Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VX

Status
Not open for further replies.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
They got you good
You can’t wave if you’re stuck in stone.

I probably went through a phase of where I enjoyed whatever you enjoy. But I like what’s newest, I’m always excited to see what the next thing is gonna be.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
You can’t wave if you’re stuck in stone.

I probably went through a phase of where I enjoyed whatever you enjoy. But I like what’s newest, I’m always excited to see what the next thing is gonna be.

If I heard that song in middle school I would've laughed out loud thinking it was a joke, that there's no way a real rapper/artist would put that out as a serious piece. Yet barely stringing together a sentence is the norm now....

Do you really care about the content though? What good is new if it's not even innovative/clever/original/intelligent...aside from release date, what exactly is new? Catchy beats are a dime a dozen. Lyrics typical at best. Most of it is generic and almost insultingly dumb. I do get why it's popular though. Plus, you've got to realize a number of these people supposedly taking the industry by storm are pill-popping sellouts part of an ongoing marketing scheme, and made significant contractual and creative sacrifices (at minimum) to have their name and music spammed to the masses via every avenue possible.

Not to target the song or artist you posted in particular, but in general, a LOT of the "new" stuff you're excited about lacks anything genuine or creative imo, and I'm really on the lookout these days. When I hear what constitutes modern "hip-hop" now, the first word that usually comes to mind is "generic" or "typical". No disrespect but new means nothing without some substance behind it.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
If I heard that song in middle school I would've laughed out loud thinking it was a joke, that there's no way a real rapper/artist would put that out as a serious piece. Yet barely stringing together a sentence is the norm now....

Do you really care about the content though? What good is new if it's not even innovative/clever/original/intelligent...aside from release date, what exactly is new? Catchy beats are a dime a dozen. Lyrics typical at best. Most of it is generic and almost insultingly dumb. I do get why it's popular though. Plus, you've got to realize a number of these people supposedly taking the industry by storm are pill-popping sellouts part of an ongoing marketing scheme, and made significant contractual and creative sacrifices (at minimum) to have their name and music spammed to the masses via every avenue possible.

Not to target the song or artist you posted in particular, but in general, a LOT of the "new" stuff you're excited about lacks anything genuine or creative imo, and I'm really on the lookout these days. When I hear what constitutes modern "hip-hop" now, the first word that usually comes to mind is "generic" or "typical". No disrespect but new means nothing without some substance behind it.
What do you listen to? What context do you listen to in?

I won’t disagree that the new stuff can be smarter, and maybe that’s what it needs to evolve into, but right now the percussive melodies that rappers use is innovative. The production is on point for a lot of new releases as well.

Either way I’m looking for something to listen to while driving or something to request at a strip club. But if you wanna post what you enjoy I wouldn’t mind listening to it.

As for the sacrifices part, that stuff is more a reflection of the audience than some nefarious plot. A lot of us have dark sides that we’ll never come to terms with, which is somewhat of a shame. It’s why we’re so easily manipulated.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think we can all agree rap music is too easy to make and release today. I think that is the biggest problem.

It's slave music.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I don’t think it’s easy to make. I know people who grind all day on this shit, especially trying to make something that stands out in today’s field is hard af.

It is slave music, but slaves have a voice. They know pain that transcends the “I’m a lyrical miracle ready to drop bombs like automatons” that gets posted a bunch here.

Not to hate though, I went through a purist phase so I get it. But then Love Sosa played and it was a wrap.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017

This is Hip Hop.

With movement, active, for the culture that created it, and fun.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don’t think it’s easy to make. I know people who grind all day on this shit, especially trying to make something that stands out in today’s field is hard af.

It is slave music, but slaves have a voice. They know pain that transcends the “I’m a lyrical miracle ready to drop bombs like automatons” that gets posted a bunch here.

Not to hate though, I went through a purist phase so I get it. But then Love Sosa played and it was a wrap.
Those people who grind all day, are they innovators or duplicators? When I say salve music I am referring to the glorification of self destruction. It's always been in rap music but just there used to be options, that's all.

This has nothing to do with being a purist. I just don't see the quality in most. Rhymes used to be important but they are not now. Hooks are more important. The popular stuff today lacks anything that is sophisticated. As you get older so does your sophistication.

The bar is so much lower today. When NAS wrote Illmatic he was in his late teens (17/18). Front to back that album was a piece of art that everyone said was brilliant. I just don't see that in today's performer. The popular stuff today lacks sophistication.

Today's performers are the children of the ones who fought and paved the way for them.

Not to hate but:

[Intro]
Just a typical day in New York, you know what I'm sayin'
I'm high as f***, yeah
Diamonds on me

[Refrain]
Dropped out of school and bought myself a chain
I must've taught myself a million things

I'm out the trap, I can sell anything
I wish I would allow myself to hear this old dream
I pray my daughter never ever experience no train
I told her Colgate, baby you gotta keep your teeth straight

[Verse 1]
Yeah, bae, I'm flexing, ex textin' (hold on, woah I'm just textin')
Brand new 'Rari, Smith and Wesson (brand new 'Rari, woah, skrt)
Made myself a balla, want my credit, yuh
Speaking of credit, bailiff owe me, I got credit, yuh
Vrrrm, V12, y'all ain't ready at all (skrt)
Trapping B's, I'm like "hurry up and buy"
Extra Draco for my pops, 'cause his birthday 4th of July
I'm so busy it's making me feel like I'm in and out my kids' lives (hey!)

[Chorus]
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh (I'm the father of six babies)
Oooh (you know what I'm sayin?)
New coupe, new shoes (new coupe, brand new shoes)
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Red bottoms, I'm kicking shit, I'm flossing on you fools
(flossin' on you)
Cameltoe big, I see the print inside her suit (cameltoe)
Rose gold my jewelry up, and I'm in and out it too (in and out it)
f*** 'em by the two and let them travel with a few (f*** 'em hoes)
[Post-Chorus]
All this f***in' money got me switchin' out my boo
I'm livin' right and I ain't ever read a book
Chanel vintage, you can put it on the books
The way I whip that pot, they charging me with cruelty, ayy
Yeah, don't try to stop me, don't you try to knock me
You see me got these crackers in the backpack
You gotta forgive my heart, I don't mean to stunt like that
(I don't mean to do that to you, you know what I'm sayin')

[Verse 2]
Red bottoms on, I'm at Met Gala (I'm 'bout to spaz)
Ain't playin', yeah, I want every problem (bitch I'm 'bout to spaz)
Two thousand dollars for the newest snake collar (snake, yeah)
Vintage swagger (vintage swag), head dollar (ain't playin')
Rock clean (rock clean), Balmain (c'mon let's get it)
Vintage swag (just vintage hoe), New Celines (just want my glasses)
Hands dirty (hey), watch me turn 'em clean (clean, clean)
Lil shawty hot (magic), kerosene
I'ma kill by any means, favorite sound ching-ching
I spray her face with my genes, I'ma turn up with my team
New condo on 17th (new condo hoe)
I turn none to something (I turned nothin' to somethin')
AP match my jeans (AP), Converse is McQueen (woah)
Patek for my queen (swag), gambling for these coins
Mattress in front of the swing (uh-huh), private jet living (p***y ass Racial Slur)
I'm on go like beam (I'm on go), new bag with no strings
I put ice in my cup, indoor pool, no chlorine
[Refrain]
Dropped out of school and bought myself a chain
I must've taught myself a million things
I'm out the trap I can sell anything
I wish I would allow myself to hear this old dream
I pray my daughter never ever experience no train
I told her Colgate baby you gotta keep your teeth straight

[Chorus]
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Ooh, New coupe, new shoes (new coupe, brand new shoes)
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
Red bottoms, I'm kicking shit, I'm flossing on you fools
(flossin' on you)
Cameltoe big, I see the print inside her suit (cameltoe)
Rose gold my jewelry up, and I'm in and out it too (in and out it)
f*** 'em by the two and let them travel with a few

Theses are pretty bad lyrics when you read them. As the song plays it isn't as noticeable but by that point you are probably not really listening anyways.

Every song makes your head nod but they don't actually have to be good to do that.

Everyone has their own taste in music and it is subjective. I'm just curious on what makes some of these songs good.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I see we're at that point in the thread where Stylizer gatekeeps hip-hop
Why are you always butt hurt?

You always say things like " this is a banger". I would like to know why so don't take it personal

Here is a mid to late 40's guy who I have never watched before but after the first minute I wanted to hear his opinion on what this album means.

Radio music is for the background. Rap was never that. It said something like dance your ass off, pick yourself up, shoot that Racial Slur, or I'm the best and i took your bitch.

You like the commercial stuff and that's fine. There was commercial stuff back then too.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
You will be taught.

When rap music had important messages.

Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona

I'm very aware of rap's history. I just don't think the genre has to conform to a specific configuration to be legitimate. Art grows and transforms over time, and one of the good things that's come out of it becoming the dominant genre in music is that more and more people have been able to put their spin on it. I've had my exchanges with Holy in the past, as my personal tastes lean toward the more...substantial...side of rap. But I understand that at the end of the day we're all hip hop fans and that should unite us, not going at each other because he doesn't like what I like.

Rap, when we get down to it, is an art form that's entertainment. I also read, but there's areas of literature that I find painfully boring or pop trash. But I still recognize that they're books. They're just not the books I like to read and that's totally cool. It feels self-important and performative to try to put someone else down for having different tastes as a means of elevating myself. That last sentence, that's how it feels like these conversations inevitably go to when people start drawing lines in the sand of what's real hip hop and what isn't.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Why are you always butt hurt?

You always say things like " this is a banger". I would like to know why so don't take it personal

Here is a mid to late 40's guy who I have never watched before but after the first minute I wanted to hear his opinion on what this album means.

Radio music is for the background. Rap was never that. It said something like dance your ass off, pick yourself up, shoot that Racial Slur, or I'm the best and i took your bitch.

You like the commercial stuff and that's fine. There was commercial stuff back then too.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, didn't mean for you to take it personal. My reasoning is above. Rap has always had more conscious shit and more party shit, even in the golden age of the 90s.

I think you might be looking back at things with rose-coloured glasses. What's popular now in the genre has less substance than back in the day, sure, and I don't like as much now as I did even 10 years ago. But there are young guys that can still bring it. You talk about Nas being in his teens with Illmatic, but Joey Bada$$ put out really mature projects in his teens too.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
There’s plenty of lyricists out there if that’s what you’re into. But you’re completely missing the point about how these artists rap, and you underestimate how hard it is to come out with a memorable flow which is necessary when the lyrics aren’t saying too much.

And the people I know are decent. They make stuff you probably wouldn’t like, but they work on it for hours a day. You don’t think it’s a grind because you don’t respect the end product, and it’s easy to judge because it doesn’t fit your palette.

I think you misinterpret why I enjoy the music that I post here, it’s not because I think it’s some great work that stands the test of time. But I think it’s an honest expression of culture at its present form and it helps me understand how to manoeuvre in the world I live in. And a lot of it slaps and can make you dance.

You are aware of break dancing being an integral part of hip hop, right? No ones gonna move anything below their neck and maybe their hands when they listen to Run The Jewels.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, didn't mean for you to take it personal. My reasoning is above. Rap has always had more conscious shit and more party shit, even in the golden age of the 90s.

I think you might be looking back at things with rose-coloured glasses. What's popular now in the genre has less substance than back in the day, sure, and I don't like as much now as I did even 10 years ago. But there are young guys that can still bring it. You talk about Nas being in his teens with Illmatic, but Joey Bada$$ put out really mature projects in his teens too.
I respect your point of view. Nostalgia is a drug that swells the heart. But the aspects that made me love rap music 25 years ago still hold true today. It's what made the genre popular in the first place. I don't listen too but respect the likes of J.cole, Kendrick Lamar, Hopsin, Joey Bada$$, Chance, the guys that can talk to me. As you get older you are more attracted to things that challenge your perception because you generally understand your surroundings. Listening to a 20 year old talk about things that are superficial is understandably unproductive. I chalk it up to these guys are just making dance music because they are not really saying anything, and that's fine. No one asked them to lead a generation to a better place, it just seems that self consciousness isn't as important in the age of selfishness. Some, but not all rappers used to be teachers, not that they were trying but when they would reference something you kind of wanted to know what they were talking about. Some analogies and metaphors were brilliant and were very impressive.

We used to buy albums and listen to them front to back where you pretty much had of it memorized. Now people rent songs and swap it out for the newest hook.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I respect your point of view. Nostalgia is a drug that swells the heart. But the aspects that made me love rap music 25 years ago still hold true today. It's what made the genre popular in the first place. I don't listen too but respect the likes of J.cole, Kendrick Lamar, Hopsin, Joey Bada$$, Chance, the guys that can talk to me. As you get older you are more attracted to things that challenge your perception because you generally understand your surroundings. Listening to a 20 year old talk about things that are superficial is understandably unproductive. I chalk it up to these guys are just making dance music because they are not really saying anything, and that's fine. No one asked them to lead a generation to a better place, it just seems that self consciousness isn't as important in the age of selfishness. Some, but not all rappers used to be teachers, not that they were trying but when they would reference something you kind of wanted to know what they were talking about. Some analogies and metaphors were brilliant and were very impressive.

We used to buy albums and listen to them front to back where you pretty much had of it memorized. Now people rent songs and swap it out for the newest hook.
I hear ya. I listen to rappers that have something to say much, much more than the catchier stuff, but I'd be lying if I said I don't have times where I'm just in the mood for the latter. I think what you're pointing out in terms of the poppier stuff seemingly becoming more and more ubiquitous is probably multifactorial (eg saturation with platforms, ease of access, low barrier to entry, and probably a ton of other things I can't think of right now). It also probably reflects where we are as a society, at least in the mainstream, as how we consume everything these days is based off of instant gratification and away from being rewarded for attention spans. That means that I'm hearing less of what I dig the most, and I can see how that's lamentable. Then again, music tends to be cyclical and maybe another "golden age" is around the corner.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There’s plenty of lyricists out there if that’s what you’re into. But you’re completely missing the point about how these artists rap, and you underestimate how hard it is to come out with a memorable flow which is necessary when the lyrics aren’t saying too much.

And the people I know are decent. They make stuff you probably wouldn’t like, but they work on it for hours a day. You don’t think it’s a grind because you don’t respect the end product, and it’s easy to judge because it doesn’t fit your palette.

I think you misinterpret why I enjoy the music that I post here, it’s not because I think it’s some great work that stands the test of time. But I think it’s an honest expression of culture at its present form and it helps me understand how to manoeuvre in the world I live in. And a lot of it slaps and can make you dance.

You are aware of break dancing being an integral part of hip hop, right? No ones gonna move anything below their neck and maybe their hands when they listen to Run The Jewels.

No one is going to break dance listening to Lil Uzi Vert just like no stripper is going to grind to Gangstarr.

Everyone loved MC Hammer but no one was trying to compare him to real rappers.

I have no doubt the people you know are working very hard on their music. I appreciate different types of music. I appreciate innovation more. I appreciate musicians who take chances when they create.

I understand what rap is. What exactly is memorable about the lyrics that I posted earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad