The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Let's give Mendes some credit for starting the news tip that Melnyck might be seeling - that tweet was the 1st evidence that Melnyck had fielded an offer and followed up by the 4th period and Daly's comments.

Sp what's next? Can we get a follow up with Alfie to see what his plans are fro EK when he's named the GM?

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
There's about 715 regular NHL players in the league.

94th in the league means he's in the 85th percentile (he's in the top 15% of goal scorers).

43rd in the league means he's in the 94th percentile (he's in the top 6% of goal scorers).

Yes. We can say he's one of the best in the league.

He had 22 goals last season and 26 the season before. In those seasons, the league leaders had 49 and 44 goals respectively. Those are significant gaps. I would also argue your 715 number is a little misleading. Assume 18 skaters on 31 teams and you get 558.

When I think of best snipers in the league, I think players flirting with the magical 50-goal mark (or at least in the high 30s!)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I listened to McGuire's visits with Montreal radio the other day and I was taken aback by how less personal/fun it was.

It was nice to realize that McGuire actually really enjoys JR and Steve.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I listened to McGuire's visits with Montreal radio the other day and I was taken aback by how less personal/fun it was.

It was nice to realize that McGuire actually really enjoys JR and Steve.
Something that bugs me is that a ferw months ago Pierre offered to spend a morning in-studio with the guys around the draft. They essentially blew him off. Pierre is a genuine dude, offering up his takes ALL MORNING, and the hosts would rather do keep it status-quo and impersonal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Something that bugs me is that a ferw months ago Pierre offered to spend a morning in-studio with the guys around the draft. They essentially blew him off. Pierre is a genuine dude, offering up his takes ALL MORNING, and the hosts would rather do keep it status-quo and impersonal.

Damn!

That is cold.

Do you mean Pierre offered this on MTL or OTT radio? I don't remember this coming up on TSN1200.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Lol @ Steve Llyod and TSN 1200 trying to down play the 4th period report, thus protecting their station president Eugene. Essentially saying there is nothing new there. Yes Steve, we have definitely heard from Bill Daley multiple times before basically confirming there has been offers to the team. Yes nothing new there.

Also the following was never reported before Steve.

- According to the league-source, Melnyk has received one offer for the organization and that “offer had been considered.”

- Cirque du Soleil co-founder Guy Laliberte, who has a net worth of $1.37 billion and has expressed interest in the Senators in the past. It’s also believed Laliberte may have played a role in the Senators securing their latest $135M loan.

- Word around the League is the asking price for the Senators and the Canadian Tire Centre is hovering around $650 million to $700 million; I’m told the initial offer discussed fell well below that range.

- If things in Ottawa remain status quo and Melnyk decides to pull the club from the table, multiple sources have confirmed Karlsson will “definitely” not sign an extension with the Senators.

- Talks to sell the franchise are expected to continue and could push forward into the 2018-19 regular-season.

Yeah Steve, everything here we heard about before.:rolleyes:

Good job covering one of the biggest stories in the city TSN1200, listened to 2 hours of the show and basically it was just downplaying, downplaying, and downplaying.

Hopefully with a new owner, we get a new radio station jesus christ what an embarrassing effort today so far. If this was TSN690, TSN1050. They would be swarming all over this, insiders and journalists from everywhere going on the radio to talk about it, instead we got Steve playing the roll of a that North Korea state media reporter going around saying " there is nothing new here" and reading some crappy texts about a mortgage refinancing.

What a shit show of a program.

Bring it home Ian.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Damn!

That is cold.

Do you mean Pierre offered this on MTL or OTT radio? I don't remember this coming up on TSN1200.
Ottawa radio. I 100% remember it happening. Pierre offered to come to Ottawa for an entire TGOR show, and they said something to the effect of "ya, oh neat, we should work something out" clearly not interested. I think I posted about it the day it happened... I'll check later.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Ottawa radio. I 100% remember it happening. Pierre offered to come to Ottawa for an entire TGOR show, and they said something to the effect of "ya, oh neat, we should work something out" clearly not interested. I think I posted about it the day it happened... I'll check later.
I remember that. I assumed it happened, and I just wasn't listening that morning.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Bruce Garrioche c’mon, you’re the Sarah Huckabee Sanders to Melnyck - the CTC could be on fire and you’d report its an Anselmi hot dog BBQ.

My favourite Garrioch takes are after the disastrous season, just being wonderstruck at everything that happened.
No insight, no hard questions. Just an outlet for the team.
At least Mendes and Simmer ask questions, to the point where Dorion is upset with them at times.

@Joeyjoejoe that's pretty spot on, haha. I guess Lloyd wants to keep things smooth for the next season of hockey. Pity, he could have been the one to go after the owner and come out the winner.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Was this a long time ago?

Also I doubt he would have done it for free ;)

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I seem to remember them almost mocking the idea. I remember thinking how unprofessional it seemed if them.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
maybe they can't afford him.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Another great effort covering the biggest story in the city TGOR. That Pierre McGuire interview was laughable. You set your expectations low with this station and they still somehow fail it.

They spent more time talking about Mike Green than the 4th period story. Basically asked Pierre, do you know anything about this, he said no so they moved on. They didn't ask or discuss any of the other content that was in the article that was speculated, they didn't mention anything about Bill Daley confirming that there has been offers. An easy question to Pierre would have been "Billy Daley refutes that a lot of offers are made to different teams, it doesn't mean that the owner is shopping the team, is that true?". Didn't ask anything about the rumored sale ask for $600M - $700M and if its a reasonable ask for the franchise. Didn't ask anything along the lines of "Do you think Karlsson is holding out to sign a contract as he sees how the ownership situation is going to unfold?".

TSN1200 strategy with this article falls in line with everything else that relates to the owner, downplay downplay downplay, ignore ignore ignore, refer to the office responses from NHL and owner as the gospel, and barely have a thoughtful, insightful discussion on it and hope the next story comes in quickly so you can move on it from. All these journalist grads and none of them can bring anything new to the table other official responses.

What a disgraceful trash station, jesus christ.

Oh and to top it off, Steve Warne's stupidity on full display again, asking Pierre if he will have trouble signing Karlsson because of his injuries, his bad defense etc. Then Pierre just simply saying No, because he's world class talent. Steve still on that crusade [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Another great effort covering the biggest story in the city TGOR. That Pierre McGuire interview was laughable. You set your expectations low with this station and they still somehow fail it.

They spent more time talking about Mike Green than the 4th period story. Basically asked Pierre, do you know anything about this, he said no so they moved on. They didn't ask or discuss any of the other content that was in the article that was speculated, they didn't mention anything about Bill Daley confirming that there has been offers. An easy question to Pierre would have been "Billy Daley refutes that a lot of offers are made to different teams, it doesn't mean that the owner is shopping the team, is that true?". Didn't ask anything about the rumored sale ask for $600M - $700M and if its a reasonable ask for the franchise. Didn't ask anything along the lines of "Do you think Karlsson is holding out to sign a contract as he sees how the ownership situation is going to unfold?".

TSN1200 strategy with this article falls in line with everything else that relates to the owner, downplay downplay downplay, ignore ignore ignore, refer to the office responses from NHL and owner as the gospel, and barely have a thoughtful, insightful discussion on it and hope the next story comes in quickly so you can move on it from. All these journalist grads and none of them can bring anything new to the table other official responses.

What a disgraceful trash station, jesus christ.

Oh and to top it off, Steve Warne's stupidity on full display again, asking Pierre if he will have trouble signing Karlsson because of his injuries, his bad defense etc. Then Pierre just simply saying No, because he's world class talent. Steve still on that crusade [mod]
While I generally agree with your sentiment, no way Pierre makes comments regarding ownership rumours. He has never been an analyst to comment on that sort of thing. There's no point even asking him.

However. There is no excuse for TGOR not to discuss the very obvious notion that EK won't re-sign with current ownership. Their analysis of the situation is so damn shallow.

edit: I wonder how TSN Weekend will handle it. Will be looking forward to that show.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
While I generally agree with your sentiment, no way Pierre makes comments regarding ownership rumours. He has never been an analyst to comment on that sort of thing. There's no point even asking him.

However. There is no excuse for TGOR not to discuss the very obvious notion that EK won't re-sign with current ownership. Their analysis of the situation is so damn shallow.

edit: I wonder how TSN Weekend will handle it. Will be looking forward to that show.

Really? I have heard him talk about Tampa's ownership, Carolina's ownership, Pittsburgh ownership, Isles ownership. He seems to be pretty plugged in just in terms of the ownership and management side of the league, and not just hockey related. Just the other day, he was discussing some of the owners that went to jail when Bettman came in. I understand he can't really comment on rumors or hasn't heard anything yet, but there is so much more in that article that could have been discussed.

Remains my favorite sens twitter account, after maybe SensProspects.

BE BETTER!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Sorry, NO TSN WEEKEND FOR YOU!
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/schedule

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
IgnorantDeadlyCockatoo-size_restricted.gif

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Soccer is by far the worst sport for play-by-play on the radio. It's bad enough that not much is happening, but add in the thick accent and it is absolute gibberish.
As a joke, I let it play for a few minutes while driving and asked my teenage kids to explain to me what they heard.

Uh, someone was menacing. Someone was prowling. (those were the words used, I heard it too)
Someone was greatly something or other, couldn't make it out.
Something happened near the side but I don't know what.

Yeah, fantastic radio. Such a horrible idea. It is solidly reinforcing my habit of just listening to Apple Music while I drive. I even started listening to IHEARTRADIO to find OTHER stations that were actually willing to talk about hockey. Radio listening is a habit. Once you get used to a station, you typically stick with it. Sort of like grocery stores. This soccer nonsense has forced me to find another station.

It’s all relative on what people enjoy really. I like soccer and pretty much get everything from the play by play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad