Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Every time I build a roster on Cap Friendly he sticks out like sore thumb and frankly he isn't a fit on any line when you try to build team

Really sucks we ate that contract and got so little from deal

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Arizona needs to cut salary I guess. I know OEL is a bad contract but what would it take as a sweetener to take him?

edit: Didn’t realize it was 6 more years as 8.25. Maybe we shouldn’t want to get in the business of taking on another Seabrook

Easy no to OEL with that contract. If it was 3 years remaining, sure. But 6? Let someone else bite that bullet even if Arizona is retaining.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Every time I build a roster on Cap Friendly he sticks out like sore thumb and frankly he isn't a fit on any line when you try to build team

Really sucks we ate that contract and got so little from deal
I assume you’re talking about Connolly. In theory, it seemed like an OK gamble that he could bounce back to being a 3rd line scoring threat, which would make him only slightly overpaid…and then we all saw him play. Horrible misread by the pro scouting department.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I assume you’re talking about Connolly. In theory, it seemed like an OK gamble that he could bounce back to being a 3rd line scoring threat, which would make him only slightly overpaid…and then we all saw him play. Horrible misread by the pro scouting department.

Lol. Imagine thinking the Blackhawks made that trade for....Connolly. And hoping for him to play. Are people really this out of touch?

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Lol. Imagine thinking the Blackhawks made that trade for....Connolly. And hoping for him to play. Are people really this out of touch?

Beat me to it.

Borgstrom is the guy they were targeting, if he sucks, then ok throw a fit. (I guess)

But getting mad about Brett f**king Connelly? FFS

Reactions: Muffinalt

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

Yeah Connolly is hot garbage.

How he ever managed to get that deal is beyond me. He must have a really good agent.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah Connolly is hot garbage.

How he ever managed to get that deal is beyond me. He must have a really good agent.

I mean, he had 3 straight years of 15+ goals, including 22 the year before he signed the deal. Then he scored 19 last year in Florida. It's not like he's Barclay Goodrow, who's literally done nothing noteworthy offensively in the NHL but just got 3.6M over 6 years.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Seattle signed Larsson for 4x4 and Boston is looking at retaining Hall for 6x4...could be a buyers market for UFAs depending on how the market shapes up but Stanley could add some nice pieces for reasonable prices if he wants to go that route...

Last edited:

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
From the Lazerus / Kelley piece at The Athletic, referring to trades, Kelley said...

"...Once the expansion draft is over, I expect Stan (Bowman’s) phone to be going off. It’s a good thing I’ll be there to get him live because it’s going to be hard to get him. I think the phones are going to be going crazy.”

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i just have no idea which direction bowman is going to go. Our left side of our defense is a disaster but the forwards are too good to tank. tough spot.

Reactions: Njfj and Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
From the Lazerus / Kelley piece at The Athletic, referring to trades, Kelley said...

"...Once the expansion draft is over, I expect Stan (Bowman’s) phone to be going off. It’s a good thing I’ll be there to get him live because it’s going to be hard to get him. I think the phones are going to be going crazy.”

when he says "get him live" would imagine he means to discuss any deal that involves picks, likely a good pick with rumors about seth

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Seattle signed Larsson for 4x4 and Boston is looking at retaining Hall for 6x4...could be a buyers market for UFAs depending on how the market shapes up but Stanley could add some nice pieces for reasonable prices if he wants to go that route...
I'm not sure how you read those two data points as indicating a buyers market. Larsson is paid what he's worth and Hall is really only looking at Boston. Just like the price BOS paid to trade for him, the price is depressed if that is the single place he wants to play.

Goodrow is a data point that says exactly the opposite.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
i just have no idea which direction bowman is going to go. Our left side of our defense is a disaster but the forwards are too good to tank. tough spot.
That’s why he’s looking to make the team competitive. It would be nice if Hedman and Josi were available at $8 mil per, but he’ll find some defensive help to keep the arena full.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm not sure how you read those two data points as indicating a buyers market. Larsson is paid what he's worth and Hall is really only looking at Boston. Just like the price BOS paid to trade for him, the price is depressed if that is the single place he wants to play.

Goodrow is a data point that says exactly the opposite.

people on here had Larsson pegged to make a bit more than 4m per and Hall is coming off an 8 million dollar aav...the term those two players are receiving on new deals indicate potentially more of a buyers market, the Goodrow contract is bad...i never said definitively it would be a buyers market based on those two deals, but them not receiving 6-8 years deals is a positive development

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
people on here had Larsson pegged to make a bit more than 4m per and Hall is coming off an 8 million dollar aav...the term those two players are receiving on new deals indicate potentially more of a buyers market, the Goodrow contract is bad...i never said definitively it would be a buyers market based on those two deals, but them not receiving 6-8 years deals is a positive development
A lot of reporters also think it will be a buyers market. I say stay away from the guys that will be signed on the 1st day of free agency, and find bargains on 1 year deals later in free agency.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
You said it was a misread getting Connolly. Do you honestly think Connolly was the reason they made that trade? Or that they even cared if he was a top 9 winger? No, they didn't.
I was responding to a comment about Connolly being a tough fit on the current team, not about the trade and I said..."In theory, it seemed like an OK gamble that he could bounce back to being a 3rd line scoring threat, which would make him only slightly overpaid…and then we all saw him play. Horrible misread by the pro scouting department."

If the Hawks thought Connolly was totally cooked, the trade only makes sense if they were very confident Borgstrom is a legit #2 center or Stillman is a legit middle pairing D. Obviously, both of those are very big reaches.

Therefore, if I'm putting myself in Stan's shoes at the time of the trade, he obviously really liked Borgstrom's potential and Stillman is fine as a 6/7 and thats what he's being paid at. But if he truly thought Connolly is just cap hit, then that that means he's guaranteed to take on a 3.5M cap hit for Borgstrom's potential. And no matter what you think of Stan, if that is all there is to the trade, that is insane.

My point is, they had to think at the time they were going to get something out of Connolly (he had a garbage 20 games for the Panthers after putting up 2 seasons of 0.5ppg/22 goals). That is not the same as saying he was the reason they made the trade or whatever else you want to read into it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I was responding to a comment about Connolly being a tough fit on the current team, not about the trade and I said..."In theory, it seemed like an OK gamble that he could bounce back to being a 3rd line scoring threat, which would make him only slightly overpaid…and then we all saw him play. Horrible misread by the pro scouting department."

If the Hawks thought Connolly was totally cooked, the trade only makes sense if they were very confident Borgstrom is a legit #2 center or Stillman is a legit middle pairing D. Obviously, both of those are very big reaches.

Therefore, if I'm putting myself in Stan's shoes at the time of the trade, he obviously really liked Borgstrom's potential and Stillman is fine as a 6/7 and thats what he's being paid at. But if he truly thought Connolly is just cap hit, then that that means he's guaranteed to take on a 3.5M cap hit for Borgstrom's potential. And no matter what you think of Stan, if that is all there is to the trade, that is insane.

My point is, they had to think at the time they were going to get something out of Connolly (he had a garbage 20 games for the Panthers after putting up 2 seasons of 0.5ppg/22 goals). That is not the same as saying he was the reason they made the trade or whatever else you want to read into it.
No, it doesn't. Teams aren't going to give you a guaranteed 2nd line C for taking on 2 years at 3.5mil. lol

They are hoping Borgstrom turns in to something (and Stillman), and took on Connollys contract in that gamble. It really doesn't matter what happens with Connolly. His contract is off the books after next year, and they will still have those guys (unless they are traded for other assets)

It's not insane at all, the 3.5mil really doesn't matter at all, the Hawks won't be going all out and spending to the cap, clearly.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

So, yes, you really are that out of touch. The Hawks don't give a f*** about Connolly's play. It wasn't a "misread" by their pro scouting department at all. The entire NHL likely knows Connolly is useless. That's why Florida had to give up two players to get rid of him... This is how cap dumps work.

The Hawks could also send him to Rockford, making his cap hit $2.5M... What are you missing here?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So, yes, you really are that out of touch. The Hawks don't give a f*** about Connolly's play. It wasn't a "misread" by their pro scouting department at all. The entire NHL likely knows Connolly is useless. That's why Florida had to give up two players to get rid of him... This is how cap dumps work.

The Hawks could also send him to Rockford, making his cap hit $2.5M... What are you missing here?
He thinks they should have got a 2nd line C or a top 4 Dman for taking on 3.5mil cap hit.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
No, it doesn't. Teams aren't going to give you a guaranteed 2nd line C for taking on 2 years at 3.5mil. lol

They are hoping Borgstrom turns in to something (and Stillman), and took on Connollys contract in that gamble. It really doesn't matter what happens with Connolly. His contract is off the books after next year, and they will still have those guys (unless they are traded for other assets)

It's not insane at all, the 3.5mil really doesn't matter at all, the Hawks won't be going all out and spending to the cap, clearly.

Again, you are putting words in my mouth, no one said guaranteed 2nd line C. Nothing is black and white or 100%, there are risks and degrees of confidence.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Borgstrom is a fine gamble, but not enough to be completely worth all of Connolly's cap hit. And it was a mistake (but not an unreasonable one) to think that Connolly's previous 2 seasons of good play could result in him being somewhat of a bounce back candidate after 20 horrible games.

If they really thought he was just a cap hit, nothing more, then they likely wouldn't have played him all of the first 9 games after acquiring him and give him 11:30 of ice time (he did only play 1 of the last 5 games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad