The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
He's actually more serious with Warne. Doesn't laugh all the time and isn't constantly trying to sound funny.

J.R. must be the problem. :laugh:

JR, Steve and Simmer on the reg would be an awesome TGOR.

But given the recent cuts to Bell, I doubt we ever see 3 on-air guys full time on TGOR again.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I have given Simmer a ton of (sometimes unjustified) crap but tonight on the post-game? He's BANG ON.

Bang on about too many slow guys.
Bang on about guys like Boro, Gryba and the like being useless.
Bang on about the team needing more speed.
He's doing a good job and is actually super enjoyable to listen to!

Good job Shawn, hope to hear you and Lee on MORE post-game shows!

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
I have given Simmer a ton of (sometimes unjustified) crap but tonight on the post-game? He's BANG ON.

Agree 100% with this.

He said everything the rest of the media are too stupid or scared to say: questionable personnel (several players just can't play, lack speed/skill to compete in current puck possession NHL) and questionable lineups (boro at forward, smith on 2nd line/PP, lazar not in ahl, prince benched).

Most of the other on-air talent treat these comments like bad farts that hang in the air, hoping nobody notices.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it was hard to disagree with what Simmer said. Usually Lee is pretty good at justifying moves, but it sounded like he couldn't help but agree.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I can't bring myself to ever agree with Simmer......but I can't disagree with those points.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Agree 100% with this.

He said everything the rest of the media are too stupid or scared to say: questionable personnel (several players just can't play, lack speed/skill to compete in current puck possession NHL) and questionable lineups (boro at forward, smith on 2nd line/PP, lazar not in ahl, prince benched).

Most of the other on-air talent treat these comments like bad farts that hang in the air, hoping nobody notices.

it was hard to disagree with what Simmer said. Usually Lee is pretty good at justifying moves, but it sounded like he couldn't help but agree.

I can't bring myself to ever agree with Simmer......but I can't disagree with those points.

I really found this sentence both 100% accurate and hilarious.

I agree with what Simmer said but it was pretty obvious because of how we lost. If we would of won i doubt the tune would sound the same.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Simmer was bang on in the post game show last night.

Was nice not having Mendes there doing his devils advocate, towing the party line schtick.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Simmer was bang on in the post game show last night.

Was nice not having Mendes there doing his devils advocate, towing the party line schtick.

You have to remember Mendes also collects a pay cheque from the Sens so he has to be a careful with what he says, as just like Dean Brown and Gord Wilson.

Simmer has been always been good when he sticks to hockey.
I noticed he seems to be involved with the CTV people more lately, wonder if his next move won't be to TGOR but to CTV. Maybe taking over for the loss of Waldo?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You have to remember Mendes also collects a pay cheque from the Sens so he has to be a careful with what he says, as just like Dean Brown and Gord Wilson.

I noticed he seems to be involved with the CTV people more lately, wonder if his next move won't be to TGOR but to CTV. Maybe taking over for the loss of Waldo?

Just curious, how does Ian get paid by the Sens too? I know Dean and Gord do but I assumed Ian was getting paid through Bell exclusively.

Re: Simmer in for Waldo, I don't think he would ever be able to just stick to the "reporting" part of things without adding in his own take. Would be some good TV though.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Just curious, how does Ian get paid by the Sens too? I know Dean and Gord do but I assumed Ian was getting paid through Bell exclusively.

Re: Simmer in for Waldo, I don't think he would ever be able to just stick to the "reporting" part of things without adding in his own take. Would be some good TV though.

Mendes does the post game show for SensTV for all home games.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

He wouldn't be allowed to wear his hat and tell random History channel facts so he probably declines. :sarcasm:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The problem with these takes from Simmer is that a month ago he LOVED Boro and what Boro brings to the table. Something about he plays "Hard Hockey", "glue guy", etc.

Yes, it is possible to change your train of thought, but Simmer is known to change his train of thought 3 or 4 times during one afternoon show.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014

I guess that's what I meant when I mentioned the "party line".

What a sad state the station is in when you have a conflict of interest because you're paid by the team you're supposed to provide a critique of on a sports opinion show. This is so Ottawa.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

All media personalities have to be careful what they say. If they piss off the organization or key individuals they'll never get interviews and all sorts of other key stuff.

Its career suicide to get overly critical of the only real game in town for sports media. Welcome to the world we live in.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The problem with these takes from Simmer is that a month ago he LOVED Boro and what Boro brings to the table. Something about he plays "Hard Hockey", "glue guy", etc.

Yes, it is possible to change your train of thought, but Simmer is known to change his train of thought 3 or 4 times during one afternoon show.

Simmer was quite clear on that Saturday night post game show that he thought Boro was a good 3rd pairing d-man and that he'd "have him on my team" in that role, but that he was a bad forward.

There is no change to his position, it's Boro's role that changed.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Epic festivus airing of grievances by AJ just now vs. the conservative party, worth the listen once they put it up if you missed it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Can always count on TSN 690 to maintain a holiday line up for it's fan base.

Seems like every chance they get TSN 1200 looks to dump the local content for cheap simulcasts of American Sports talk radio shows or live broadcasting random sporting events.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Seems like every chance they get TSN 1200 looks to dump the local content for cheap simulcasts of American Sports talk radio shows or live broadcasting random sporting events.

Almost 4 million people, many of whom speak a different language vs 1.3 million people who mostly speak english.

Massive difference in audience, and a massive difference in advertising revenue.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Almost 4 million people, many of whom speak a different language vs 1.3 million people who mostly speak english.

Massive difference in audience, and a massive difference in advertising revenue.
Skewing numbers to make a point doesn't work. 690 caters to the english market in Montreal. I would say the english demographics in both cities are comparable.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Skewing numbers to make a point doesn't work. 690 caters to the english market in Montreal. I would say the english demographics in both cities are comparable.

Point is they make more money on the station in Montreal, thus they can afford to spend more money on local content.

You keep comparing Ottawa radio to that in much more massive cities. It's just not going to compete. Thems the breaks! Welcome to small town Ottawa.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Point is they make more money on the station in Montreal, thus they can afford to spend more money on local content.

You keep comparing Ottawa radio to that in much more massive cities. It's just not going to compete. Thems the breaks! Welcome to small town Ottawa.
And yet Winnipeg, WINNIPEG, can manage to still have 8 hours of local programming ?

Your argument makes sense on the surface but doesn't make sense in actual facts.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

meh. everyone, myself included was griping when TSN 1200 dropped Jim Rome. They have really made an effort to have more local content.

Although, I have basically stopped listening to them so I don't really think it's fair for me to comment much on it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->