The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Please tell me he didn't really go there. I mean, we know Brennan is a hack, but that's just absurd, no player in the league could do any different with the turd roster and coaching behind them.

He did. I believe he was doing his best devil's advocate impression, but his whole rant was just embarrassing. I felt dumber after having listened to that take.

Reactions: Gesus

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
How was it? I can only assume that they turtled just like they do with Dorion and everyone else they bring on the show.

Yep, they are cowards. They even played the clip and cut off the awkward stupid part of when Pierre was embarrassing himself. They didn't ask him about, and he didn't address it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yep, they are cowards. They even played the clip and cut off the awkward stupid part of when Pierre was embarrassing himself. They didn't ask him about, and he didn't address it.

Cowards lol.

How dare they not ask the hard hitting question about awkward Pierre being awkward.

Those cowardly scallywags!

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
How was it? I can only assume that they turtled just like they do with Dorion and everyone else they bring on the show.
They gave Pierre an opening by mentioning that he had a special guest in between the benches. PM just said how great she is and that they shared a cab ride to the airport. I guess to show that while Twitter may have exploded and the New Yorker may have been upset, it didn't phase him. He didn't address it at all. I'm not sure he would even understand why it was cringe-worthy or condescending. I think JR and Steve decided that since he didn't address it himself after they brought it up, that there wasn't much point. TGOR isn't really the vehicle to go after hard hitting stories. And I guess that's probably a good thing. Lol. I like it to be somewhat light during the morning commute.

Pierre McGuire Mansplains Hockey to Olympic Champ Kendall Coyne
At N.H.L.’s All-Star Weekend, Female Players Prove Their Excellence, but NBC Can’t Keep Up

Reactions: Upgrayedd

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I dunno about that. JR had a bit of a double entrendre about how Coyne was really good at providing analysis and may take Pierre's job. Which incidentally was the mantra of about 95% of the Twitter posts circulating (i.e. replace PM with Coyne Schofield). My eyebrows definitely went up when JR said that. But PM didn't seem to either get the reference or be willing to address it. Life moves on.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Pierre is awkward with dudes for three decades, but now this is suddenly a huge deal because New Media wants their pound of flesh.

I think this is such a ridiculous nothing incident.

And I don't even like the guy.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Pierre is awkward with dudes for three decades, but now this is suddenly a huge deal because New Media wants their pound of flesh.

I think this is such a ridiculous nothing incident.

And I don't even like the guy.

Eh, I kind of think he crossed the line last night. I get that he's a weird awkward guy, but that "we're paying you to be an analyst not a fan comment" may have (inadvertently obviously) been his worst comment to date.

I agree with slamigo that TGOR isn't the place to take him to task over it, but I understand why other media outlets are. Hockey is an "old boys club" and comments like that (whether intentional or not) continue to perpetrate that.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think this one is probably the worst and could legit be called sexual harassment.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Basically, if Daniel Alfredsson had joined PM between the benches, I doubt PM would have explained to Alfie which team is where and that he is there to analyze and not be a fan. So that's a bit sexist and condescending.
However, IF that had happened to Alfie, Alfie probably would have said 'Dude, wtf? I know hockey' or more likely a polite version of that. If Alfie had glossed over it and continued on in a professional manner, nobody would be coming to his rescue. The mighty Internet machine would not have sprung to action to shield Alfie and protect him from Pierre's condescension. So the fact that everyone is mad because she's a girl is, in a way, promoting the same sexist attitudes that PM is being accused of.

Kendall Coyne Schofield can stand on her own two feet and put people in their place IF SHE CHOOSES TO DO SO. She doesn't need Twitter warriors for that. She's strong enough to make her own decisions and determine how to handle herself.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think Coyne Schofield was lucky to be sparred Pierre talking about how he knew Scotty Bowman. This is standard PM, he gets on Ottawa radio and explains to the diehard 1200 listeners things like ‘fans have to understand your Power Play won’t scote every game’ and ‘paying customers don’t understand how hard it is to score’ - so Coyne Schoffield knows who PM is, she just had it happen to her face this time.

I mean, Pierre Mcquire means no harm and is who is is. I don’t think there is any Ill intent here and to anyone who thinks this is sexist - PM would explain to Gretzky how much space is behind a net or to Patrick Roy how can catch a hockey puck.

Nothing to really see here but standard operating procedure IMO. That being said, more woman analysts in hockey would be a good thing. Juat beware of the ackward people, but that’s for every job place.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Basically, if Daniel Alfredsson had joined PM between the benches, I doubt PM would have explained to Alfie which team is where and that he is there to analyze and not be a fan. So that's a bit sexist and condescending.
However, IF that had happened to Alfie, Alfie probably would have said 'Dude, wtf? I know hockey' or more likely a polite version of that. If Alfie had glossed over it and continued on in a professional manner, nobody would be coming to his rescue. The mighty Internet machine would not have sprung to action to shield Alfie and protect him from Pierre's condescension. So the fact that everyone is mad because she's a girl is, in a way, promoting the same sexist attitudes that PM is being accused of.

Kendall Coyne Schofield can stand on her own two feet and put people in their place IF SHE CHOOSES TO DO SO. She doesn't need Twitter warriors for that. She's strong enough to make her own decisions and determine how to handle herself.

But that's precisely the point with any kind of condescension/harassment at work; you can't do that if you want to keep your job. Sure, Coyne could have told him to f*** off, and then she would never work a game for NBC again. It's not about gender, it's about power imbalance. Same reason a guy as jacked as Terry Crews can be harassed by someone and not be able to do anything about it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
But that's precisely the point with any kind of condescension/harassment at work; you can't do that if you want to keep your job. Sure, Coyne could have told him to **** off, and then she would never work a game for NBC again. It's not about gender, it's about power imbalance. Same reason a guy as jacked as Terry Crews can be harassed by someone and not be able to do anything about it.

Sports talk on radio or TV is base information or no information repeated over and over again until the time slot is filled. If anyone is looking for anything beyond children talking to each other about sound bit clips, refer to Coyne’s answer, that was basic low information sports talk that fills 98% of all sports talk.

Tony Romo called a play in the NFL and is on the cover on the NYT and Washington Post on the same day - that’s how little information is conveyed during a 4 hour sporting event that if an analyst actually gets anything correct or gives you information that is precise, it’s literal front Page news across the continent and the man is considered a guru.

So Macquire explaining that teams play on either side of the ice is like Dreger speaking for 3 straight minutes about ‘is there intention to trade him, maybe, would they trade him for the right price, absolutely, are they just going to give him away, no chance.’

It’s hard to accept we spend our time wasting it on grade 1 level thinking and info exchange. But that is the truth

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It’s hatd to accept we spend our time wasting it on grade 1 level thinking and info exchange. But that is the truth
I completely agree with this and I find hockey is the worst out of all the professional sports. Your Dreger comment is spot on. How can so many insiders say so much but really say so little at the same time. So much information about nothing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The trade deadline shows are the absolute worst!

I prefer to check in here for new threads regarding our trades, and then watch a complete break down of all of the days events after the fact when most of the speculation and marketing hype drops off in favour of facts and analysis.

The hype is so far from news I’m interested in it’s not funny. It reminds of Lebron and his first move to Miami...

Pandering to the lowest common denominator crap! :)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
As an aside, Pierre's seeming inability to relate to current reality in conjunction with his lack of awareness and finally outdated beliefs on the sport would slide perfectly into a Sens management position!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As an aside, Pierre's seeming inability to relate to current reality in conjunction with his lack of awareness and finally outdated beliefs on the sport would slide perfectly into a Sens management position!

I mean simmer was giving Wolrd Cup Analasys and he didn’t even know how many players each side fields, he kept talking, I kept listening.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
But that's precisely the point with any kind of condescension/harassment at work; you can't do that if you want to keep your job. Sure, Coyne could have told him to **** off, and then she would never work a game for NBC again. It's not about gender, it's about power imbalance. Same reason a guy as jacked as Terry Crews can be harassed by someone and not be able to do anything about it.
I wholeheartedly agree about power imbalance. I guess I just did not equate Pierre McGuire as having a position of authority or power over Coyne. I sincerely hope he has no decision making authority over at NBC. Yikes. I just see him as a talking head. I used to like hearing his insights on the game but it has become abundantly clear that he no longer has any.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I didn’t take his comment as an insult to her intelligence or gender. She made a comment about how excited she personally was to be there and he used it to seque to get her to focus on the two teams infront of her. You could argue he was making the game the main issue and not the gender of his partner between the benches.

If anything he treated her like a “newbie” . PM is obviously aware of her hockey IQ.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I wholeheartedly agree about power imbalance. I guess I just did not equate Pierre McGuire as having a position of authority or power over Coyne. I sincerely hope he has no decision making authority over at NBC. Yikes. I just see him as a talking head. I used to like hearing his insights on the game but it has become abundantly clear that he no longer has any.

Well, I don't think he has any decision making authority at NBC, but he's been with the network for what, decades? He's one of their "star" analysts, whereas Coyne was making her very first appearance on the network. In that scenario, I think it's fair to assume the network would back him over her.

The thing with McGuire is that he has NEVER learned from his past actions. He's always made weird comments, whether it's because he's socially awkward or autistic or just generally creepy. At a certain point, people get fed up when your creepiness reaches critical mass. I mean hell, he weirdly grabbed Coyne's hips at the all star game just a few days ago. You'd think he'd be careful with her in the broadcast booth not to do anything strange.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If you want to hear Pierre's response and feelings about the incident at length, just listen to the recording of his hit on TSN690 today. They covered it in detail.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Steve and JR are just ripping Duchene this morning. "Dragging his feet in order to force them to trade him but not look like the bad guy", "second him he will have pushed his way out of a city", "when the going gets tough, Duchene gets going".

I hate this organization and I hate their spineless monkey media personel. This from a rabid Sens fan. I hate it.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Steve and JR are just ripping Duchene this morning. "Dragging his feet in order to force them to trade him but not look like the bad guy", "second him he will have pushed his way out of a city", "when the going gets tough, Duchene gets going".

I hate this organization and I hate their spineless monkey media personel. This from a rabid Sens fan. I hate it.

LOL as predicted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad