Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I think so too, but it’s still going to be a really bad team and overall defense. I feel bad for the goalies.

But at this point we shouldn’t. Need to just bottom out this year.

How in gods name can you already be so certain that we’re goingt to be a “really bad team” this upcoming season????

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean just look at the roster and coaching….

Add a healthy Toews and a healthy Dach as well as two righty defenders and you've got a very good team. Toews missed the entire season and Dach was never quite himself. If they can add a top4 righty defender and maybe another righty to be able to send the youngsters to Rockford then the Blackhawks are a good team.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Add a healthy Toews and a healthy Dach as well as two righty defenders and you've got a very good team. Toews missed the entire season and Dach was never quite himself. If they can add a top4 righty defender and maybe another righty to be able to send the youngsters to Rockford then the Blackhawks are a good team.

theres no guarantee 1) toews will come back and look like he did 2 years ago and 2) that Dach is a difference maker. 1 top 4 defender isn’t going to make one of the worst defenses in hockey good

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
our Forward group looks good next year, wish I could say the same for the D core...

if we don't sign or trade for a top 4 D next season is going to be a long ass bad year from a Wins and Losses perspective...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, Bowman’s going all in for at least one defenseman.

I don’t think we can roll out Murphy, Boqvist, CDH and Stillman as a top 4 next year.

Stillman and Murphy yes. DeHaan maybe...depending on his health. Boqvist maybe later in the season but he should start in Rockford. Unfortunately, that option didn't really exist last season with Seabrook retiring and the AHL not playing a regular schedule.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Why do you have this thing with adding RHD's?
DeHaan
Zhadarov
Kalynuk (Moving to the left side where he is best)
Stillman

This is no great shakes on the left side. A case can be made it's worse than the right side.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
theres no guarantee 1) toews will come back and look like he did 2 years ago and 2) that Dach is a difference maker. 1 top 4 defender isn’t going to make one of the worst defenses in hockey good

There's never a guarantee. But it's not a given that this team is gonna be as bad as some here seem to think. I'm pretty sure the plan is to compete.

Reactions: SimpleJack

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
DeHaan
Zhadarov
Stillman

This is no great shakes on the left side. A case can be made it's worse than the right side.

Well the most high profile FA is a RD and the most high profile available in trade is RD with Hawks connected to both

So its pretty clear to see that Bowman is looking to add top RD which is coveted position thru entire league and has been for a while

As for our LD ,, Z is going to Seattle and CDH plays both sides technically and is likely going to rotate in and out of lineup on both sides as our #7 (Hopefully)

So our LD situation is

Kalynuk
Stillman
Jones
Beaudin

At this point my expectation is that one of Kalynuk or Beaudin is going to be traded which to me is a mistake

Not thrilled with LD situation and a little confused on why Bowman is so high on Stillman and Jones

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
DeHaan
Zhadarov
Stillman

There was zero depth on the right side even before Seabrook retired. Then Seabrook didn't get replaced either. Mitchell and Boqvist needed an AHL season but didn't get one. Regula is gonna need even more time. Murphy is the only righty vet, the only righty proven to be good enough to consistently defend at NHL level. So the Blackhawks have one proven righty and three great prospects. Not enough. Those three are gonna need development time so the Blackhawks have to add at least two righties. You can argue that the right side is more talented than the left side but that's about it. Now if at least one of the new righties is of true top4 quality then I like the Blackhawks chances to compete.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Well the most high profile FA is a RD and the most high profile available in trade is RD with Hawks connected to both

So its pretty clear to see that Bowman is looking to add top RD which is coveted position thru entire league and has been for a while

As for our LD ,, Z is going to Seattle and CDH plays both sides technically and is likely going to rotate in and out of lineup on both sides as our #7 (Hopefully)

So our LD situation is

Kalynuk
Stillman
Jones
Beaudin

At this point my expectation is that one of Kalynuk or Beaudin is going to be traded which to me is a mistake

Not thrilled with LD situation and a little confused on why Bowman is so high on Stillman and Jones

There was zero depth on the right side even before Seabrook retired. Then Seabrook didn't get replaced either. Mitchell and Boqvist needed an AHL season but didn't get one. Regula is gonna need even more time. Murphy is the only righty vet, the only righty proven to be good enough to consistently defend at NHL level. So the Blackhawks have one proven righty and three great prospects. Not enough. Those three are gonna need development time so the Blackhawks have to add at least two righties. You can argue that the right side is more talented than the left side but that's about it. Now if at least one of the new righties is of true top4 quality then I like the Blackhawks chances to compete.

If the Hawks are to compete, how ever one defines compete, it seems to me that after either Seth Jones or Hamilton is added the left side must be addressed with an addition.

And when talking about compete, how is that defined? Make the playoffs? Win a couple of post-season series? SC contender?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If the Hawks are to compete, how ever one defines compete, it seems to me that after either Seth Jones or Hamilton is added the left side must be addressed with an addition.

And when talking about compete, how is that defined? Make the playoffs? Win a couple of post-season series? SC contender?

Too early to tell but if the Blackhawks wanna chase more cups with Toews and Kane, they have to do it soon. I expect the playoffs to be a bit more interesting than the last two years where Tampa was always gonna win. Would be crazy to call the Blackhawks a clear contender but much will depend on the health and availabilty of Toews, Dach and DeHaan as well as the quality of the offseason additions.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
our Forward group looks good next year, wish I could say the same for the D core...

if we don't sign or trade for a top 4 D next season is going to be a long ass bad year from a Wins and Losses perspective...

What Dcore? Like we don’t even know what it’s gonna be/look like yet…

Way too many people jumping to early conclusions.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Too early to tell but if the Blackhawks wanna chase more cups with Toews and Kane, they have to do it soon. I expect the playoffs to be a bit more interesting than the last two years where Tampa was always gonna win. Would be crazy to call the Blackhawks a clear contender but much will depend on the health and availabilty of Toews, Dach and DeHaan as well as the quality of the offseason additions.

So random that you included de Haan in there lol…

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
There's never a guarantee. But it's not a given that this team is gonna be as bad as some here seem to think. I'm pretty sure the plan is to compete.

Exactly. Why the hell are so many people ready to quit on the season before we even have a set roster? It’s insane…

Last years Hawks team damn near made the playoffs and had much less talent than next years team is going to have(barring another injury crisis).

And look at the Canadians who came out of nowhere and made it to the SCF.

You just never know. We’ve still got 88…let’s try and compete dammit!

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
What Dcore? Like we don’t even know what it’s gonna be/look like yet…

Way too many people jumping to early conclusions.

the Dcore that we presently have under contract... nobody here on this message board including Stan Bowman if he comes here knows if any other D will be signed/traded for to play in the upcoming season.

we can only hope that is the case and that whoever they get are decent, Martinez, Hamilton, Schultz, Savard, Oleksiak are a few decent options of the top of my head

I don't want the hawks to trade too much to acquire S Jones to be honest

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Exactly. Why the hell are so many people ready to quit on the season before we even have a set roster? It’s insane…
I dont see anyone quiting on the season some are just concerned about the Defense and there is very good reason to be concerned IMO

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Oh there’s definitely people suggesting we tank/use our cap space to take on bad contracts. That’s essentially quitting. Saying stuff like “we’re gonna suck regardless so let’s just not even try to upgrade the roster”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad