlsson is 100% staying”.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Melnyk should be doing everything he can to appeal to the 12-16 group, they will be the ones able to buy tickets when this thing finally turns around...

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
In response to uncle Euge’ comments about lack of D in Toronto, watch them sign Karlesson haha.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I have a much better understanding of what Melynk is trying to do after listening to the interview today. His plan is to build through the draft and let UFA Stars go when they demand big money.

It is one way of trying to build a winner and it could work if you had proper structure in place but this is EM and you know his plan is very flawed. A balance of vets and young players are what you need.

He thinks he is running a AHL team or junior hockey team.

If we're letting go of everyone when they hit UFA then he may as well come out and say we're not winning a cup ever. Because unless we draft Crosby and Malkin it hasn't been done anytime lately with stars that young carrying a team without star veteran players past UFA age.

It's just a way for him to make it sound like he wants to build a winner without committing to put any big money down. Might fool the "real fans" but around here I don't think he's fooling anyone anymore.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This was the most frightening part of the interview, imo.

If the organization can't even commit to a 26 year old, what's the point?

Not wanting to debate signing Stone or not

But in my view the league is transitioning from one where the big money and term is paid to UFAs to one where the big money and term is paid to lock up players most productive years.

Too many Ryans, Ladds, Lucics out there.

I think melnyk's comments are correct and the league will transitiom in that direction. Right now it sucks that it cost us a few stars.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Not wanting to debate signing Stone or not

But in my view the league is transitioning from one where the big money and term is paid to UFAs to one where the big money and term is paid to lock up players most productive years.

Too many Ryans, Ladds, Lucics out there.

I think melnyk's comments are correct and the league will transitiom in that direction. Right now it sucks that it cost us a few stars.

All those contracts looked bad the minute pen was put to paper. We all knew the Ryan contract was an overpay but we forked over so much for him the FO really felt they had to keep him. You can't compare those 3 guys to someone like Stone or Karlsson. Even if their play falls off a bit, Stone and Karlsson are still better than those 3 ever were.

Would you really let someone like Auston Matthews walk when he's 27 because he's "old"? Because I guarantee the Leafs will be lining up the money truck for him...because he's good. The rule is always you pay your star players no matter what. Otherwise Pittsburgh doesn't win their last 2 cups and Washington doesn't win last year. Melnyk is just making another excuse that on the surface sounds plausible but when looked into defies logic, to not pay money. Nothing new here.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He trashed a team better than us for a thing they’re doing better than us. People in glass houses should shut the **** up.

What are they doing better than us? They went down a particular path a few years prior to us so at this point in time their standing in the league is certainly better. They are at or near the cap. Do they have a team capable of winning? I recently saw a bit on tsn where a few of their folks identified their top 5 cup contenders. Even on tml pro tsn none of the talking heads picked the leafs.

The bit about the D is spot on. Bonk mentioned they shouldn't have signed Tavares and should have used the money on D. I agree with that. Conpletely. Something has to give there. Too many guys up front with big money deals leaving them without enough to spend on D

Are they doing things right? Really? They have all the money in the world and yet they have a kid as GM who's never had that kind of responsibility. Apart from "i've got a good feeling about this kid" i'm not sure what qualified him for perhaps the most prestigious job in the game.

I personally think they were doing things right...then they signed Tavares.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His comment on the Leafs being stuck because they forgot about defence is so ****ing stupid.

They can trade Nylander or Kadri for an amazing defenceman.

How stupid is this guy? He just traded Karlsson, he doesn’t think the Leafs could trade for a big name Dman this summer.

His own jealousy and anger makes him forgot trades happen in the NHL.

Imagine being that rich and owning an NHL team and being that angry and petty.

He’s so proud he paid someone to chase down a 12 year old kid he said it in the national media - he should be sending that kid tickets to his old, empty Ass arena

I would not have made the comment about the Leafs D but that said the comment isn't wrong. He's quite right and to me it's funny he's taking that kind of shot at them heading into the playoffs. Every player, coach, scout, prospect they've got saw that comment. And deep down they all know he's right. I love the seed of doubt. Still i wouldn't have said it myself.

And Dubas cannot trade Nylander. He's a young GM and he publicly said he wouldn't trade him. Gave Nylander his word. So technically Nylander may not have a no trade clause, but Dubas as a young GM cannot go back on his word

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
In response to uncle Euge’ comments about lack of D in Toronto, watch them sign Karlesson haha.
As much as I hate the Leafs I wish that to this moron owner
Worst team in the league 2 years in row hahahah
S.T.F.U. and go hide in Barbados
Pros sports is laughing at you stupid

Reactions: Cheapseats

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
All those contracts looked bad the minute pen was put to paper. We all knew the Ryan contract was an overpay but we forked over so much for him the FO really felt they had to keep him. You can't compare those 3 guys to someone like Stone or Karlsson. Even if their play falls off a bit, Stone and Karlsson are still better than those 3 ever were.

Would you really let someone like Auston Matthews walk when he's 27 because he's "old"? Because I guarantee the Leafs will be lining up the money truck for him...because he's good. The rule is always you pay your star players no matter what. Otherwise Pittsburgh doesn't win their last 2 cups and Washington doesn't win last year. Melnyk is just making another excuse that on the surface sounds plausible but when looked into defies logic, to not pay money. Nothing new here.

I think the league will transition to 7 and 8 year deals to stars coming off ELCs. It's already happening and it's going to continue. I think the Matthews deal is a bit of an anomaly with the 5 years.

It's not an issue of not signing 26 year olds. It will be a situation of signing 22 year olds to 7 and 8 year deals. Locking the core down together for their most productive years.

That's where i think the league is heading. Whether Melnyk pulls out the wallet is a different issue. He said he will but actions are important not words when you've lost your fanbase

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
What are they doing better than us? They went down a particular path a few years prior to us so at this point in time their standing in the league is certainly better. They are at or near the cap. Do they have a team capable of winning? I recently saw a bit on tsn where a few of their folks identified their top 5 cup contenders. Even on tml pro tsn none of the talking heads picked the leafs.

The bit about the D is spot on. Bonk mentioned they shouldn't have signed Tavares and should have used the money on D. I agree with that. Conpletely. Something has to give there. Too many guys up front with big money deals leaving them without enough to spend on D

Are they doing things right? Really? They have all the money in the world and yet they have a kid as GM who's never had that kind of responsibility. Apart from "i've got a good feeling about this kid" i'm not sure what qualified him for perhaps the most prestigious job in the game.

I personally think they were doing things right...then they signed Tavares.
Good god.

They may or may not win the cup with that roster. Hard to know.

But I'd take their situation over ours 100% of the time without hesitation.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
As much as I hate the Leafs I wish that to this moron owner
Worst team in the league 2 years in row hahahah
S.T.F.U. and go hide in Barbados
Pros sports is laughing at you stupid

He really is an embarrassment to pro sports ownership.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They clearly should have traded Nylander for a D man.

They would be fine otherwise. Marner / Matthews / Tavares were the right calls up front.
I think there is still the opportunity to trade a forward for help on the backend. They have an obvious need to add a top 4 dman, preferably a top 2 guy that plays the right side. Its a tough slot to fill and its not as easy as saying just use the money they spent on tavares on that instead, those guys never come available (except i guess when we decide to sell them off...)

To suggest Toronto has poorly constructed their rebuild ignores that with a single move they could flip the script and they have the resources to pull it off, they just need to find a trading partner .

Maybe convince Carolina to do something around Hamilton for Nylander.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think there is still the opportunity to trade a forward for help on the backend. They have an obvious need to add a top 4 dman, preferably a top 2 guy that plays the right side. Its a tough slot to fill and its not as easy as saying just use the money they spent on tavares on that instead, those guys never come available (except i guess when we decide to sell them off...)

To suggest Toronto has poorly constructed their rebuild ignores that with a single move they could flip the script and they have the resources to pull it off, they just need to find a trading partner .

Maybe convince Carolina to do something around Hamilton for Nylander.

As i just said, Dubas went public saying as long as he is GM he will not trade Nylander. He's too young in his career to walk back on that statement

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Good god.

They may or may not win the cup with that roster. Hard to know.

But I'd take their situation over ours 100% of the time without hesitation.

Right now sure i'd take their situation too. No question.

But have they done it right? I think right now the consensus seems to be the way the roster is cconstructed they haven't done it right. When you can't get anyone on TSN to identify the Leafs as a team in their personal top 5 contenders, you know the professionals are looking at the roster and questionning how it's been constructed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As i just said, Dubas went public saying as long as he is GM he will not trade Nylander. He's too young in his career to walk back on that statement
And dorion said he wouldn't fire Boucher mid season. Gms say a lot of things that may or may not be aligned with their actual intentions. When he said that, he was trying to convibce Nylander to take a team friendly deal that couldn't include a ntc until the 6th year. But actions speak louder than words, when the ntc can kick in, its not a full nmc its a 10 team veto list which as far as ntc go is pretty weak

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And dorion said he wouldn't fire Boucher mid season. Gms say a lot of things that may or may not be aligned with their actual intentions. When he said that, he was trying to convibce Nylander to take a team friendly deal that couldn't include a ntc until the 6th year. But actions speak louder than words, when the ntc can kick in, its not a full nmc its a 10 team veto list which as far as ntc go is pretty weak

Dubas and Nylander both talked about that "promise" after that contract was signed.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How does a kid crashing into a family of four have anything in common with a sports team? Is someone now, on top of saying I am a crook businessman, going to say I am a lousy parent too?

Who says I am not critical? There is a lot I don't like, a lot I hate. No one pays attention to it. You can support the team and be critical, where have I stated otherwise? You all keep putting words in my mouth, making horrible assumptions and make them fact. I support this team at all times, and will always do so. Through thick and thin. But I want a new owner, I wanted the coach fired long ago. I wanted Smith waived and gone. I wanted a lot of things. I wanted Stone and Duchene, or neither. Posters here focus on the fact that yes, I like that he admitted that the fans are pissed, and yes, I like the fact that he said that he will spend, regardless of attendance. Yes, the mayor, sorry people of Ottawa, the mayor has some tendencies that on a professional level are inappropriate and manipulative. He is absolutely not wrong on that. I have seen it firsthand, the mayor is not to be crossed, he will bury you.

When I say I like something the owners says, people jump all over it and make me out to be a Melnyk-lover, a lackey, a shill, hypocrite, and just today, an unscrupulous, crooked businessman, a new low for this board. Is that right?

Was just reading through but I had to stop and comment.

That was a bang on analogy.

You said there are only 2 choices which is absurd. He showed an analogy to show how only giving 2 choices when there are endless amount of choices sounds absurd.

Car accidents have nothing to do with sports teams...but that doesn't mean it's not a great analogy. Almost all analogys use a different subject to prove a point. That's why they're labeled analogies.

Reactions: Deku

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Dubas and Nylander both talked about that "promise" after that contract was signed.

The NHL is going to get a new USA TV deal in 2021... and the WWE a much more inferior company to the NHL got 2.35 Billion for five years

NBA tv deal was nine years and 24 Billion

NHL revenue is about to explode... there last USA contract was 10years and 2billion... looking at a new deal worth 6-8Billion

The cap will be 100-110 million within 3-4 years... All the Leafs need to do is get through the next 12 months... then they got money for days especially with Marleau coming off the books to

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The NHL is going to get a new USA TV deal in 2021... and the WWE a much more inferior company to the NHL got 2.35 Billion for five years

NHL revenue is about to explode... there last USA contract was 10years and 2billion... looking at a new deal worth 6-8Billion

The cap will be 100-110 million within 3-4 years... All the Leafs need to do is get through the next 12 months... then they got money for days especially with Marleau coming off the books to
I wanted to say this but didn't think of it. :)

Reactions: Sens

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I hope so. it will be the salvation of this franchise. Anything that results in revenue that is distributed equally helps this team and pushes us further away from gate reliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad