The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'll use my usual catch phrase on here of "respectively disagreeing". I've said it before and I'll say it again: We cannot please everybody. For every person who has the opinion above ("stick to sports!"), we have an equal number who appreciate when we delve into something trivial or non-sports related. Just this week we received a really positive and glowing note from a listener praising us for not being so bogged down in the monotony of sports and talking about some other things.

So we try and strike a balance and I would say that on average, we're still probably in the neighborhood of 85-90 per cent sports talk. That's our bread and butter and I think it's disingenuous and inaccurate to suggest that we don't talk sports for the majority of our show.

On a side note, I am extremely mindful of Lee's reputation in this market and so is he; and we're working on changing that. If you'll notice, he's actually less argumentative and combative -- and he's working diligently on being opinionated without being abrasive. It's tough to expect people to change overnight, but he's made some significant strides in that department. The guy truly cares about his craft and in terms of pure sports knowledge in a wide range of sports, he's far ahead of me.

I appreciate all of the feedback from our listeners.

Ian
Meh, I think it is sad that Lee has to accommodate listeners who probably never listen on a regular basis. I think he is totally fine being himself. I shudder to think he actually has to work on not being himself. Let's stay away from announcers having personalities and opinions, and character. That way we can get more of "That's What She Said" where they basically agree on everything. I know they are your colleagues, but that is devastating radio.

Regardless of what trolls may say, even those that obsess about Simmer and the station, I listen all day in my office and honestly, it is what it is. Talk radio, mingled in with Hallowe'en stories from Steve Lloyd, traveling on the road stories from Lee, and whatever else is discussed. From my vantage point, I like it all.

Reactions: Variable26

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'll use my usual catch phrase on here of "respectively disagreeing". I've said it before and I'll say it again: We cannot please everybody. For every person who has the opinion above ("stick to sports!"), we have an equal number who appreciate when we delve into something trivial or non-sports related. Just this week we received a really positive and glowing note from a listener praising us for not being so bogged down in the monotony of sports and talking about some other things.

So we try and strike a balance and I would say that on average, we're still probably in the neighborhood of 85-90 per cent sports talk. That's our bread and butter and I think it's disingenuous and inaccurate to suggest that we don't talk sports for the majority of our show.

On a side note, I am extremely mindful of Lee's reputation in this market and so is he; and we're working on changing that. If you'll notice, he's actually less argumentative and combative -- and he's working diligently on being opinionated without being abrasive. It's tough to expect people to change overnight, but he's made some significant strides in that department. The guy truly cares about his craft and in terms of pure sports knowledge in a wide range of sports, he's far ahead of me.

Ian
Right I get it that you can’t please everyone and I can believe that there are plenty of others who enjoy the more trivial or non sports related discussions.
I have a great deal of respect for you and what you’ve done with your time on 1200. I’m not sure exactly why it is I find it harder to listen to Lee but maybe that’s not so relevant if others are hearing the adjustments and enjoy the input.
That can’t be an easy thing to deal with accepting negative feedback and trying to make changes to please the majority so props to Lee for that. I do appreciate his sports knowledge. And your civil replies here go a long way towards keeping a healthy listener-host relationship.
I can’t help but love Senators hockey and so that is what I like to hear about. Although Henry Burris has been really good talking about redblacks lately.
And I just want to say that I don’t have it out for Lee. Heard some great interviews by him. It’s not as if he’s incompetent at his job.

Reactions: coladin

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Meh, I think it is sad that Lee has to accommodate listeners who probably never listen on a regular basis. I think he is totally fine being himself. I shudder to think he actually has to work on not being himself. Let's stay away from announcers having personalities and opinions, and character. That way we can get more of "That's What She Said" where they basically agree on everything. I know they are your colleagues, but that is devastating radio.

Regardless of what trolls may say, even those that obsess about Simmer and the station, I listen all day in my office and honestly, it is what it is. Talk radio, mingled in with Hallowe'en stories from Steve Lloyd, traveling on the road stories from Lee, and whatever else is discussed. From my vantage point, I like it all.

The problem with Lee is not that he's opinionated, it's with his delivery, and as Ian said, his abrasiveness. Now you're going to say "well that's just who he is", but not all listeners want to hear that style of broadcasting on prime time sports radio, and this thread is one of the locations where listeners can voice their feedback.

It's not "sad" that Lee has so accommodate all listeners, because that's literally his job as a broadcaster, especially if he's on the prime time slot. That's when they have the most listeners, and that's when he should be performing on the top of his game and not finding ways to dissect and piss on "feel good" stories that Ian brings up.

I don't know what trolls you are referring to, but can't help but feel the patronizing tone of your last paragraph. I hope you realize people voicing their displeasure or giving feedback on any topics (including Simmer's performance) is not considered trolling. Nothing I've read in this thread could even remotely considered trolling. It's real listeners of the station and fans of the team giving legitimate feedback to the station, and it's awesome that it's not falling on deaf ears, as Ian is a frequenter here.

I really don't like your notion that feedback === trolling due to the nature of the feedback, and the fact you disagree with it. Because it's not, at all.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Ian

That's refreshing to hear, as I remember one of the first times you mentioned to him on air that listeners were criticizing his abrasive and argumentative nature, he response to it was simply "I don't care". That was extremely concerning and disappointing to hear. I'm glad he's taking it seriously, and I'm sure it will help him in the long run with his broadcasting career.

Reactions: Icelevel

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Ian

Ian you are great and this is one of the reasons why Sens fans in Ottawa love you so much. You are genuinely good person and you are just a fun guy to listen to talk on the radio because of that balance you find between entertaining us as well as giving us something to think about. Between you and Lee, there is an exorbitant amount of sports knowledge and you guys make a good team, keep it up and do not let the criticism of some negative folks ruin it for you.

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The problem with Lee is not that he's opinionated, it's with his delivery, and as Ian said, his abrasiveness. Now you're going to say "well that's just who he is", but not all listeners want to hear that style of broadcasting on prime time sports radio, and this thread is one of the locations where listeners can voice their feedback.

It's not "sad" that Lee has so accommodate all listeners, because that's literally his job as a broadcaster, especially if he's on the prime time slot. That's when they have the most listeners, and that's when he should be performing on the top of his game and not finding ways to dissect and piss on "feel good" stories that Ian brings up.

I don't know what trolls you are referring to, but can't help but feel the patronizing tone of your last paragraph. I hope you realize people voicing their displeasure or giving feedback on any topics (including Simmer's performance) is not considered trolling. Nothing I've read in this thread could even remotely considered trolling. It's real listeners of the station and fans of the team giving legitimate feedback to the station, and it's awesome that it's not falling on deaf ears, as Ian is a frequenter here.

I really don't like your notion that feedback === trolling due to the nature of the feedback, and the fact you disagree with it. Because it's not, at all.

I will let you handle the patronizing stuff. That is my opinion on this subject. I disagree with you 100%, but hey, that is forum discussion. Lee Versage is on the radio to be Lee Versage. He is not there to fit in the mould or style that suits you. Ultimately, if he is not good on the radio, JR and staff will make changes. Right?

I think it is hilarious that you made my response about me rather than the subject. The trolls know who they are, and if you think I was referring to you, well, I wasn’t . But they are here and they are easy to find. I find it incredible that you can’t see the trolls, such as the one obsessed with Simmer, and the other “insider” spreading rumours of imminent firings. Don’t let your hate for me get in the way of those beauties

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
It happens everywhere. Overdrive spent about 15 minutes ranking appetizers.

I had a friend who worked in sports radio in another city.

He said the consultants were always encouraging broader "guy talk" with movies, food, etc. Like with almost any sports broadcast, it's hard to lose the hardcores, and you will make or break your ratings with casual fans. NBC pays a ridiculous amount for Olympics and the presentation is geared toward non-sports fans.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It happens everywhere. Overdrive spent about 15 minutes ranking appetizers.
It happens way less on the Toronto sports shows for sure except maybe a couple of shows like with Matt cauz

Overdrive is pretty entertaining with a good amount of sports talk. I think the Ottawa guys just need to do their job and be more informed about different sports imo

Reactions: Chabobombski72

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It happens way less on the Toronto sports shows for sure except maybe a couple of shows like with Matt cauz

Overdrive is pretty entertaining with a good amount of sports talk. I think the Ottawa guys just need to do their job and be more informed about different sports imo
It’s mass media not individual programming.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
I had a friend who worked in sports radio in another city.

He said the consultants were always encouraging broader "guy talk" with movies, food, etc. Like with almost any sports broadcast, it's hard to lose the hardcores, and you will make or break your ratings with casual fans. NBC pays a ridiculous amount for Olympics and the presentation is geared toward non-sports fans.
My issue isn't that they talk about other things that sports it is that some a very rude and arrogant about it. Talking about your SO, your kids, etc is fine just don't constantly make it all your you and brag about it. Or don't insult other as certain ones love to do, making fun of everyones appearance and lack of having his lavish lifestyle.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
My issue isn't that they talk about other things that sports it is that some a very rude and arrogant about it. Talking about your SO, your kids, etc is fine just don't constantly make it all your you and brag about it. Or don't insult other as certain ones love to do, making fun of everyones appearance and lack of having his lavish lifestyle.

If you think Simmer lives a lavish lifestyle, as you have repeatedly suggested, I commend you on having very modest want. Getting the odd free meal and free drink at a work function is torture in my experience.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hence why no one cares about Steve Loyd did over the weekend every week
You should probably tune in to something else. There are literally hundreds of sports stations you can get on the internet. I am sure you can find one to suit your tastes.

Reactions: coladin

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
If you think Simmer lives a lavish lifestyle, as you have repeatedly suggested, I commend you on having very modest want. Getting the odd free meal and free drink at a work function is torture in my experience.
It's more than a few free meals, for someone that likes to complain he has no money he sure lives a Big Shot lifestyle. Expensive vacations, shops only at Ottawa's exclusive menstore's, works out at boutique gyms, can afford to eat out at Ottawa's top restaurant every day, etc. For most people I would say good for them, it's nice to see others enjoy their success; however, for him if didn't treat people who can't afford it like trash I would have more respect for him.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It's more than a few free meals, for someone that likes to complain he has no money he sure lives a Big Shot lifestyle. Expensive vacations, shops only at Ottawa's exclusive menstore's, works out at boutique gyms, can afford to eat out at Ottawa's top restaurant every day, etc. For most people I would say good for them, it's nice to see others enjoy their success; however, for him if didn't treat people who can't afford it like trash I would have more respect for him.

Ok. I guess you missed the part where he was homeless and lived in his freaking car.

Does that help?

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

It's too bad that you feel that way about him. If you don't like him as a radio personality, that's fine. I'll say that I've met him before and he came across as a very honest and humble person who took the time to talk shop with me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any examples of him mistreating others because they are at lower financial levels?

Reactions: Tighthead

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

What is the restaurant he eats at every day? Does he do ads for them on 1200?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lee Versage is on the radio to be Lee Versage

You are a business man so here is my analogy:

There needs be a market for Versage being Versage in order for him to get paid to do it.

I never had a problem with him but clearly, many don't feel that way.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You are a business man so here is my analogy:

There needs be a market for Versage being Versage in order for him to get paid to do it.

I never had a problem with him but clearly, many don't feel that way.

If there is no market for Lee, it will be evident when he is no longer on the air. But he is still there, and if people don’t like him and he gets turfed, so be it. I don’t mind him, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

He is a long-standing radio guy and not for everyone, but that’s the beauty of having more than one radio channel!

Reactions: Radiogirl

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
It's too bad that you feel that way about him. If you don't like him as a radio personality, that's fine. I'll say that I've met him before and he came across as a very honest and humble person who took the time to talk shop with me.
Lucky you, you must be wealthy or powerful etc. I know other like myself who didn't have that experiene and he didn''t have the time of day for us.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Ok. I guess you missed the part where he was homeless and lived in his freaking car.

Does that help?
Only part of his radio persona, and if it was true, you would think he would have more empathy for others. Instead he seems to think he is better than everyone. The story of his past seems to change depending on when and who he's telling the story to. And it must have worked because he have created himself and strong following and place is Ottawa's wealthy and powerful, and unlike other local celebrity he believes he really is Mr Big Shot. You would never see him to reach out to people like Ian does, if you don't worship him you are blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad