The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Excited for the young guys we've been developing. Won't talk about UFAs, negotiations ongoing. That's about it.

Interesting, I guess personally unless he announces a sale there's nothing that could come out of his mouth at this time that would move the needle towards the positive for me! Not much said it seems nor really should he be revealing anything I suppose at this time, the good one should be after his next round of damage is done, post deadline!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Interesting, I guess personally unless he announces a sale there's nothing that could come out of his mouth at this time that would move the needle towards the positive for me! Not much said it seems nor really should he be revealing anything I suppose at this time, the good one should be after his next round of damage is done, post deadline!
I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that there were no difficult questions asked.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
That interview felt like...

1141680.gif

Reactions: h2owned and FlyingJ

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Were still waiting on the first "difficult" question to be posed to this owner and management team in its history...today was not the day!
I am shocked! Poor Ian, he must have cringed when he was given the pre-scripted questions.

Ian is better than that, he knows what people want asked, but it really seems as though he can't. Tough position to be in.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingJ

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that there were no difficult questions asked.
Not one. Pathetic. C'mon @ianmendes this just came off as an interview where they wrote the script before it even started.

At least the season ticket holders and small business reps had the balls to ask them at the private event held on Saturday that Dorion apparently said his piece at and bolted for Ruzskowski to fill the air with nothing long winded spin responses.

Next three weeks will define Senators' direction for years to come - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Not one. Pathetic Ian.

At least the season ticket holders and small business reps had the balls to ask them at the private event held on Saturday that Dorion apparently said his piece at and bolted for Rutkowski to fill the air with nothing long winded spin responses.

Next three weeks will define Senators' direction for years to come - Sportsnet.ca
We are honestly at the point that some of these media types have to start being embarrassed in the quality of information they are providing to this fanbase. We literally went from months of Karlsson bashing while at the same time preaching that both Duchene/Stone are going to be re-signed, to immediately pulling a 180 and discussing returns for both players without ever touching on the reasons why this may be happening, or at how bad these returns have actually been.

Reactions: Gesus

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Not one. Pathetic. C'mon @ianmendes this just came off as an interview where they wrote the script before it even started.

At least the season ticket holders and small business reps had the balls to ask them at the private event held on Saturday that Dorion apparently said his piece at and bolted for Rutkowski to fill the air with nothing long winded spin responses.

lol when season ticket holders do a better job than the city`s media. What an embarrassment.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure what kind of questions you guys expect Ian to ask, it's not a witch hunt, he's not trying to chastise the GM of the team he covers. He's not going to cross-examine him.

Dorion likely scheduled this meeting, it's likely the questions were known prior too, and Ian is the obvious guy to be asking them as he's the best guy in the city for covering the Sens.

It's easy for all of us to want someone to rake Dorion over the coals, as I'd love for that to happen, but it's another for a professional to do it with their reputation and team access on the line.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We are honestly at the point that some of these media types have to start being embarrassed in the quality of information they are providing to this fanbase. We literally went from months of Karlsson bashing while at the same time preaching that both Duchene/Stone are going to be re-signed, to immediately pulling a 180 and discussing returns for both players without ever touching on the reasons why this may be happening, or at how bad these returns have actually been.
Ya know, I see a fair bit of honesty on Sportsnet from Scanlan and the Round Table crew, but TSN and TSN1200 just seems to tow the line for them. That TSN tv deal and TSN1200 only existing because of the Senators is standing in the way of any honest sports journalism.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ya know, I see a fair bit of honesty on Sportsnet from Scanlan and the Round Table crew, but TSN and TSN1200 just seems to tow the line for them. That TSN tv deal and TSN1200 only existing because of the Senators is standing in the way of any honest sports journalism.

Yep, noticed that with TSN television as well. Seems like everyone is scared of big bad Scroogene.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not sure what kind of questions you guys expect Ian to ask, it's not a witch hunt, he's not trying to chastise the GM of the team he covers. He's not going to cross-examine him.

Dorion likely scheduled this meeting, it's likely the questions were known prior too, and Ian is the obvious guy to be asking them as he's the best guy in the city for covering the Sens.

It's easy for all of us to want someone to rake Dorion over the coals, as I'd love for that to happen, but it's another for a professional to do it with their reputation and team access on the line.
They just shouldn't bother then. This feels like more of a shot at the fans than anything. Dorion gets to parrot himself out there and control the entire interview with more bs. They won't engage with anything they can't dictate.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They just shouldn't bother then. This feels like more of a shot at the fans than anything. Dorion gets to parrot himself out there and control the entire interview with more bs. They won't engage with anything they can't dictate.
If the GM of the team that is pretty much the whole reason for the existence of your radio station is asking for an interview, or if you get an interview with him, you are going to do so in a cordial manner.

Are there any interviews with Mendes types from across the league who have confrontational type interviews with the GM's of the teams they cover? Mendes pushing back with damning questions would be considered confrontational at this point in time.

Scanlan is doing a fine job, but Dorion isn't involved in that process at all. It's very easy for others to chastise and call out management when they don't have to deal with them whatsoever.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Once said by Mendes in this thread:

I don't know anything beyond what's been floated out there and that's pure speculation. The idea that we're under some sort of "gag order" is simply untrue.

Is this still untrue?
Tim & Sid are a couple others that have called it like it is. I know they're polarizing figures, but I've appreciated their Sens discussions.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If the GM of the team that is pretty much the whole reason for the existence of your radio station is asking for an interview, or if you get an interview with him, you are going to do so in a cordial manner.

Are there any interviews with Mendes types from across the league who have confrontational type interviews with the GM's of the teams they cover?
I get it, TSN1200 is not the avenue for it because of the affiliation, but it's also the only place this team is willing to do this with BECAUSE they get to control the message. It's a pathetic look and unfortunately for Ian and his team, it makes them look like complicit lackeys. If it becomes a confrontation then it's on Dorion. No reason an interviewer can't ask for more clarity, more follow-up, more pointing out statistics and pointing out poor judgements based on results. The only reason I see it as a confrontation is because this organization can't handle the criticism and wants to just keep telling us to eat it and like it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I am shocked! Poor Ian, he must have cringed when he was given the pre-scripted questions.

Ian is better than that, he knows what people want asked, but it really seems as though he can't. Tough position to be in.

Id have no issues with the radio station throwing the first punches but assume they are financially motivated not too, has to be the reason in today's day and age that this topic has been avoided at all costs. I don't listen to 1200 for serious insight or anything like that personally and mostly just for the odd laugh when im not listening to tunes or podcasts.

Im disappointed in the traditional media who I can only assume are also financially motivated to avoid the story, everyone has a line on everything here in 2019 yet this specific story regarding the unwillingness or inability to properly fund a pro hockey team in canada is being reported on like were back in the 1950's again.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

You can ask follow-up questions while being civil. That's what a journalist does (even when they're covering a topic as inconsequential as pro sports).

Here's a prime example:

For months, Pierre Dorion walked around saying that he can't have any discussions with Erik Karlsson before July 1st. During that time, reports were everywhere OEL agreeing, in principle, to an extension with the Coyotes before July 1st. Not once, did anyone ask Dorion, "Why is the OEL situation different from Karlsson?" They took the stance of - well if Pierre says it, it must be true.

Personally, I don't listen to TSN 1200 for that reason, so I don't know what was said in today's interview, but I'm assuming it was just a forum for Dorion to hear his own voice, with Mendes being as "polite" as he can be.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I get it, TSN1200 is not the avenue for it because of the affiliation, but it's also the only place this team is willing to do this with BECAUSE they get to control the message. It's a pathetic look and unfortunately for Ian and his team, it makes them look like complicit lackeys. If it becomes a confrontation then it's on Dorion. No reason an interviewer can't ask for more clarity, more follow-up, more pointing out statistics and pointing out poor judgements based on results. The only reason I see it as a confrontation is because this organization can't handle the criticism and wants to just keep telling us to eat it and like it.
Of course the team is controlling the message, if there is anything that we've learned it's that they try and spin their web of deceit as far as they can by pushing narratives and creating certain talking points.

I'm sure Ian will be doing some follow up on this, and for the most part people should be able to see the awful reasoning and things Dorion had said during it. I don't think Mendes needed to fire back at Dorion's terrible "thought we'd contend" bit, if he had, that wouldn't look too good on him or the station for putting Pierre on the spot (as much as we'd all have loved for it to happen).

The teams message is going to get out, and Team 1200 has been, and will continue to be the avenue for this, as they have and get special access to the team that other media does not.

It's part of the beast.

I know in my line of work I will say that a contractor is doing some shady things when it doesn't involve my company, but I certainly would have to think twice with any contractors who happen to be my client.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Are there any interviews with Mendes types from across the league who have confrontational type interviews with the GM's of the teams they cover? Mendes pushing back with damning questions would be considered confrontational at this point in time.

Scanlan is doing a fine job, but Dorion isn't involved in that process at all. It's very easy for others to chastise and call out management when they don't have to deal with them whatsoever.

Listen to some of the interviews Dubas has done. He's been getting asked tough questions, with follow-ups, about Nylander, Matthews, etc all year. And he gives thoughtful, reasoned answers without getting offended.

Mende's job is to ask probing questions, and follow-up when there are clear holes in statements.
Dorion's job is to answer them, or decline when he can't give more information.

They should both be able to do their jobs without anyone's feelings getting hurt and have a beer afterwards.

At the end of the day, it's the NHL, none of this really matters.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
How about a follow up question like: if you are hoping to sign all 3 UFAs and Duchene and Dzingel would likely require significant raises to retain, does that mean if you are unsuccessful with signings that you would be willing to take on salary for similar established players via trade, or maybe shore up significant shortcomings by putting those planned salary dollars into free agents?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Listen to some of the interviews Dubas has done. He's been getting asked tough questions, with follow-ups, about Nylander, Matthews, etc all year. And he gives thoughtful, reasoned answers without getting offended.

Mende's job is to ask probing questions, and follow-up when there are clear holes in statements.
Dorion's job is to answer them, or decline when he can't give more information.

They should both be able to do their jobs without anyone's feelings getting hurt and have a beer afterwards.

At the end of the day, it's the NHL, none of this really matters.
This is the same team who said that they didn't appreciate the way that the media was covering the team, and then pretty much blacklisted the media at end of season events.

I don't think they are very good not getting their feelings hurt

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Of course the team is controlling the message, if there is anything that we've learned it's that they try and spin their web of deceit as far as they can by pushing narratives and creating certain talking points.

I'm sure Ian will be doing some follow up on this, and for the most part people should be able to see the awful reasoning and things Dorion had said during it. I don't think Mendes needed to fire back at Dorion's terrible "thought we'd contend" bit, if he had, that wouldn't look too good on him or the station for putting Pierre on the spot (as much as we'd all have loved for it to happen).

The teams message is going to get out, and Team 1200 has been, and will continue to be the avenue for this, as they have and get special access to the team that other media does not.

It's part of the beast.

I know in my line of work I will say that a contractor is doing some shady things when it doesn't involve my company, but I certainly would have to think twice with any contractors who happen to be my client.
I still don't think they need to be this fluffy, but ya they probably don't get interviews after that as we've seen with this team.

Either way, if that is their role as you describe, then they deserve to be called out for it, and there's no point in Ian coming on this forum trying to defend it as if we're wrong, just accept you represent them, not the fans. You don't get to keep your cake and eat it too.

Reactions: stempniaksen

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This is the same team who said that they didn't appreciate the way that the media was covering the team, and then pretty much blacklisted the media at end of season events.

I don't think they are very good not getting their feelings hurt
What is the alternative?? Is the hockey team going to run to 1310 and suddenly grant them the rights to broadcast the games? Or Sportsnet for the TV rights. It don't think its as simple as that. Are they going to create their own radio station?

If the team bans them from getting locker room access, they are only shooting themselves in the foot. Some coverage, even if its negative is better than no coverage.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still don't think they need to be this fluffy, but ya they probably don't get interviews after that as we've seen with this team.

Either way, if that is their role as you describe, then they deserve to be called out for it, and there's no point in Ian coming on this forum trying to defend it as if we're wrong, just accept you represent them, not the fans. You don't get to keep your cake and eat it too.

This is exactly where I'm at. I respect Ian, and understand the predicament he's in as far as trying to balance representing the interest of the team and the fan base, but today's interview was the definition of fluff piece given what's going around the team right now. I don't need him coming in here patronizing fans and implying that we're all out to lunch when it's clear what the directive form the team has been.

Reactions: h2owned and Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I doubt they're going to go out and say "this team sucks! Worst team in the NHL! Now please sit back and watch the game so our sponsors don't kill us!" They've got to hype up the product they're trying to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad