Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Would we have enough money for a competent D core though? I think no with all the extensions coming in too. We'd have to unload Seabs at the least, maybe even lose someone like Kubalik/Kurashev.

It’s assuming the kids take steps in their development. Otherwise you’re right, D core is pretty sketchy.

I still think Boqvist ends up a 2/3 D, Kalynuk a 4, and then some solid stay at home guys like Vlasic,Regula and Phillips.

But yes, the glaring issue is the lack of a true 1D.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Let’s get Jones, Barkov and Forsberg a year of now for free. Okey?
I would love this but it won’t happen. Jones will get traded before then, CBJ will make sure. He will want a new contract, so he will sign for a boatload wherever he goes. I also really doubt Barkov even makes it to free agency, so you’d be waiting for nothing. Filthy Filip may be the only possible reality but chances are Nashville will flip him east if they don’t think they can sign him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He clearly said he saw this as the continuation of what they had been doing since 2017...

they've made little progress since then, maybe he's not the right gm to do the 'rebuilding'...that said if they want to get aggressive with acquisitions via ufa and trade market then i'm all for it, don't believe that they're in a position to do a true rebuild until toews and kane are done playing, just don't have much faith in stan or the pro scouts to actually do it well at this point, hopefully they prove otherwise

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Something I have been thinking about.

Say we had Philip Danault for the last 5 years. He is up to be a UFA this year. He performed as he did with MTL (40-50pt C, selke level D). Would you want the Hawks to re-sign him or let him walk?

I'd assume the answer would be, "we traded him at the TD", or "let him walk". But curious.

Could be an option for Bowman, as it sounds like he won't be signing in MTL.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Something I have been thinking about.

Say we had Philip Danault for the last 5 years. He is up to be a UFA this year. He performed as he did with MTL (40-50pt C, selke level D). Would you want the Hawks to re-sign him or let him walk?

I'd assume the answer would be, "we traded him at the TD", or "let him walk". But curious.

Could be an option for Bowman, as it sounds like he won't be signing in MTL.

would love to sign him for the right price...he would make an excellent shut down center in a top 9 role behind toews and dach...they'd have 2 (arguably 3) centers next year that they could put on any line and expect to shut down the opposition..and if kirby develops into a 2 way beast they're set at center for a while...Danault's probably looking at the Kevin Hayes deal and asking for that

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure a 28 year old defensive minded center is what this team needs given RNH and others just got 8 years. I’m sure Danault will get at least 6 years if not 8 as well. Hell Goodrow got 6 years at 3.6 per.

Pass on Danault.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Not sure a 28 year old defensive minded center is what this team needs given RNH and others just got 8 years. I’m sure Danault will get at least 6 years if not 8 as well. Hell Goodrow got 6 years at 3.6 per.

Pass on Danault.

Love Danault, but agree his cap hit is not what we need with all the options for 3C on roster anyway (Kurashev, Borgstrom, Suter, Strome).

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Hawks need anything defensive minded. Honestly, I think Toews (since he can do it) should be on the 3rd line and hand over the 2nd line to Suter. Maybe something like Connelly, Toews and Hagel on the 3rd line?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hawks need anything defensive minded. Honestly, I think Toews (since he can do it) should be on the 3rd line and hand over the 2nd line to Suter. Maybe something like Connelly, Toews and Hagel on the 3rd line?
Maybe it's just me, but I think we should have our best C on one of the 2 top lines.

Reactions: Fortyfives

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Pass on Danault.
A defensive minded C is exactly what the team needs, but yes, 8yrs for a 28yr old is not something I want either.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
All of Chicago’s cap space should be used as a weapon. If they waste it on Hamilton, this team is doomed for another five years.

Can you give any recent examples of where "quality" assets were moved for cap space? ARZ recently took on 2 years of Ladd @ $5.5M cap (less actual $'s) for 2x 2nd's, and a 3rd. I just don't see how that type of return (or a guy like Stillman) actually moves the needle for this team.

If you're going "full rebuild", than that type of deal makes sense after you've moved JT/PK with retention to maximize return.

Reactions: SimpleJack

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Can you give any recent examples of where "quality" assets were moved for cap space? ARZ recently took on 2 years of Ladd @ $5.5M cap (less actual $'s) for 2x 2nd's, and a 3rd. I just don't see how that type of return (or a guy like Stillman) actually moves the needle for this team.

If you're going "full rebuild", than that type of deal makes sense after you've moved JT/PK with retention to maximize return.
2 2nd rounders are quality assets. Could acquire a Dman like Devon Toews for that.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
2 2nd rounders are quality assets. Could acquire a Dman like Devon Toews for that.
But that's the equivalent of allocating 9.6m for Devon Toews (Devon's 4.1m hit and Ladd's 5.5m hit). I really like Toews, but that would be horrible asset management.

Thats the same reason why the Connolly trade made no sense. Taking Stillman out of the equation, if Connolly is a 13th F, you're allocating 4.5m in cap space for Borgstrom for the next two years.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But that's the equivalent of allocating 9.6m for Devon Toews (Devon's 4.1m hit and Ladd's 5.5m hit). I really like Toews, but that would be horrible asset management.

Thats the same reason why the Connolly trade made no sense. Taking Stillman out of the equation, if Connolly is a 13th F, you're allocating 4.5m in cap space for Borgstrom for the next two years.
In this fictious scenario, we have a ton of cap space, and Toews/4.5mil Dman is still an asset you can deal in 2 years to fill other holes or when you are ready to contend.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Arizona needs to cut salary I guess. I know OEL is a bad contract but what would it take as a sweetener to take him?

edit: Didn’t realize it was 6 more years as 8.25. Maybe we shouldn’t want to get in the business of taking on another Seabrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad