The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Is Dean Brown always on the pregame show?

I swear nobody enjoys the sound of his own voice more then that guy . . . making simple points as convoluted as possible and repeating things in different ways.

It was worse when Dean and Gord did the entire post-game show by themselves way back when.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Okay, that's three straight games where an Ottawa Senator player gets cheapshotted while the opposing player doesn't even get a penalty.

Lets see if the local media guys will do anything to defend our guys on air. You know if this was Montreal or Toronto, they wouldn't stop talking about it until the league was forced to make at least a token effort at supplemental discipline.

I bet our local guys will do their best to be "impartial" by not even bringing it up though.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Okay, that's three straight games where an Ottawa Senator player gets cheapshotted while the opposing player doesn't even get a penalty.

Lets see if the local media guys will do anything to defend our guys on air. You know if this was Montreal or Toronto, they wouldn't stop talking about it until the league was forced to make at least a token effort at supplemental discipline.

I bet our local guys will do their best to be "impartial" by not even bringing it up though.
The league doesn't take Ottawa media seriously because they can't understand anything over Simmer's laughing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Please lets be rid of these ridiculous time wasting contests that TGOR has been running for years! Secret Sen is a joke and so is the 61 second shootout. Seems like these morning guys are just trying to kill as much time as possible.

AND, why are Dean Roberts' sports updates longer than the majority of the segments on the morning show??

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Please lets be rid of these ridiculous time wasting contests that TGOR has been running for years! Secret Sen is a joke and so is the 61 second shootout. Seems like these morning guys are just trying to kill as much time as possible.

AND, why are Dean Roberts' sports updates longer than the majority of the segments on the morning show??

You never touch the Shootout. Never. It's the best segment next to Pierre McGuire.

I take it you don't like playing along to the trivia stuff at home. Secret Sen isn't great, but I don't mind it. Better than the call in to win NFL party thing. Those are just boring for everyone.

otown

Sep 4, 2009

I can't listen to TGOR other than the Pierre segment at 8:10 and then I switch to 690 Montreal for a very informative Bob McKenzie segment at 8:30ish on Monday , Wed, Fridays and Dreger on Tuesday and Thursday. Informative sports radio without the filler.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014

The whole morning segment is a joke. If you take into account all of the commercials, updates, contests and irrelevant self-indulgent commentary about the painfully ordinary lives of the hosts then you're left with about 5 minutes of actual sports talk.
I'm at work by the time McGuire comes on but find his segment wildly overrated anyway.
Come to realize nothing will really change as the city is exceptional at tolerating mediocrity.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Even McGuire is slipping. Ever since he put his name in for the last (1-2?) GM openings (or was it a coach position then a GM opening?), he's been way too neutral and "hockeytalk" politically correct. He won't really point a finger at anyone doing wrong, and will fluff off everything and sweet-talk the higher ups. He's just staying in the public eye at this point to stay on radar and quietly push for the next GM job availability, nothing more.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Even McGuire is slipping. Ever since he put his name in for the last (1-2?) GM openings (or was it a coach position then a GM opening?), he's been way too neutral and "hockeytalk" politically correct. He won't really point a finger at anyone doing wrong, and will fluff off everything and sweet-talk the higher ups. He's just staying in the public eye at this point to stay on radar and quietly push for the next GM job availability, nothing more.

He's been "neutral" and "hockeytalk politically correct" for longer than that. I think it goes back to the year the Oilers were in the SC finals, and the TSN panel gave their predictions on the outcome of the series and Pierre picked Carolina. He got a TON of abuse from people in and around Edmonton ... which caused him to start his "no predictions" policy.

That's one turning point I can think of, but I would guess that there have been other smaller instances (eg, probably any time he's said anything minutely critical about a Montreal player, it has resulted in backlash to him from the Montreal market).

I personally find McGuire's segment now just a bunch of wishy-washy fluff, dressed up with pseudo-intellectual language. I only catch it occasionally now, while years ago it was a must-listen.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

While I do agree with you, he did call out the NHL this morning for their ruling on Gudas but nothing on Rinaldo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

For what it's worth, they had Button on as the TSN insider yesterday and asked about the Gudas hit. He also went on a rant about how poor the officiated was in general that game, bringing up the Ghost goal with too many men, and no call against Gudas on the Z hit.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013

No kidding. It's incredibly boring. They need to bring back the Dirty Dozen where they can have a larger variety of questions besides the stupid sports stuff all the time.

I want to get a look at those Double Ds again.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
No kidding. It's incredibly boring. They need to bring back the Dirty Dozen where they can have a larger variety of questions besides the stupid sports stuff all the time.

I want to get a look at those Double Ds again.

Ya, who wants to hear sports trivia on a sports radio station anyway. That's preposterous.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ya, who wants to hear sports trivia on a sports radio station anyway. That's preposterous.

If there's one thing a sports radio station needs more of, it's sound effects from the 80's, and wacky DJ's who only took the job because they accidentally stumbled out of Margaritaville and haven't yet re-acquired the dexterity and clarity of thought needed to get back.

Two. Two things a sports radio station needs. The 80's sound board, the unbuttoned Hawaiian t-shirt manatee DJ's, and a penchant to give everyone unflattering nicknames that the DJ's ironically haven't figured out are also slang terms for uncomfortably unique sex acts.

Three, three things a sports radio station needs...

Last edited:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, the morning show has gotten extremely tired, that formula is stale. I still like Pierre, he really does have insight, but he must be asked the proper questions as in other cities.

A big reason I like Pierre is because JR and Steve will go on about some silly point about the Sens for 2 hours and then ask Pierre his opinion. 99% of the time Pierre will say "No, I don't agree with that at all, that's not what they should do". Hilarious.

Warne's opinions these days seem to come from Twitter, blogs and message boards, which are all notorious for being out there. Not just Pierre, other hockey folks usually disagree too.

I must say though, I'm really liking White and Lloyd. Whitey has hit his stride, good segment.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yeah, the morning show has gotten extremely tired, that formula is stale. I still like Pierre, he really does have insight, but he must be asked the proper questions as in other cities.

A big reason I like Pierre is because JR and Steve will go on about some silly point about the Sens for 2 hours and then ask Pierre his opinion. 99% of the time Pierre will say "No, I don't agree with that at all, that's not what they should do". Hilarious.

Warne's opinions these days seem to come from Twitter, blogs and message boards, which are all notorious for being out there. Not just Pierre, other hockey folks usually disagree too.

I must say though, I'm really liking White and Lloyd. Whitey has hit his stride, good segment.
They must have a book of questions that they use for all of their guests. Anything other than hockey and it's amateur hour.

ollie

Dec 18, 2007

Totally agree. I haven't listened to TGOR for months after being a loyal listener for maybe 10 years. Heard that Ian and Simmer were going to be on this morning and it's a breath of fresh air. Even Hamer seems legit happy to be "on vacation".

Shake up TGOR!

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013

There is enough sports talk on the show as it is, especially compared to years past. They can take a small break to present something that could actually be entertaining. Anything from the This Day in History category is more interesting than any sports trivia question.

Yes, it is a sports show, but it's also a morning show. And morning shows are supposed to be entertaining and fun. The exception to that is CFRA because they are all about news. But sports? You're talking about grown men playing silly games. Surely you can break away from that for 5 minutes to have a contest that can be amusing and entertaining rather than the stupid 61-second Shootout which is neither of those.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There is enough sports talk on the show as it is, especially compared to years past. They can take a small break to present something that could actually be entertaining. Anything from the This Day in History category is more interesting than any sports trivia question.

Yes, it is a sports show, but it's also a morning show. And morning shows are supposed to be entertaining and fun. The exception to that is CFRA because they are all about news. But sports? You're talking about grown men playing silly games. Surely you can break away from that for 5 minutes to have a contest that can be amusing and entertaining rather than the stupid 61-second Shootout which is neither of those.

Why not just tune into a station that is like that?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

All contests should be about sports. That is the whole point, the premise, the concept of the station. It is for people who want to listen to people discussing sports, and voice their opinion by phone, text, email, whatever. I understand that sometimes they go off track and talk about life events, as they should since like you say it is a morning show, but the station is unique in the Ottawa region because its trivia does not ask "what were the top 5 songs we played at 5pm", it tests sports junkies' knowledge.

If you want more pop culture stuff, you should listen to 89.9 in the morning. And I don't say that facetiously. I don't care for the music but they have a fantastic morning show, and are one of the stations in this city that hasn't messed with a winning formula (cough 106.9). Mauler, Rush, Jenny and Josie are awesome. 88.5 is good too, but not as good as 89.9.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Agreed. Simmer isn't as bad with Warne, but I still prefer J.R. + Warne, Carleton Terrier (forget his name) + White, Mendes + Versage, eliminate Simmer.
:sarcasm::naughty:
He's actually more serious with Warne. Doesn't laugh all the time and isn't constantly trying to sound funny.

J.R. must be the problem. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille