The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
How are people still surprised by this ? ( not Ian Mendes talk here)

I legit feel gaslighted. Every time a star leaves the drive by media shots start before their departure .

It literally just happened with Karlsson. Duchene is starting to get it now.

It happened with Alfreddson and Spezza

I said months ago the real interesting one is gonna be Stone.

If he leaves and you see attacks on him or you start to see shots at Stone too in next two weeks... Well you'll know what the game is, and if you still refuse to see reality then you are beyond saving.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It always amuses me how when you show up and drop some fact bombs, people usually get quiet.

Some of us, probably most of us enjoy and respect the job you and most of the guys at the station do.
A bomb? He defended himself, good for him. I am not gonna "get quiet". I am an adult I'm not scared of big bad Ian and this is a message board. The station is bad. Period. That's my opinion and don't really care if you share that opinion, there are plenty others that do. Listen to any of the other TSN affiliate stations and tell me why we can't have the same quality of analysis and discussion around our hockey team. Would Jeff Molson be getting a free ride on Montreal radio if he was driving his franchise to the ground? Here in Ottawa we have helped enable our management and owner to do what he is doing. Only recently has the narrative started to change and only slightly.

As for Ian, love the fact that you are here defending yourself and appreciate the open dialogue and I can only imagine covering this team is exhausting. However, in my opinion the product has slipped. Not nearly as bad as the other two shows but not nearly as good as it used to be. Having Versage riding shotgun certainly doesn't help.

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
We are miles away from J.R. on More On Sports actively criticizing the team, its management, its plan.
Those were the best days of the station. J.R. still asks the toughest questions, but it's to Pierre McGuire these days.
Good on him. Simmer does his fair share as well, I'll give him that much.

TWSS was good the other night. They aren't talking a lot about the Sens though, which is understandable.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Let me respond to the idea that I’ve “slipped lately” with the quality of my work and that I just read texts on the air.

I will read a handful of texts each hour and that is not the starting point for my talk show. That comes with the prep work we put into each show, which has a comprehensive outline for the topics we’re going to try and tackle. So to suggest I’ve decided to avoid talking about the Sens UFA situation and simply read some texts is an outright mischaracterization of what happens in my time slot.

I did say that I’m not going to waste 4 hours each day wondering what’s going to happen with the UFAs because there are other things to touch on. And we are going to have our answer with the Sens UFAs — one way or another — in the next 10 days. So we can fill up the airwaves with crazy speculation or we can try and have intelligent conversations about a myriad of other topics in the sports world — Sens included. But they were off for 9 days and I think it was a nice time to break away from talking about them and focus on the Super Bowl, other NHL topics and things of that nature.

When it warrants talking about the Sens and the UFAs, we’ll do it — and we’ll break it down appropriately. Thursday is a great example of that. Matt Duchene spoke at length about his situation and we played that in its entirety around 5pm and then we scrapped the usual Leftover 5 to focus on the Sens UFA talk in light of Duchene’s comments. That was a whole hour of a show talking about the Sens and their UFAs because there was something new to analyze and discuss.

If you want to criticize me for not spending 4 hours per day talking about the Sens UFA situation, I’m cool with that. But the above paragraphs are my rationale for my coverage on radio.

And strap yourselves in because the next 3+ weeks is going to be wall-to-wall talk about the state of the Sens.
I look forward to this Ian.

I know you guys have to tread lightly, but I'd like to hear a lot more about the state of ownership/management and WHY it's come this, and not just speculation about where the UFA's are going and what they might return.

Whatever happens, please do not help perpetuate the myths put out there to assassinate players' character as they leave like we've seen with so many others and now Duchene.

Reactions: Bean Drown

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Simmer wisdom this morning:

Warne: "Will Brady Tkachuk get out of this slump?"

Simmer: "Yes, he has hands and does things"

Tell me again that this station is on par with TSN690..

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Simmer wisdom this morning:

Warne: "Will Brady Tkachuk get out of this slump?"

Simmer: "Yes, he has hands and does things"

Tell me again that this station is on par with TSN690..

Who has the time to listen to TSN690, and TSN1200?

Oh, a Habs fan might?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
How many other sports stations are available?

there is more than just sports to listen to, there are few decent talk/news radio stations in the Ottawa that deal with issues that Ottawians(?) should be informed on.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
there is more than just sports to listen to, there are few decent talk/news radio stations in the Ottawa that deal with issues that Ottawians(?) should be informed on.

But if they would like to listen to sports talk and TSN 1200 is on one of ther many commercial breaks, are there alternatives besides 690?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Apparently it’s a recording. Either way I’m expecting questions like “how hard is it to manage a hockey team”.

Compared to last year, do you think the locker room has improved”

“What do you think tierney boedker and the new guys have brought to the team?”

Reactions: Icelevel

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Apparently it’s a recording. Either way I’m expecting questions like “how hard is it to manage a hockey team”.

Compared to last year, do you think the locker room has improved”

“What do you think tierney boedker and the new guys have brought to the team?”

That would be incredibly disappointing. Maybe from Warne or Steve Lloyd or something, but I hold Mendes to a higher standard than that. Hoping the reason it's pre-recorded is to give Dorion some time to answer thoughtfully because the questions are at least somewhat hard hitting.

I'm sure I'm getting my hopes up over nothing, but this seems like a really strange time for Dorion to make a radio appearance unless it's to pre-emtively get in front of a trade (in which case some hard hitting questions would be valid).

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Missed the interview, was there any substance at all this time around? If so can anyone summarize the key point(s) quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad