The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Or perhaps they just find it amusing that people with no idea how the industry works think that *****ing about things to the internet is constructive criticism. Most of whats posted here, not all.

I find it funny, a professional in the business must find it hilarious.
Okay, I'll bite.

And how long have you been in the industry?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I have to disagree with #1. To me, it feels very insecure for one of these radio guys to post things from forums in order to get a couple of his followers to back him up.

If it's done very occasionally, it can be good for a laugh. There are some pretty crazy comments out there. Agree though that if it's something they're constantly going back to, it makes them look insecure. Ian seems to use it regularly.

Or perhaps they just find it amusing that people with no idea how the industry works think that *****ing about things to the internet is constructive criticism. Most of whats posted here, not all.

I think their ratings are much too low for them to pull out the 'you have no idea how the industry works' card. Besides, it's not 1975 and anyone can pretty much listen to any sports radio station on the planet today. I don't see an "Official XXXXXX Sports Radio Thread" in any other team's forum apart from this one (perhaps I've missed one, but can't remember seeing one).

All that said, I would definitely have tuned in if I knew that Marc Methot was co-hosting the other day. He has the best interviews and I'm sure he was great in a longer format too. If he joins TSN1200 after he retires, it would definitely be a turn for the good.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If it's done very occasionally, it can be good for a laugh. There are some pretty crazy comments out there. Agree though that if it's something they're constantly going back to, it makes them look insecure. Ian seems to use it regularly.

I think their ratings are much too low for them to pull out the 'you have no idea how the industry works' card. Besides, it's not 1975 and anyone can pretty much listen to any sports radio station on the planet today. I don't see an "Official XXXXXX Sports Radio Thread" in any other team's forum apart from this one (perhaps I've missed one, but can't remember seeing one).

All that said, I would definitely have tuned in if I knew that Marc Methot was co-hosting the other day. He has the best interviews and I'm sure he was great in a longer format too. If he joins TSN1200 after he retires, it would definitely be a turn for the good.

Just to lose him to TV? I can't handle that again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If Methot is as good as the folks on here say, then he should definitely go for it after his playing career. It would be pretty neat to see a few more retired Sens on radio/tv in the next decade. Looks good on the organization for having quality guys.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. LOL

I could definitely see him ending up on TV but would enjoy him if he managed to sneak in some radio before heading big time.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What are their ratings? Are local radio ratings public info?

“I think talk radio in general as a whole is alive and well in Ottawa as it usually is,” said Mr. Mellon noting that Radio One’s jump came as AM talk station CFRA had “another incredible book” and TSN 1200 “had one of their best ratings ever.”
Mr. Mellon said the TSN 1200 success can be directly related to the amazing run Andrew Hammond had in the Ottawa Senator net, leading his team to a playoff spot no one expected only months earlier.
“Everybody was caught up in it and fortunately for TSN, that happened right during ratings. Couldn’t have timed it better for them,” he said, as the station’s ratings went from 1.9 to 3.7, and its adult listeners went from 2.5 to 4.8.

Tom Pechloff - Ottawa Business Journal
Published on May 28, 2015
http://www.obj.ca/

In Ottawa TSN 1200 have some of the lowest ratings.

http://kowchmedia.com/by-the-numbers-2015-spring-radio-ballot-ratings-in-ontario/

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Ottawans also likes to whine a lot.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ottawans also likes to whine a lot.
We are called Ottabots.

tumblr_mv35mtu2J81sh2ypgo1_250.gif~c200

We are more than meets the eye.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere (a few years ago) that Ottawa has the most radio stations per capita in the country. Pure listener ratings might not be the end all and be all for this city considering we generally have more stations to choose from compared to many other cities.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere (a few years ago) that Ottawa has the most radio stations per capita in the country. Pure listener ratings might not be the end all and be all for this city considering we generally have more stations to choose from compared to many other cities.
When taking a look at other cities Ottawa/Gatineau I would say looks average. When comparing to a city like Winnipeg Ottawa has 1 more radio station but almost twice the population.

Actually sports radio across the country has pretty poor ratings.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
If Methot is as good as the folks on here say, then he should definitely go for it after his playing career. It would be pretty neat to see a few more retired Sens on radio/tv in the next decade. Looks good on the organization for having quality guys.

They have a cup to win first! :)

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
When taking a look at other cities Ottawa/Gatineau I would say looks average. When comparing to a city like Winnipeg Ottawa has 1 more radio station but almost twice the population.

Actually sports radio across the country has pretty poor ratings.

Yup its pretty relative. Sports radio has such a niche audience compared to the usual stuff that tops the charts. Easy listening, top 40 radio stations, news talk radio and all that stuff gets bigger numbers.

Just the nature of the beast.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yup its pretty relative. Sports radio has such a niche audience compared to the usual stuff that tops the charts. Easy listening, top 40 radio stations, news talk radio and all that stuff gets bigger numbers.

Just the nature of the beast.
Considering TSN 1200 is a talk radio station, in Ottawa at least, CBC and CFRA are the most popular.

Hot 89.9 dwarfs it's competition. Explains why TGOR is trying to compete with the same kind of format.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Considering TSN 1200 is a talk radio station, in Ottawa at least, CBC and CFRA are the most popular.

Hot 89.9 dwarfs it's competition. Explains why TGOR is trying to compete with the same kind of format.

It is talk radio, but again its going after a much smaller market. CFRA and CBC appeal to anyone who is interested in news, and lots of older, retired folk spend a lot of time listening to the news. THey also have more time to listen to the radio than the rest of us.

I might be pulling this out of my ass, but i can't imagine local sports talk radio getting higher ratings than those stations anywhere except for during the playoffs and stuff.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It is talk radio, but again its going after a much smaller market. CFRA and CBC appeal to anyone who is interested in news, and lots of older, retired folk spend a lot of time listening to the news. THey also have more time to listen to the radio than the rest of us.

I might be pulling this out of my ass, but i can't imagine local sports talk radio getting higher ratings than those stations anywhere except for during the playoffs and stuff.

Pretty much that's when they spike in Ottawa and it also coincides with the spring ratings.

I listen to the radio all day at work and I flip between CFRA and TSN. During the Season I pretty much listen to Tsn from 10 am to 6pm. Weekends I listen to some CBC.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just curious, how do they measure ratings for radio?

Going by what is in that link:

Anyone 12 years of age or older living in a randomly selected Ontario residence by Numeris was eligible to fill out a ballot for one week. Participants listed the radio station’s call letters they listened to in 15 minute time blocks. At the end of the week, they mailed their ballots back to Numeris to be tabulated. In all, there were 13 weekly groups of ballot holders who participated in the ratings in Belleville/Trenton, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener/Waterloo, London, Oshawa/Whitby, Ottawa/Gatineau, St. Catharines/Niagara and Windsor.
They also do phone surveys about stations in Ottawa

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Apparently Bobby Ryan is no longer listening to the drive anymore because of the negativity. Says it's not because of Mendes though. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad