The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wellington Diner breaks the Wideman signing, Ken Warren gets the Claessen signing wrong. These things happen and Warren corrected himself so no big deal, but it makes you stop for a second and wonder if anything in Ottawa is going right.

Garrioche reporting that the club is in no rush to trade EK - what? Why did they even bring it up then? Why evengo there if you don't feel any pressure to trade him. Garrioche obviously doing Dorion a solid and trying to chnage the dialogue around EK - but when does a trade after the draft ever get better? Teams are waiting for John Carlsson to sign - seriously?? We are expected to believe that? John Carlsson is a good hockey player but that's like the NHL waiting to trade for Connor Macdavid because Jason Spezza is available.

And the Spezza, Heatley, Brassard trades all happened after the draft - did we win any one of those trades. When is the management in Ottawa going take notice they have consistently lost every big trade they have been in since Heatley.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Does anyone care about listening to Korea vs Germany?

If TSN 1200 plays soccer over free agency in any way on Sunday I will stop listening for the rest of the summer.

Croatia vs Denmark? really?

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Soccer is by far the worst sport for play-by-play on the radio. It's bad enough that not much is happening, but add in the thick accent and it is absolute gibberish.
As a joke, I let it play for a few minutes while driving and asked my teenage kids to explain to me what they heard.

Uh, someone was menacing. Someone was prowling. (those were the words used, I heard it too)
Someone was greatly something or other, couldn't make it out.
Something happened near the side but I don't know what.

Yeah, fantastic radio. Such a horrible idea. It is solidly reinforcing my habit of just listening to Apple Music while I drive. I even started listening to IHEARTRADIO to find OTHER stations that were actually willing to talk about hockey. Radio listening is a habit. Once you get used to a station, you typically stick with it. Sort of like grocery stores. This soccer nonsense has forced me to find another station.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Did anybody catch Steve W's "Dzingle does everything as well as Hoffman take"?

JR called him on it, with particular reference to Hoff's shot, and the bonehead double down on his stupidity.

Too funny.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Gotta admit, as someone who played competitive soccer for a decade growing up and still plays to this day, if i hear soccer on the radio i immediately switch off.

Most of my friends didnt and don't play as much soccer as me, and wouldn't listen either. Which leads me to wondering if they would get more viewers airing some european soccer team vs some african soccer team OR talking about the redblacks and sens offseason shit show?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is the biggest sports related event going on in the world right now, of course the station is gonna cover it. Especially when there's literally nothing to talk about in regards to the Sens except for development camp stuff, which is nice to hear about, but I also don't need 12 hours of it. I rarely defend the station, but it seems like a bit of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. Just as many people would be asking where the WC coverage was if the stuck to their normal programming and talked sens and Redblacks.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This is the biggest sports related event going on in the world right now, of course the station is gonna cover it. Especially when there's literally nothing to talk about in regards to the Sens except for development camp stuff, which is nice to hear about, but I also don't need 12 hours of it. I rarely defend the station, but it seems like a bit of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. Just as many people would be asking where the WC coverage was if the stuck to their normal programming and talked sens and Redblacks.
This. It can't be everything for everyone all the time. I'm not a soccer fan and I'm not tuning in, but I'm sure there are plenty of listeners glad their sport is getting coverage.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This. It can't be everything for everyone all the time. I'm not a soccer fan and I'm not tuning in, but I'm sure there are plenty of listeners glad their sport is getting coverage.
I completely agree. I understand them broadcasting the masters, indy 500, World cup of hockey etc. I just don't think the average listeners tun into the radio station to listen to those specifically especially with the streaming capabilities of phones today. 10 years ago the radio would be doing a service. I pretty much hate all weekday sports on the radio.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Did anybody catch Steve W's "Dzingle does everything as well as Hoffman take"?

JR called him on it, with particular reference to Hoff's shot, and the bonehead double down on his stupidity.

Too funny.

He said the only place Hoffman was better than Dzingle was his shot. I tend to agree with that.

I think if Dzingle scores 5-10 more goals a year, he's a better overall player.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
He said the only place Hoffman was better than Dzingle was his shot. I tend to agree with that.

Hoffman thought the game at a much higher level it seems. Dzingle’s inability to finish (which is actually getting to be less of a concern, mind you) is probably associated with a lower hockey IQ.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Nope...he said Dzingle's shot was just as good.

Referenced Dzingle wiring one at some point last year and said that Dzingle's shot was like Spezza's in that he should use it some more.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Hoffman thought the game at a much higher level it seems. Dzingle’s inability to finish (which is actually getting to be less of a concern, mind you) is probably associated with a lower hockey IQ.

Yeah I agree with that. Dzingle's finishing has always frustrated me, but I found last year he was way better in that department. If he keeps improving, I could see him as almost an equal.

Nope...he said Dzingle's shot was just as good.

Referenced Dzingle wiring one at some point last year and said that Dzingle's shot was like Spezza's in that he should use it some more.

I'm going to have to go back and listen to it, but I'm almost sure when JR called him out about that he acknowledged that Hoffman's shot was better and then went on about Dzingle's being underrated.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah I agree with that. Dzingle's finishing has always frustrated me, but I found last year he was way better in that department. If he keeps improving, I could see him as almost an equal.

Dzingel could find a lamp with a wish-giving genie in it that only gives hockey-related wishes, and he probably would still never be Hoffman's equal as far as scoring instincts is concerned.

I mean, Dzingel could be fine in that regard, but comparing him to Hoffman in that regard seems kind of silly. There's a huge gap between the two, and Dzingel isn't a prospect anymore.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Dzingel could find a lamp with a wish-giving genie in it that only gives hockey-related wishes, and he probably would still never be Hoffman's equal as far as scoring instincts is concerned.

I mean, Dzingel could be fine in that regard, but comparing him to Hoffman in that regard seems kind of silly. There's a huge gap between the two, and Dzingel isn't a prospect anymore.

He took a big step last year IMO. I never said he was a prospect, but he is still in his prime, he can still slightly improve year to year.

He outscored Hoffman last year. I know there were outside issues with Hoffman that could of influenced his stats. But I still don't think it's that huge of a leap to say Dzingle could be equal to Hoffman in goal scoring and even less of a stretch to say he's equal in terms of being a hockey player.

I think Hoffman will always outscore Dzingle, especially now that he's in Florida, I just don't think its as big of a gap that many people make it out to be.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
They are two completely different players. Hoff is a highly skilled sniper, one of the best in the league. Dzingle is a solid player who can skate fast.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He took a big step last year IMO. I never said he was a prospect, but he is still in his prime, he can still slightly improve year to year.

He outscored Hoffman last year. I know there were outside issues with Hoffman that could of influenced his stats. But I still don't think it's that huge of a leap to say Dzingle could be equal to Hoffman in goal scoring and even less of a stretch to say he's equal in terms of being a hockey player.

I think Hoffman will always outscore Dzingle, especially now that he's in Florida, I just don't think its as big of a gap that many people make it out to be.

Dzingel's shooting percentage last season was like 17%. Hoffman's was something like 8.5%.

League average is like... 9ish%.

It's a statistical abberation that will fix itself very soon. I doubt Dzingel ever scores 23 again for the rest of his career. There's almost no way he can maintain that shooting percentage.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Dzingel's shooting percentage last season was like 17%. Hoffman's was something like 8.5%.

League average is like... 9ish%.

It's a statistical abberation that will fix itself very soon. I doubt Dzingel ever scores 23 again for the rest of his career. There's almost no way he can maintain that shooting percentage.

I agree that's a high shooting percentage and it will come down. His time on ice though should go up this year which may offset that a bit.

All I'm saying is it's not outlandish to say Dzingle could match Hoffman goal scoring outputs from here on out. I predict they end up within 10 goals of each other this year.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
That's a huge gap in today's NHL.

Ok, maybe if I say they will be separated by single digits in goals scored?

Anyway, it's all guesses based purely on gut instinct. I could be completely wrong. My original comment was to basically say in terms of being hockey players, they aren't too far off, except Hoffman has a better shot, which is what Warne was saying, I didn't find all that far-fetched is all.

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Dzingel will always have a high shooting percentage because of all the breakaways imo but 17% is a bit high, I think it'll settle closer to 12-13%.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There might be a visual difference in the shot quality of Dzingel and Hoffman but this idea that Dzingel will never be anywhere close to Hoffman's level? Didn't he outscore him last year despite playing a significantly smaller offensive role than Hoffman on the team?

Hoffman played first unit PP, had more EVTOI and had more SOG than Dzingel has Total Shots Attempted. Yet he had more goals than Hoffman and to be honest consistently looked more dangerous. It's not crazy to say that Dzingel could have had more goals last year but that his finish is still developing.

So, Dzingel's S% comes down but his total shots increases. Even if he regresses to 10%, if he's able to double his shot output while benefitting from some of Hoffman's prime offensive time, is it crazy to say he could score 25+ next year? I don't think it's that outlandish. Certainly not as outlandish as you guys make it sound.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
They are two completely different players. Hoff is a highly skilled sniper, one of the best in the league. Dzingle is a solid player who can skate fast.

Hoffman was 94th in goals in the NHL last season. 43rd the season before. Can we really say he is one of the best in the league? He wasn't even the best on his team either year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hoffman was 94th in goals in the NHL last season. 43rd the season before. Can we really say he is one of the best in the league? He wasn't even the best on his team either year.

There's about 715 regular NHL players in the league.

94th in the league means he's in the 85th percentile (he's in the top 15% of goal scorers).

43rd in the league means he's in the 94th percentile (he's in the top 6% of goal scorers).

Yes. We can say he's one of the best in the league.

Reactions: BigRig4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad