The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
meh. everyone, myself included was griping when TSN 1200 dropped Jim Rome. They have really made an effort to have more local content.

Although, I have basically stopped listening to them so I don't really think it's fair for me to comment much on it anymore.
Dropping Rome is not the issue. More local content is what we should have. It just seems they are quick to pull the station vacation card.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
They still play Rome at night.

Seems like most of the staff at 1200 get the holidays off. What's funny is that 1200 plugs in to shows like DP and Rome to fill the slots before/after a WJC broadcast, but Dan and Jim are also on holiday, so we get to listen to random fill-ins for hours on end.

I like the DP and Rome shows, just not when they are replaced by try-hards.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
They still play Rome at night.

Seems like most of the staff at 1200 get the holidays off. What's funny is that 1200 plugs in to shows like DP and Rome to fill the slots before/after a WJC broadcast, but Dan and Jim are also on holiday, so we get to listen to random fill-ins for hours on end.

I like the DP and Rome shows, just not when they are replaced by try-hards.

I agree I don't like this week's schedule. Why not just let TGOR go to 10 am. Then to kill a couple hours before the WJC run some of the new blogger shows since people probably miss it on early Sunday mornings or something like that.

If this was a Sports Talk Station in the States it would never fly.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
And yet Winnipeg, WINNIPEG, can manage to still have 8 hours of local programming ?

Your argument makes sense on the surface but doesn't make sense in actual facts.

That I can't explain. Maybe they have higher ratings. Beats me!

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
That I can't explain. Maybe they have higher ratings. Beats me!

Maybe it has to do with all the budget cuts, the guys are getting days off that could possible be unpaid or they just don't have the staff budget to bring in people to replace them so they use other feeds.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Maybe it has to do with all the budget cuts, the guys are getting days off that could possible be unpaid or they just don't have the staff budget to bring in people to replace them so they use other feeds.
That sounds legit but you would think it would be like that across the board. I would rather them simulcast an actual Canadian broadcast like from Montreal or Vancouver. At least we could hear different points of view on mainly hockey. I tune into 1310am on Saturday afternoon because they have a great sports show from the fan 590. Toronto centric, yes, but does cover Canadian NHL teams very well along with the raptors and Canadian topics in general. How can playing Rome or Dan Patrick be cheaper than playing content you actually own?

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If its not Ottawa content I just don't listen to it. American, or Toronto based. Whatever.

I dunno, doesn't bother me much. I just go do or listen to something else.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Local panicmonger Lowell Green has been saying on CFRA the past few days that "big changes" are coming to local radio sometime next week or around there, his show format might change or whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised if TSN1200 had some changes too, to be honest I barely listen in anymore, Simmer has killed my interest and both stations could dearly use some new blood, TSN1200 with an analytics focus (or at least league-wide focus) and CFRA is basically pretty good for the news and weather updates but otherwise it's Old People Radio, they could use some youth and socially modern viewpoints as well.

Oh Ian, since i know you read this, how about bringing in bloggers from other teams? Just do it over the phone or Skype or whatever, the Sens Blogger show is a fantastic idea but I think they've already recycled a blogger (Michaela?) so having a broader reach would be good maybe? Just spitballing.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Local panicmonger Lowell Green has been saying on CFRA the past few days that "big changes" are coming to local radio sometime next week or around there, his show format might change or whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised if TSN1200 had some changes too, to be honest I barely listen in anymore, Simmer has killed my interest and both stations could dearly use some new blood, TSN1200 with an analytics focus (or at least league-wide focus) and CFRA is basically pretty good for the news and weather updates but otherwise it's Old People Radio, they could use some youth and socially modern viewpoints as well.

Oh Ian, since i know you read this, how about bringing in bloggers from other teams? Just do it over the phone or Skype or whatever, the Sens Blogger show is a fantastic idea but I think they've already recycled a blogger (Michaela?) so having a broader reach would be good maybe? Just spitballing.
Noticed that too on Green's show. I used to love the Chat Room with Mark Sutcliffe but once to axed Steve Madley's show and mark took over they changed the format and no longer take callers which is what made the show interesting because he is so unbiased as opposed to the stations heavy conservative shtick.

Lowell Green is just too old to understand how the average person feels.

Lee and Ian have great chemistry together and grew up in the same era. Their references never fall on deaf ears.

TGOR needs only two hosts. Who they are is up for debate but I think Simmer should be one of them along with the producer.

Kind of surprised that the Bell cuts didn't hit TSN 1200 harder. CFRA has hosts doing a lot more and TV anchors reading the news now.

The quality of the TSN website has gone down hill since they changed the layout. Seems like they almost employ no one. Every story is just a 1 minute video clip.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Lee and Ian have great chemistry together and grew up in the same era. Their references never fall on deaf ears.

TGOR needs only two hosts. Who they are is up for debate but I think Simmer should be one of them along with the producer.

Kind of surprised that the Bell cuts didn't hit TSN 1200 harder. CFRA has hosts doing a lot more and TV anchors reading the news now.

The quality of the TSN website has gone down hill since they changed the layout. Seems like they almost employ no one. Every story is just a 1 minute video clip.

I agree I like Lee and Ian together you can tell they can relate to each others interests.

Don't think Simmer would be a full time morning guy, besides they use him too often of the post game shows, I can't see giving his lifestyle he'd want to be a full time morning guy. Those hours aren't easy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I agree I like Lee and Ian together you can tell they can relate to each others interests.

Don't think Simmer would be a full time morning guy, besides they use him too often of the post game shows, I can't see giving his lifestyle he'd want to be a full time morning guy. Those hours aren't easy.
Simmer, White, Stevenson, and Murray all do one thing on the radio which is talk. The other guys Host, do play by play, are hosts of their own shows etc. In this day of age in Ottawa media you've got to wear more than 1 hat if not many. Simmer fits best for his style to be part of the morning show. He actually brings something they are sorely missing. It would likely mean someone gets pushed out though. I think Simmer is more serious on TGOR especially when paired with JR.

I don't think Simmer is good on the pre and post games. He is distracting to the listener. Too much joking around.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
:nod:
That's a good thing no?
You would hate to see anyone lose their job but given the current climate in radio/tv, and print media, any staff could be here today and gone tomorrow. 1200 isn't immune from this.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
:nod:
You would hate to see anyone lose their job but given the current climate in radio/tv, and print media, any staff could be here today and gone tomorrow. 1200 isn't immune from this.
Not sure they could cut any more on air jobs. Each show has 2 hosts, With AJ and Lee being fill ins and doing play by play and their own shows. Pretty much leaves Shribert, Steveson, Murray, and the occasional pre and post game special guest.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
TGOR is already down to two hosts and there is a rotating door on In the Box.. I don't see how more cuts could be made either. I have my preferences and whatnot (I don't particularly like CJ and his golf talk, and when paired with Lee the two are dreadful) but it is what it is. Conversely, Lee is great with Llyod (Whitey and Lloyd should be together full time though), Mendes and Simmer.

Brennan on the pre-game is just a farce now, he is making arguments just to stir the pot.

Don: "Now I know there are different types of breaks, but Ryan can play with a broken finger, why can't Mickalek?"

Lee: "Well Don, you just answered your own question."

Such a hack.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
TGOR is already down to two hosts and there is a rotating door on In the Box.. I don't see how more cuts could be made either. I have my preferences and whatnot (I don't particularly like CJ and his golf talk, and when paired with Lee the two are dreadful) but it is what it is. Conversely, Lee is great with Llyod (Whitey and Lloyd should be together full time though), Mendes and Simmer.

Brennan on the pre-game is just a farce now, he is making arguments just to stir the pot.

Don: "Now I know there are different types of breaks, but Ryan can play with a broken finger, why can't Mickalek?"

Lee: "Well Don, you just answered your own question."

Such a hack.

Who got dropped?
#1down2togo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->