Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nope. Nonsense. It’s hopeless. It’s over(even though we don’t even know what the roster is gonna be and still have like 25mil in cap space). Why try to compete when you can just quit and tank instead?

This team is at a minimum 2 big pieces from even being a fringe playoff contender. Toews

Toews could be one of those pieces if he even returns, which is far from a lock in itself and for all we know he might be a 3C these days.

This team needs one more great to elite talent at forward IMO. Given we are in a transition and even Bowman himself claimed to be in a rebuild less than a year ago…. I think now is the time to just punt this year, let all the kids get a chance to sink or swim on the blue line to see what we have, and hopefully get that elite talent to pair with Cat, Dach, and hopefully Reichel moving forward.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Peoples infatuation with building a team to hopefully squeak into the playoffs, hopefully get hot, and hopefully just make the Cup Finals, is something. I'd rather they built a team that is more like Tampa, and less like Montreal.

Yeah…that’s so strange that all these fans want to see their team try to compete and succeed. Unheard of…

Do you not know the power of hope? Have you not seen The Shawshank Redemption?!?!?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah…that’s so strange that all these fans want to see their team try to compete and succeed. Unheard of…

Do you not know the power of hope? Have you not seen The Shawshank Redemption?!?!?

I’d rather build a roster that’s able to compete to win a Cup vs hope to maybe make the playoffs and get smoked by Tampa/Vegas/Colorado.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
This team is at a minimum 2 big pieces from even being a fringe playoff contender. Toews

Toews could be one of those pieces if he even returns, which is far from a lock in itself and for all we know he might be a 3C these days.

This team needs one more great to elite talent at forward IMO. Given we are in a transition and even Bowman himself claimed to be in a rebuild less than a year ago…. I think now is the time to just punt this year, let all the kids get a chance to sink or swim on the blue line to see what we have, and hopefully get that elite talent to pair with Cat, Dach, and hopefully Reichel moving forward.

I agree that last years team was at least 2 major pieces away from being a playoff team.

So what if we add 4 major pieces?

Dach counts as a major piece IMO considering he’s our best young player and missed most of last season and even when he did return clearly wasn’t himself yet.

Toews, even if he’s no longer what he once was, is still a huge addition at center.

Then what if we also get one of Hamilton/Jones and also MAF? Hell…what if we also throw in someone like say Alec Martinez?
And what if Boqvist stays healthy too?

Also factor in the vast majority of our roster are young players that are trending upwards and will have one added year of growth/development.

I’d say there’s enough there to assume we’re gonna be much improved from last years version, and could very well make the playoffs. Just get in and give it a run. All I’m saying is there’s a chance. The West is wide open.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I agree that last years team was at least 2 major pieces away from being a playoff team.

So what if we add 4 major pieces?

Dach counts as a major piece IMO considering he’s our best young player and missed most of last season and even when he did return clearly wasn’t himself yet.

Toews, even if he’s no longer what he once was, is still a huge addition at center.

Then what if we also get one of Hamilton/Jones and also MAF? Hell…what if we also throw in someone like say Alec Martinez?
And what if Boqvist stays healthy too?

Also factor in the vast majority of our roster are young players that are trending upwards and will have one added year of growth/development.

I’d say there’s enough there to assume we’re gonna be much improved from last years version, and could very well make the playoffs. Just get in and give it a run. All I’m saying is there’s a chance. The West is wide open.

That’s a lot of ifs.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I’d rather build a roster that’s able to compete to win a Cup vs hope to maybe make the playoffs and get smoked by Tampa/Vegas/Colorado.

Assuming we’d run in to one of those teams and get smoked is what I don’t understand…

Everyone assumed Vegas was gonna smoke MTL. But shit happens. Upsets happen all the time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Of course we want the team to compete and succeed. It's just, do you want to do it for 1 or 2 years, or 5+? Do you want to be Montreal, or Tampa?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Of course we want the team to compete and succeed. It's just, do you want to do it for 1 or 2 years, or 5+? Do you want to be Montreal, or Tampa?

Much more realistic and plausible for us to make a run at it right now(or in these next couple seasons while we still have 19 and 88) than to think we can just build another cap-era dynasty like we had in 2010-2015 or like current TB. I mean you wanna talk about “too many ifs”. That’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Much more realistic and plausible for us to make a run at it right now(or in these next couple seasons while we still have 19 and 88) than to think we can just build another cap-era dynasty like we had in 2010-2015 or like current TB. I mean you wanna talk about “too many ifs”. That’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Who is saying we have to have a cap era dynasty? lol The point is, being contenders every year for 5+ years. Like Colorado is now, like Tampa, like Vegas, etc.

Who is going to be our generational goalie to carry us to the Final (ala MTL)? Fleury couldn't even be relied upon in Vegas behind a really good team. Who else is out there that we can grab? because it isn't Lankinen.

There are far more examples of teams building from within to become good and then adding pieces when they are good, than teams like MTL who tried to speed up their rebuild to try and be good for a year or 2 and luckily made the Finals only to show they didn't belong.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Who is saying we have to have a cap era dynasty? lol The point is, being contenders every year for 5+ years. Like Colorado is now, like Tampa, like Vegas, etc.

Who is going to be our generational goalie to carry us to the Final (ala MTL)? Fleury couldn't even be relied upon in Vegas behind a really good team. Who else is out there that we can grab? because it isn't Lankinen.

There are far more examples of teams building from within to become good and then adding pieces when they are good, than teams like MTL who tried to speed up their rebuild to try and be good for a year or 2 and luckily made the Finals only to show they didn't belong.

Did they really show they “didn’t belong”? They beat Vegas didn’t they? And that’s one incredible TB team they lost to in the SCF, no shame. They made a legit run.

Reactions: Brightwing

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Nothing majorly new here, but Bruce Garrioch from the Ottawa Sun had a wrap up of rumours from Saturday including this:

The Chicago Blackhawks are trying to acquire Seth Jones from the Columbus Blue Jackets and that’s left GM Stan Bowman trying to clear up roster space. The word Saturday was the club is trying to move RFA D NikitaZadorov to make room for Jones

SNAPSHOTS: The Calgary Flames tried to get in on the action Saturday afternoon but came up short in the end | Ottawa Sun

Also do we want to see Matt Tkachuk in St. Louis? :skeptic:

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Nothing majorly new here, but Bruce Garrioch from the Ottawa Sun had a wrap up of rumours from Saturday including this:

The Chicago Blackhawks are trying to acquire Seth Jones from the Columbus Blue Jackets and that’s left GM Stan Bowman trying to clear up roster space. The word Saturday was the club is trying to move RFA D NikitaZadorov to make room for Jones

SNAPSHOTS: The Calgary Flames tried to get in on the action Saturday afternoon but came up short in the end | Ottawa Sun

Tkachuk in St. Louis would be a major pain in the ass. They get better if they clear Tarasenko's money and add the hometown kid. It'll cost a pretty penny, but he'll be a thorn in our side the next decade if it happens.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Did they really show they “didn’t belong”? They beat Vegas didn’t they? And that’s one incredible TB team they lost to in the SCF, no shame. They made a legit run.
Yes, they were outplayed in every game, and luckily won one. It was a cinderella run, no different than NJ in 2012.

Last edited:

giza

Jul 19, 2011
It will be interesting to see if the Kraken take Z-----that's really the only player that we'll feel some pain with----DeHaan would be outstanding.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Talk about a strawman argument! How do we get to be the next Tampa, where we can draft two top 10 players in the league in the 2nd and 3rd round respectively, and get all our stars to take contract discounts to stay? I don't see how making a deal to try to improve the current team makes us Montreal, praying for a fluke run.

IMO, see if you can improve the team without mortgaging the future. Dach and Toews are huge upgrades at C, so try and get 2 top 4 do-men (Hamilton, Suter or Murray), and a legit backup goalie (Halak), and see where you end up.

If you don't do that, then tear it down to the floorboards by trading PK/JT with retention to maximize return.

Just don't want to stay mediocre where if you're lucky you don't get swept in the first round, and you consistently draft between 10-20.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Talk about a strawman argument! How do we get to be the next Tampa, where we can draft two top 10 players in the league in the 2nd and 3rd round respectively, and get all our stars to take contract discounts to stay? I don't see how making a deal to try to improve the current team makes us Montreal, praying for a fluke run.

IMO, see if you can improve the team without mortgaging the future. Dach and Toews are huge upgrades at C, so try and get 2 top 4 do-men (Hamilton, Suter or Murray), and a legit backup goalie (Halak), and see where you end up.

If you don't do that, then tear it down to the floorboards by trading PK/JT with retention to maximize return.

Just don't want to stay mediocre where if you're lucky you don't get swept in the first round, and you consistently draft between 10-20.
You realize getting Hamilton and Murray, and a legit back up makes us a ....mediocre team, right? I'm not saying we shouldn't add a really good player at the right cap hit if the opportunity presents itself, and doesn't cost us our future stars. But I just don't see anyone out there who would fit in to that category.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Do not want......
Keep the young players, Stan.
They really can't afford to trade Dach/Boqvist/Reichel

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Do not want......
Keep the young players, Stan.
They really can't afford to trade Dach/Boqvist/Reichel

Does acquiring Jones at the cost of Two of those players plus a 1st make the hawks better?

I’m honestly not sure it does. And I like Jones. And it sounds like that’s the cost.

Rumors that CBJ talked to Dallas and asked about Klingberg. That’s nuts. Hard pass if that’s the kind of value they want back.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Does acquiring Jones at the cost of Two of those players plus a 1st make the hawks better?

I’m honestly not sure it does. And I like Jones. And it sounds like that’s the cost.

Rumors that CBJ talked to Dallas and asked about Klingberg. That’s nuts. Hard pass if that’s the kind of value they want back.

Jones is a weird case. He's probably a top pairing D, but I don't think he's this absolute bonafide #1 either. Analytics folks think he's terrible. The truth is somewhere in the middle and really I don't want anything to do with him at all.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Jones is a weird case. He's probably a top pairing D, but I don't think he's this absolute bonafide #1 either. Analytics folks think he's terrible. The truth is somewhere in the middle and really I don't want anything to do with him at all.

Yep

With you on that, he’s not awful but he’s not an elite 1D. (At least he hasn’t been lately)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I may be wrong here but isn't Klingberg essentially coming off some poor years as well

So both defenders that looked to be becoming elite are coming off some struggles so in end teams just switch out defenders that aren't in future plans and hope the change of sceneries work out and they can extend them in new cities

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I may be wrong here but isn't Klingberg essentially coming off some poor years as well

So both defenders that looked to be becoming elite are coming off some struggles so in end teams just switch out defenders that aren't in future plans and hope the change of sceneries work out and they can extend them in new cities
As soon as I saw Jones was interested in signing with Dallas, I thought that a Jones/Klingberg swap made sense for both teams. It's what I think ends up happening.

I think CBJ grabs Klingberg and hope that they can convince him to stick around. If they can't, then they turn around and flip Klingberg at the TDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland