The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This Hoffman rumour could of easily been a sports reporter find, let’s go.
Yes, but that's just it – it's a rumour if a sports guy publishes it. News media doesn't exist to publish rumours. It exists to dig into the rumours, find the kernel of fact in them, and report on that. It so happens that in the Monika/Melinda case, that kernel was buried in the legal system. Who better to get it than the crime reporter?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yes, but that's just it – it's a rumour if a sports guy publishes it. News media doesn't exist to publish rumours. It exists to dig into the rumours, find the kernel of fact in them, and report on that. It so happens that in the Monika/Melinda case, that kernel was buried in the legal system. Who better to get it than the crime reporter?

So are they admitting they aren’t journalist and don’t have journalistic skills and we should just expect them to read the headlines and have two guys sit their taking for 2 hours with a pro or con opinion of the Burrows trade?

These guys report on rumours all day everyday, that shouldn’t scare them. If rumours are okay for Duthie, why not TSN1200.

You can’t sit their and say we don’t have the skills to find out about The Peace Bond, and then fill that time you should be doing journalistic work on this wide open rumour by filling the time speaking about Tavares rumours for 5 days, and then say you don’t report on rumours. That sounds like a crazy person right?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
So are they admitting they aren’t journalist and don’t have journalistic skills and we should just expect them to read the headlines and have two guys sit their taking for 2 hours with a pro or con opinion of the Burrows trade?
Nope. Different journalists have different talents. It's why there's a crime beat, and a sports beat, and a city beat, and a business beat... just because a story has its foot in one world doesn't mean it's not predominantly in another.

These guys report on rumours all day everyday, that shouldn’t scare them. If rumours are okay for Duthie, why not TSN1200.
Because we're dealing with actual people here. Rumours are fine when they're within the context of the league and the business. But when you're talking about a person's life, something that affects them outside of the business, it's irresponsible to report on it without solid, credible evidence. Imagine if people in media had been openly speculating about the Karlsson's miscarriage prior to it being confirmed to be true? That kind of thing is so beyond any kind of reasonable ethical code and certainly well beyond the role of a reporter.

You can’t sit their and say we don’t have the skills to find out about The Peace Bond, and then fill that time you should be doing journalistic work on this wide open rumour by filling the time speaking about Tavares rumours for 5 days, and then say you don’t report on rumours. That sounds like a crazy person right?
This chunk of your post makes me believe that you think these guys are in the business of investigative journalism, which is just not the case. They're radio personalities. They're entertainers above all else. Guys like Mendes really raise the bar because they also do a lot of digging to ensure their discussions are robust. But you'll notice any time a news story is "broken" on TSN1200, it's typically as a result of Twitter. Besides, doing "journalistic work," as you call it, on-air would be so dull and would cause listeners to change channels. If they're not getting listeners, then they're not holding jobs.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nope. Different journalists have different talents. It's why there's a crime beat, and a sports beat, and a city beat, and a business beat... just because a story has its foot in one world doesn't mean it's not predominantly in another.

Because we're dealing with actual people here. Rumours are fine when they're within the context of the league and the business. But when you're talking about a person's life, something that affects them outside of the business, it's irresponsible to report on it without solid, credible evidence. Imagine if people in media had been openly speculating about the Karlsson's miscarriage prior to it being confirmed to be true? That kind of thing is so beyond any kind of reasonable ethical code and certainly well beyond the role of a reporter.

This chunk of your post makes me believe that you think these guys are in the business of investigative journalism, which is just not the case. They're radio personalities. They're entertainers above all else. Guys like Mendes really raise the bar because they also do a lot of digging to ensure their discussions are robust. But you'll notice any time a news story is "broken" on TSN1200, it's typically as a result of Twitter. Besides, doing "journalistic work," as you call it, on-air would be so dull and would cause listeners to change channels. If they're not getting listeners, then they're not holding jobs.

How about just speaking to this:

What have you heard about the Sens missing payroll and the NHL stepping in? True, not true, sounds to be true but can’t confirm because you aren’t on the payroll.

What about rumours of an ownership change?

What about rumours of Alfie coming back and Alfies comments in this? What’s the rumour here?

Speculate on what Duthie is talking about? There’s another shoe waiting to drop, speculate on the shoe

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

What have you heard about the Sens missing payroll and the NHL stepping in? True, not true, sounds to be true but can’t confirm because you aren’t on the payroll.
Probably the most realistic to address, but it certainly couldn't be that head-on. It's the kind of thing you'd probably have to couch, along the lines of "What's the financial situation surrounding the Sens as you understand it?" asked to the right person. In their role as opinion shapers, they need to be careful. It's the classic loaded question that journalists are taught to avoid.

This has been discussed.

What about rumours of Alfie coming back and Alfies comments in this? What’s the rumour here?
Both discussed, the former in context of the rumblings of a sale, the latter at the time of his comments. No rumour in the latter, though, as the comments were made. That's fact.

Speculate on what Duthie is talking about? There’s another shoe waiting to drop, speculate on the shoe
Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about with a person's off-ice life. You can't speculate on that. Not in good faith. Not without risking opening yourself up to a defamation lawsuit. And especially not if it's as bad as Duthie seemed to think it was.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer

So the way I’m reading this - and please tell me if I’m wrong - is that you want TSN1200 to be a real-time audio only version of this board. Not me. I dont need to listen to supposed professionals speculating like us scrubs. That way lays madness.

And I can’t imagine that if these guys have anything like connections, they didn’t reach out to ask ‘Any idea what Duthie’s talking about?’ Maybe insider Marcotte has the scoop.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If they're not getting listeners, then they're not holding jobs.

Only a matter of time. Station only has good ratings when the team is doing well, doesn't look like the team will be doing well anytime soon and the current format/content, aside from the Drive, is definitely not good. The rarely bring on any informed guests anymore and the conversation is mostly very very dull.

Who knows though, people enjoy watching train wrecks, so with the Ottawa Senators in the state they are in, maybe more people will tune in. The station does have to do their part though and while I do disagree with most of what Tuna said, the station has an obligation to the fanbase and to their listeners and they are not delivering.

Why does Duthie and Bobby Mac frequently appear on every other TSN radio station and aside from pregame shows, never in Ottawa? Dreger says nothing, he usually is just there to promote Insider Trading, while Lebrun teases his Athletic articles and doesn't give really any substance to anything either. One thing every station needs though is more Ray Ferraro!

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

Don Brennan was interviewed on TSN690 earlier this week and was asked about this. For what it's worth, he said that the sports people knew about the rumours for a while but didn't have enough to actually publish anything. It took the crime/legal people at the newspaper getting involved to gather the information needed to publish anything.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Don Brennan was interviewed on TSN690 earlier this week and was asked about this. For what it's worth, he said that the sports people knew about the rumours for a while but didn't have enough to actually publish anything. It took the crime/legal people at the newspaper getting involved to gather the information needed to publish anything.

Ken Warren wrote a fantastic article on the demise of the Sens, has TSN1200 had him on as a guest since? Has Brennan been on to discuss anything he has been writing? Anyone try to get Ferraro on since he called them the most dysfunctional organization in the league on Vancouver radio? Any other sports writers that have spoken against the Sens missing from this list?? Obviously I don't expect the station to due any investigative journalism, these guys have trouble doing prep work for their own shows, but I do expect them to bring on informed guests, but not doing that, we just get each host's recycled opinions over and over.

**If these guys have been on and I missed it, my post is wrong and I apologize**

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mendes with some righteous inside info from Melnyck - he doesn’t have The right price to sell.

Okay Sens Fans, keep the building empty so he’s forced to sell it. We control this franchise not Melnyck from Toronto. He thinks he owns it, we are showing him who the real stake holders are. He’s entitled to the profits, we are the team, it was awarded to Ottawa, not to a single man - let’s show fans around the world the power we have.

This also plays really nicely into he undercurrent of the world right now which is essentially the rich trying to undermine our democratic ideals (protest, free speech, free conscious) to preserve their way of life (their obscene profit) with dictorial action (Donald Trump is their spokesman) - this is the pending conflict that will be writing history for the 25 years and it’s all wrapped up in a little nutshell here in Ottawa in the form of the mass (fans wanting to preserve an institution they believe in) versus and owner who thinks his grubby ways is the only way - but don’t get to caught up in this, just keep the pressure on melyck so we get new ownership, but feel the revolutionary power as we force this owner out.

Let’s win. With all this losing and craziness We will have the most important vicotry of this franchises young lige and it’ll be won by the fans. Everyone else is just a spectator in this, this is Us the fans versus Melnyck, and we will win

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

lol who are you even talking about here? I'm pretty sure Ian Mendes is the only formally trained journalist at the station, but his main gig is more "radio show host" than Sens beat reporter right now. None of the other guys are journos nor do they claim to be. They're broadcasters/entertainers and although they're part of the media, I don't know why you'd expect them to be doing investigative work or whatever. That's not their domain.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It's kinda nice to be able to listen to sports on sports radio, but I guess I'm in the minority of enjoying sports over hot takes and the same 3 topics day after day after day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad