Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Rick ross is definitely on that list.

Uh, no.

I hate when people name rappers like this on top flows, or top lyricist lists. He can rhyme. He's good at it. But top flows? No.

A good flow, is someone who can ride any beat. Not just rap on one.

Can break down a rhyme scheme effortlessly, to match the beat. Never off beat. Their flow, becomes the beat. Biggie was next level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_zNMU5bG5g

2nd verse for the second link. Benny the Butcher has one of the best flows in the game.

Method Man. Eminem. Black Thought. Rappers that become chameleons to beats. Their flow is an instrument, that no only is on beat, but becomes part of it.

Honestly. I listen to Rick Ross, as he makes dope music.

You're essentially comparing Pavel Datsuk to a 4th line forward on a bad NHL team, and feeling since they both skate, and both are in the NHL, they must be at the same level, with your comment.

There are subtle cues, like above average edge control, speed, low center of gravity and agility that if you don't see them blatantly, that there's just no point in debating them.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I can't believe I need to explain the difference between Rick Ross rapping, and a rapper flowing over a beat:

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Uh, no.

I hate when people name rappers like this on top flows, or top lyricist lists. He can rhyme. He's good at it. But top flows? No.

A good flow, is someone who can ride any beat. Not just rap on one.

Can break down a rhyme scheme effortlessly, to match the beat. Never off beat. Their flow, becomes the beat. Biggie was next level.

2nd verse for the second link. Benny the Butcher has one of the best flows in the game.

Method Man. Eminem. Black Thought. Rappers that become chameleons to beats. Their flow is an instrument, that no only is on beat, but becomes part of it.

Honestly. I listen to Rick Ross, as he makes dope music.

You're essentially comparing Pavel Datsuk to a 4th line forward on a bad NHL team, and feeling since they both skate, and both are in the NHL, they must be at the same level, with your comment.

There are subtle cues, like above average edge control, speed, low center of gravity and agility that if you don't see them blatantly, that there's just no point in debating them.

I did not say that they are on the same level. I told you that Biggie is miles over everyone but Rick ross is on that list imo.

"If you had to make a list of the smoothest flows you’d have to put Biggie first by miles over everyone for sure but Rick ross is definitely on that list."

I think that’s where the misunderstanding is.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007

I'll respect your opinion, and leave it at that. I don't think you understand what a flow entails, if you think that Rick Ross belongs on an all time best list of smoothest ones.

Basically we could do a top 50 or 100, all time--he still doesn't belong on it. How big of a list are we talking? Of all rappers who ever made it mainstream? Regardless of skill?

Then if so, sure. He is definitely on that list, and quite high on it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I did not say that they are on the same level. I told you that Biggie is miles over everyone but Rick ross is on that list imo.

"If you had to make a list of the smoothest flows you’d have to put Biggie first by miles over everyone for sure but Rick ross is definitely on that list."

I think that’s where the misunderstanding is.
Not even close.

C.L.Smooth way smoother
Pusha T way smoother
Ghostface way smoother
Q-tip way smoother
Plug 1 & plug 2 way smoother
Slick Rick way smooth
Nas way smoother
AZ way smoother
O.C. way smoother
Buckshot way smoother
Black Thought way smoother
Akhenaten bien plus lisse
Aesop rock way smoother
Sonny Cheeba waaaaaaaaaaay smoother
Geechi Suede waaaaaaaaaay smoother
Mos Def is way smoother
Common Sense is way smoother

Last edited:

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Not even close.

For me, as a hip hop fan since the late 80's, I struggle when I see people who clearly have zero idea about the culture and its origins, try to talk about who is best. Its often based on limited exposure and understanding on what is out there, vs understanding evolving components regarding skillsets that make a person an elite lyricist.

I worked with a guy who had heard I had formed a hip hop group as a youth, and told me the greatest rapper in the world, was Lil Wayne. His best track was "A Milli".

I usually just remain silent with people like this, and just nod.

But deep down, think of this when I hear them talk:

Reactions: Stylizer1

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Stormzy sending subluminals at Chip again or directs if you are aware of their previous back and forths. I dont think Stormzy's label will let him reply in a full clash (diss) track but just small lines on features as he will get demolished by Chip.

Chip responded in less then a day ha.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
For me, as a hip hop fan since the late 80's, I struggle when I see people who clearly have zero idea about the culture and its origins, try to talk about who is best. Its often based on limited exposure and understanding on what is out there, vs understanding evolving components regarding skillsets that make a person an elite lyricist.

I worked with a guy who had heard I had formed a hip hop group as a youth, and told me the greatest rapper in the world, was Lil Wayne. His best track was "A Milli".

I usually just remain silent with people like this, and just nod.

But deep down, think of this when I hear them talk:

Reactions: Prominence Problem

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
From 2010 Rap music had a steep drop off in quality. What Hip Hop is today is like is if the NBA got rid of dunks, jump shots, passing, and defence and everybody only shot 3's and did lay-ups. Rap is now only a vehicle to promote products, crime, substance use, and jail. All of these things where there before but there was a least a balance.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Ross has an incredible flow and he has to have one of the best ears for beat picking ever. His lyrical content hasn’t changed much but he sounds so good that it doesn’t really matter to me.

Voice/cadence is definitely the biggest thing for an artist to me. It’s what keeps me from getting into Kendrick. I know he makes great music(and some songs are so good I can look past his voice)but I just hate his voice.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Why do you hate Rick Ross? Is it because of the persona?

imo Rick Ross is a cold rapper, his catologue is amazing and his beats picks are top notch… It may sound crazy but Rick Ross’ flow is up there with Biggie’s on the smoothest list :laugh:

He’ll always be Officer Ricky to me. If he was rapping about lunch break with the other COs and locking people up in prison, I could almost get on board. Makes me sick to see him take a coke dealer persona, get the free pass and then have people even utter him in the same breath as Biggie. Makes me absolutely sick.

The whole Florida rap scene just pisses me off. French Montana. Rick Ross. Lil Pump. Smh.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Makes me absolutely sick.

Seriously. When you think of Biggie, one must consider the era he was in. Only then, does one appreciate how ahead of his time that he is.

His style and lyricism are still relevant, today. Rick Ross has no business in that discussion.

He is talented, no doubt, but a generational talent?

Big L. Stack Bundles. These are generational talents, that will still be talked about a generation from now.

one of the best ears for beat picking ever.

He definitely has sound production. Can't knock him on that.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He’ll always be Officer Ricky to me. If he was rapping about lunch break with the other COs and locking people up in prison, I could almost get on board. Makes me sick to see him take a coke dealer persona, get the free pass and then have people even utter him in the same breath as Biggie. Makes me absolutely sick.

The whole Florida rap scene just pisses me off. French Montana. Rick Ross. Lil Pump. Smh.

He is NY Bronx

I really only have one of his songs on my playlist. I know a Canadian artist that traveled down with Majik who filmed it from Toronto. He did the video after the other artist on the track and his label Chinx was murdered. was a pretty emotional set from what i was told, Drake even stopped by near the end of it as he was in the area and is in the group shots on the stairs.

Not a fan of his newer stuff. just jumping on wave after wave of trends (autotune etc)

Reactions: Kristopher Letang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad