The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
So refreshing listening to Bunda and Chreecher host a show where 90% is sports talk. They even discussed the Baltimore Ravens on a station that limits it's NFL discussions to the Pats, Cowboys.

Cheers to TSN Weekends. Lloydie and JR can learn from this show.
Why are you calling them Lloydie and creecher man nobody calls them that

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Best part about team 1200 is they finally got rid of that bum Jim Rome and finally replaced him with an actual sports show with Rich Eisen

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Best part about team 1200 is they finally got rid of that bum Jim Rome and finally replaced him with an actual sports show with Rich Eisen

I couldn't stand jim rome. Just sounded like some tiny person with little guy syndrome who did his best to sound tough and cool, and cared about his image more than his content. Probably never played a sport in his life.

Pretentious little shit.

I'll be happy if I never have to listen to him again.

Reactions: DJB

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dear TSN1200,
In case you weren't aware, the Toronto Raptors are the only Canadian basketball franchise in the NBA and most recently won a Championship. They are currently one of the best teams in the NBA once again, despite losing their superstar player when he bolted to sign with the Clippers. They also won a pretty big statement game last night. It would be wonderful if you could skip all the chat about JRs commute, American Thanksgiving traditions, backyard BBQs and maybe devote one segment a day to discuss the Toronto Raptors since you are a sports radio station.

Thanks.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Dear TSN1200,
In case you weren't aware, the Toronto Raptors are the only Canadian basketball franchise in the NBA and most recently won a Championship. They are currently one of the best teams in the NBA once again, despite losing their superstar player when he bolted to sign with the Clippers. They also won a pretty big statement game last night. It would be wonderful if you could skip all the chat about JRs commute, American Thanksgiving traditions, backyard BBQs and maybe devote one segment a day to discuss the Toronto Raptors since you are a sports radio station.

Thanks.

f*** basketball. I'd rather they talk about movies.

Reactions: dany milkbag

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I liked Jim Rome, he made me laugh.

When he'd tell people to stop writing about a particular topic and then he'd read those e-mails anyway and berate them for doing so. It was a funny bit.

There is so much sports analysis out there that I don't mind a few light-hearted moments along the way.

It's why I like PTI as well.

I'm getting tired of the overly dramatic yelling and faux anger that guys like Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman bring to the table. It's like the Crossfire of sports.

Meanwhile Dan Patrick makes me want to fall asleep.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
**** basketball. I'd rather they talk about movies.

And this right here is the issues with basketball in Ottawa and on TSN1200.

I'm with @BatherSeason on this one, personally, but I'm not naive to the general lack of interest around the sport in Ottawa.

Basketball is the only time I give the station the benefit of the doubt for not covering it with any kind of detail (outside of Three in the Key) because I just assume people turn off their radios. It's disappointing and some level of work should be done to integrate basketball talk into their normal coverage, but I don't blame the station for playing to their audience.

That being said, there's still a heck of a lot to talk about in the sports world and the constant off-topic discussions about commutes and BBQ's is completely overdone and needs to be reigned in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe Ottawa is getting some semi-pro Basketball team so we might just hear more about basketball on this radio station. The Ottawa Blackjacks are suppose to start next yr in the Canadian Elite Basketball league. Ottawa has had a number of very good basketball leagues around town, but especially from the two universities. Should be interesting but I don't see a big turnout for basketball in this city.

Reactions: DJB

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I believe Ottawa is getting some semi-pro Basketball team so we might just hear more about basketball on this radio station. The Ottawa Blackjacks are suppose to start next yr in the Canadian Elite Basketball league. Ottawa has had a number of very good basketball leagues around town, but especially from the two universities. Should be interesting but I don't see a big turnout for basketball in this city.

Well, these semi-pro experiments are painful to watch.

We barely watch professional sports in this town.

It doesn't mean there isn't interest - just not paying customers.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I liked Jim Rome, he made me laugh.

When he'd tell people to stop writing about a particular topic and then he'd read those e-mails anyway and berate them for doing so. It was a funny bit.

There is so much sports analysis out there that I don't mind a few light-hearted moments along the way.

It's why I like PTI as well.

I'm getting tired of the overly dramatic yelling and faux anger that guys like Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman bring to the table. It's like the Crossfire of sports.

Meanwhile Dan Patrick makes me want to fall asleep.

The only thing good about Jim Rome were is interviews they were great, other than that the guy is a complete buffoon and goof who enjoyed hearing his own voice and rustling papers and trying to act cool.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
And this right here is the issues with basketball in Ottawa and on TSN1200.

I'm with @BatherSeason on this one, personally, but I'm not naive to the general lack of interest around the sport in Ottawa.

Basketball is the only time I give the station the benefit of the doubt for not covering it with any kind of detail (outside of Three in the Key) because I just assume people turn off their radios. It's disappointing and some level of work should be done to integrate basketball talk into their normal coverage, but I don't blame the station for playing to their audience.

That being said, there's still a heck of a lot to talk about in the sports world and the constant off-topic discussions about commutes and BBQ's is completely overdone and needs to be reigned in.
I disagree, I do think that there is interes, the station just doesn't have the knowledge necessary to cover it. The Raps are a big story. A record number of people watched their Championship run. I am willing to bet that more people turn off their radio's when JR and Simmer discuss Thanksgiving than when they discuss the Raps. I'm not asking for much, just maybe once a week have someone on a show, any show to talk Raps.

Reactions: Hockeytalk2424

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The only thing good about Jim Rome were is interviews they were great, other than that the guy is a complete buffoon and goof who enjoyed hearing his own voice and rustling papers and trying to act cool.

What's funny is that I completely agree.

I'm a big fan of Jay and Dan but I know people who absolutely despise them and who just want their sports highlights straight with no chaser.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well, these semi-pro experiments are painful to watch.

We barely watch professional sports in this town.

It doesn't mean there isn't interest - just not paying customers.

Agreed, I don't see it doing well here either. Too bad because basketball can be a very entertaining game, I'm not a big NBA guy, I have always preferred the NCAA basketball game over the pro game especially March Madness time of the yr. I had a buddy who attended Virginia University during the Ralph Samson era & got to see it first hand. Nothing beats NCAA basketball fever during March Madness in a University town.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Rome is the funniest and smartest sports talk show host and it isn't even close.

I've nearly crashed my car laughing during his show.

The whole show is based around the phony facade that he is a genius and the clones are morons, but it is obviously not meant to be taken seriously as he constantly lets listeners have their takes and then repeats them over and over again.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have often found Rome to be a guilty pleasure - I shouldn't laugh at his shtick, but I do. His longstanding takes on "Softball Guy", "Gym Guy", "Bracket Guy", and my favourite, "Likes to Fight Guy" are hilarious. He doesn't take himself all that seriously either - it's all part of the act. His takes on misbehaving athletes are pretty funny also - he's going to crack on the guy for a good half an hour or so.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I have often found Rome to be a guilty pleasure - I shouldn't laugh at his shtick, but I do. His longstanding takes on "Softball Guy", "Gym Guy", "Bracket Guy", and my favourite, "Likes to Fight Guy" are hilarious. He doesn't take himself all that seriously either - it's all part of the act. His takes on misbehaving athletes are pretty funny also - he's going to crack on the guy for a good half an hour or so.

Those are all good ones. Star Canadian Linebacker, BISP and Larry Brown’s crank were great moments.

Rome’s shtick suited a younger man, so it’s became a little tired. Most of the legendary callers outgrew it, which is to be expected.

He used to be pretty vicious. He’s not proud of the Rat Family. I did like when Gordie Howe was going to take an AHL shift as a stunt and Rome was offering up a bounty.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Dear TSN1200,

Thanks.

Maybe you need to wake up earlier....they spent 1/3rd of my drive to work talking about basketball when they should have been talking hockey after a sens game last night

But hey....here's an idea for you....you seem to want to listen to what you want to listen to when you want to listen to it... but radio programming doesn't really work that way....maybe you should investigate the podcast market a bit more as it likely suits your on demand need

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Maybe you need to wake up earlier....they spent 1/3rd of my drive to work talking about basketball when they should have been talking hockey after a sens game last night

But hey....here's an idea for you....you seem to want to listen to what you want to listen to when you want to listen to it... but radio programming doesn't really work that way....maybe you should investigate the podcast market a bit more as it likely suits your on demand need
Thanks. I will consider your recommendation.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thanks. I will consider your recommendation.
Seriously on my drive to work from Orleans to downtown they talked nfl and nba. Not hockey. The day after a Sens game. I was surprised by that, and not pleasantly.

So maybe it is an issue of when you are listening

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
Seriously on my drive to work from Orleans to downtown they talked nfl and nba. Not hockey. The day after a Sens game. I was surprised by that, and not pleasantly.

So maybe it is an issue of when you are listening
My co worker calculated the times that Steve Lloyd John rodenburg and Shawn Simpson go off topic and don’t talk sports and it was roughly have there shows where they talk about stupid stuff that nobody cares about like weather, commutes, food, and other stupid and waste of air time stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad