Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
When the deal was reported, I was admittedly thinking about how 600 million is a lot for a guy about to turn 30. How many prime years do we actually get anyways? Maybe only 3 or 4? I mean look at Springer at just 34.

Still want Ohtani though, lol.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
When the deal was reported, I was admittedly thinking about how 600 million is a lot for a guy about to turn 30. How many prime years do we actually get anyways? Maybe only 3 or 4? I mean look at Springer at just 34.

Hey there’s no cap and it’s not our money. Bring it on!

Reactions: Jojalu

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Hey there’s no cap and it’s not our money. Bring it on!
I’m all in on the Ohtani train and I think his addition alone will help Rogers pay for a portion of his contract by as much as 15-20 % of the deal.

But given that he’s only a DH next season and he will get older quick, I have him closer to averaging 6-7 WAR per season over his first 5 years rather then 9-10+.

Ohtani would serve the biggest and immediate need the club has though which is a middle of the order bat, but if they signed Yamamoto and Teo for example, or Woodruff and a bat, or Soto next season, although it’s not as good of a fit because we want a big bat and someone immediate, I think in terms of net WAR addition it's possible to buy the same amount of WAR for possibly a better price.

I’m just saying it won’t be the end of the world if we miss out on Ohtani if they can land 5+ WAR player(s) this off-season or next and we should temper expectations with Ohtani ever living up to the contract. But don’t get me wrong, I’m all in.

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
my prediction might be wrong.
latest news in Japan says a private jet probably Ohtani-san on board took off from Anaheim airport and it is flying toward Toronto.
1702119695281.png

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
That Shi Davidi article is incredible. What a jackass. Sorry people chose to believe a known journalist, that the company who employs you retweeted the tweet and the MLB did as well.

Also like time and time again, you’re the beat writer of the jays and get information last

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I think there's blame on both sides.

Tell me why you think fans are completely blameless because I just don't see it.

Because without Morosi - and others - fanning the flames (Jim Bowden quote tweeted the flight stuff in the morning, Nicholson-Smith treated Morosi's morning 'report' as an update lending credibility to the idea he could sign yesterday, BNS also said lots of officials were following the flight stuff/Twitter speculation, and of course Morosi saying Shohei was on the plane - something that was RT'd by the main SNET account) it was really just people dicking around online. Had none of the stuff I mentioned happened, people would have just shrugged and laughed off the flight and opera singer stuff as online absurdity to have some fun with. This was a major, mainstream, story because media institutions made it so - the very "real journalism" Shi tries and pretends was above it all yesterday.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Putting all of yesterday’s nonsense aside, has the player given any indication when he may decide to sign?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Isn’t this thread probably due for a title change? Jays off season discussion, something like that.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Because without Morosi - and others - fanning the flames (Jim Bowden quote tweeted the flight stuff in the morning, Nicholson-Smith treated Morosi's morning 'report' as an update lending credibility to the idea he could sign yesterday, BNS also said lots of officials were following the flight stuff/Twitter speculation, and of course Morosi saying Shohei was on the plane - something that was RT'd by the main SNET account) it was really just people dicking around online. Had none of the stuff I mentioned happened, people would have just shrugged and laughed off the flight and opera singer stuff as online absurdity to have some fun with. This was a major, mainstream, story because media institutions made it so - the very "real journalism" Shi tries and pretends was above it all yesterday.
I blame Rogers. They knew he wasn't coming. They let the story brew and grow all day. Then they put Blair and Barker on for no reason.

They could have put an end to all the nonsense right away

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
All it would have taken to end yesterday's circus is one of the Jays guys saying that they don't believe Ohtani is on his way to Toronto. Instead, they said they don't believe that he has made up his mind (leaving open the possibility that he was on the plane). And nevermind the fact that they could have squashed it long before it became the most tracked flight in the world.

Sportsnet actively ENABLED the speculation yesterday. I dont doubt that Shi and BNS were ordered not to tweet (to keep the buzz), but at the end of the day, Shi is directly responsible and should look in the mirror.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Ohtani pitches and DHs. He shouldn’t decline until much later than George did at centre field.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Journalists constantly f*** up, complain that their profession is suffering and then insult their audience every chance they get.
The Ohtani en route to Toronto thing proved to be flase.

But the J.P Hoornstra guy is an accredited journalist and well connected. He stated “Ohtani to sign with Toronto” not that he “has signed” which could still happen. That could be true or was true. Totally possible that Ohtani was preparing to sign in Toronto and J.P’s info was correct and then when that was leaked Ohtani could have received an enhanced offer from a different team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00