HF Habs: The Official hawks race to a better 2nd round pick Thread

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
5 minutes left with a 3-3 tie. I honestly don't care about this pick tbh. Yeah, it would be nice to get back, but I would rather support the Hawks tank to get a better 2nd. Far more important.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Can't have everything go your way, and I'd rather have the better pick.
its looking likely both happens. The Kings have good chances of making the playoffs. And a 9OA pick in the 2nd round is great, which can easily drop to 7th OA of the 2nd round.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
As for the CHI-STL game. Comes down to getting our high 4th round pick back, versus Chicago's 2nd being two spots higher.

The former is a no-brainer imo, not only as an extra pick but as a trade asset to move up (it's almost a 3rd now) while still keeping a selection in the 4th (Oilers).

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
For the good of hockey itself we need Chi to sweep the Blues this week and keep them out of the playoffs.

Then we'll use the Chi/LA picks in our package for The TarasenkShow

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Cool tidbit for y'all:

The last 3 times the Kings are playing against this season will all be on the second-half of back-to-back games. All 3 teams will have played the Ducks first, haha.

I think the Kings are in, barring massive embarrassment.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
As for the CHI-STL game. Comes down to getting our high 4th round pick back, versus Chicago's 2nd being two spots higher.

The former is a no-brainer imo, not only as an extra pick but as a trade asset to move up (it's almost a 3rd now) while still keeping a selection in the 4th (Oilers).
Strongly disagree. I'd take the better 2nd every time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Washington needs to beat St. Louis in regulation. And LA has to beat Colorado in regulation, as well.

If LA does indeed beat Colorado in regulation, it will go a long way in solidifying their spot. It is still not a sure bet right now. And it won't be secure if they win either.

However, if LA wins, they will be at 96 pts while Avs remain at 93. In such a case, the most Avs can get are 97 points (if they win their final 2 games). All LA would need then is 1 point because if Avs and Kings are tied in points, LA holds the advantage on ROW.

If LA wins in OT/SO, they would need to win at least 1 of their final 2 games (MIN & DAL) to secure their spot. Because the most Avs could get after an OT/SO loss is 98 points. And if LA wins 1 of their final 2, they would also be at 98 points, and as mentioned above, they hold the advantage on ROW.

Of course, other outcomes of the games involving LA, Anaheim, Colorado, and St. Louis can changes all the calculations.

It does have to start with LA winning in regulation, though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The higher the draft pick the better, but still doesn't mean we aren't pathetic when we have a thread open on whether we get a 5th or 4th rounder.

Go Kings Go. Yay. Sigh.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A couple slots in the 2nd round can be the difference between getting a guy you rate as a first rounder versus a guy you rate as a second rounder.

When you get to the end of the 3rd round, I'd argue that the vast majority of lists are very, very different.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Good point about Chicago’s pick. So, as long as Chicago doesn’t pass us in the standings, then I am fine for them to sink. Chicago has a rough last 3 games, and they are tied with Edmonton and NYI, so hopefully those two teams pass them.

Tonight’s game against the Avs is important for LA. Hope LA wins in regulation.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd be really hard-pressed to refuse a high 4th just to drop down one or two spots in the 2nd. I'd agree if the round was shallow but all signs point to a pretty deep 2nd.

I agree when you are talking about picking between 38th to 40th vs picking around 97th (as of today) or picking in the say 139th t0 148th range (as of today) Of course it makes sense that you would rather pick higher at 38th then 40th but that 4th vs 5th rounder could be as high as 51 spots higher.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad