The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
How strange that you'd listen to a sports radio station.

I can't stand country music, so I don't listen to a country music station. Maybe I'm going about this wrong!

I started listening years ago because I happened to catch Jimbotron and thought it was great. Then I kept listening because of the off-the-rails talk and the banter between the three hosts. I liked the hosts and the banter enough to put up with their sports talk. Then when Jungle came back, I listened religiously just to see what he would say and how he would be mocked by everyone. Now I barely listen anymore because it's not entertaining enough. Sometimes it gives me a chuckle, like when they will make a callback to an old bit, like JR mentioning Don and Dawn, Steve's old same-sex couple neighbours. And this morning it was the return of the "Shameless Sponsor Mention" sound clip.

that is the reason I listen to sports radio. CFRA isn't fun to listen to, nor is music, even in the morning. Too much music and not enough banter.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
55308103.jpg

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I started listening years ago because I happened to catch Jimbotron and thought it was great. Then I kept listening because of the off-the-rails talk and the banter between the three hosts. I liked the hosts and the banter enough to put up with their sports talk. Then when Jungle came back, I listened religiously just to see what he would say and how he would be mocked by everyone. Now I barely listen anymore because it's not entertaining enough. Sometimes it gives me a chuckle, like when they will make a callback to an old bit, like JR mentioning Don and Dawn, Steve's old same-sex couple neighbours. And this morning it was the return of the "Shameless Sponsor Mention" sound clip.

that is the reason I listen to sports radio. CFRA isn't fun to listen to, nor is music, even in the morning. Too much music and not enough banter.

Makes sense i guess.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

Ha, almost like one of those guys that really loves the articles in Playboy but is annoyed with all the naked photos of women. :laugh:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Ha, almost like one of those guys that really loves the articles in Playboy but is annoyed with all the naked photos of women. :laugh:

... I don't know if you've heard about Playboy, but they will stop publishing naked photos.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Did everyone decide the the station is perfect now that there's plenty of hockey, baseball, and football talk or just get tired of complaining?

Basically just not complaining anymore. It appears Simmer isn't going anywhere so I tune in for the pre-game with MacKenzie and their roundtables there, the postgames and skip the rest of the time outside for an hour or two around the noon hour. It's made life a lot more enjoyable now that I've realized they're basically a college level station with Ian Mendes as its only saving grace. And Steve Lloyd, can't forget him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Basically just not complaining anymore. It appears Simmer isn't going anywhere so I tune in for the pre-game with MacKenzie and their roundtables there, the postgames and skip the rest of the time outside for an hour or two around the noon hour. It's made life a lot more enjoyable now that I've realized they're basically a college level station with Ian Mendes as its only saving grace. And Steve Lloyd, can't forget him.
:help:

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
I wonder if the Radio industry ever tried to acquire rights to the unused OTA digital bandwidth left unused by TV stations. If they sent out a strong broadcast signal only small antennas would be needed. They could explore new marketing options ie.. clear local radio without rf interference, closed captions, low level graphics, ticker tape news and weather reports, karaoke words and music etc... I could see a whole new portable industry spring up from something like that.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015

Actually, I think Simmer been a little better on the drive, especially since he's not repeating himself since they stopped Simmer at 7. Also, Panda is getting better and cutting off his nonsense and better at the comebacks to some of Simmer's remarks.

I'd like to see once AJ is done with the Redblacks, since he's not doing the 67's anymore to replace Simmer at 7. Something like "Poke the Bear" or "You're on Notice" and let him rant every morning.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Thanks Simmer for re-branding Ian Mendes. Panda resisted hard at first but the force was strong with you..... Yoda!

Did you hear JR talk about Panda's new show that will be on Sunday mornings? Is it 8:00 am? If I heard correctly it's supposed to be Panda and the bloggers.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
The concept of bringing sports bloggers on board sounds really good. Hope I remember to tune in. Sundays are not a usual radio day for me especially early am (extra snooze time). Maybe I'll have to catch it in rerun on TSN1200.

Last edited by a moderator:

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Congratulations Ian Mendes on the new show giving voice to Sens bloggers alongside the mainstream media. Hopefully this will open the door to occasionally inserting Sens bloggers in guest spots into your regular weekly shows instead of always interviewing the same old media spokespersons.

An enjoyable hour went by far too quickly. Good pace and great guest co-hosts SensChirp (Dave) and SB Nation blogger Michaela Schreiter. I appreciated your candor as not being know-it-alls especially with advanced stats and just being regular Sens fans. You both did a standup job.

Michaela you have a confident solid clear voice. Surely you've done radio or TV work before in a sports environment. If not, you should seriously consider a career change.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Actually, I think Simmer been a little better on the drive, especially since he's not repeating himself since they stopped Simmer at 7. Also, Panda is getting better and cutting off his nonsense and better at the comebacks to some of Simmer's remarks.

I'd like to see once AJ is done with the Redblacks, since he's not doing the 67's anymore to replace Simmer at 7. Something like "Poke the Bear" or "You're on Notice" and let him rant every morning.

On the post-game last night, Simmer went on about taking a bath with some wine. Complete dead air and unneeded. Newsflash Simmer: I don't care about your personal life. I don't care about your Washington Capitals days. Talk Sens or talk sports to go back to the 'wood or wherever you hang out these days. His mic should be cut as soon as he goes off topic. (I don't get why he's the only one that does this. The other guys rarely do it and Yorkie used to do it and they thankfully parted ways). I would love to see A.J. as well, he keeps to the sports and hockey and while cracking the occasional joke.

Ideally:
Post-game: Todd White/Mendes or Versage/Mendes or Jakubec/Versage
Drive: As is, but ideally farm out Simmer to an NHL team and replace with Versage or Jakubec.
Mornings: This is fine, J.R. and Warnsie have great chemistry.
Late mornings: Also fine, Lloyd is fine and White is pretty good.

Advanced Chats sounded great but Chirp doesn't use Analytics on his site. He does have the best fan response site. Michaela is great.

Please get 6th Sens and Adnan on. Or just Adnan permanently. I will accept pineapple juice banter as a rare instance of going off-topic.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Online feed has been busted for most of the day. Their button pushing monkeys on strike or what?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I'd like to see once AJ is done with the Redblacks, since he's not doing the 67's anymore to replace Simmer at 7. Something like "Poke the Bear" or "You're on Notice" and let him rant every morning

Would love anyway of getting more AJ on the station, i understand he is not much for morning's so your proposed idea would likely be quite enjoyable....everyone on notice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia