Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I blame Rogers. They knew he wasn't coming. They let the story brew and grow all day. Then they put Blair and Barker on for no reason.

They could have put an end to all the nonsense right away
Marketing. That’s their job.

I heard a few people already bought home opener tickets even if he does or does not sign with the Jays.
I checked the available Spring training tickets earlier this week and they were going fast. Brokers I assume.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I blame Rogers. They knew he wasn't coming. They let the story brew and grow all day. Then they put Blair and Barker on for no reason.

They could have put an end to all the nonsense right away

The team isnt obligated to say anything. No team ever does in this situation. Come on.

Reactions: Jojalu

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The team isnt obligated to say anything. No team ever does in this situation. Come on.
They don't. But there was also no reason to put Blair and Barker on besides adding fuel to the fire. Smart though because they grabbed a whole lot of eyeballs that otherwise wouldn't be watching then, and assuredly raked in some better ad dollars as a result.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They don't. But there was also no reason to put Blair and Barker on besides adding fuel to the fire. Smart though because they grabbed a whole lot of eyeballs that otherwise wouldn't be watching then, and assuredly raked in some better ad dollars as a result.

The station director doesn't have any inside info. They'd be raked over the coals if Kypreos and Bourne are on their talking about Ryan Reaves if and when the biggest baseball news in a generation happens. They're hedging their bets

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Because without Morosi - and others - fanning the flames (Jim Bowden quote tweeted the flight stuff in the morning, Nicholson-Smith treated Morosi's morning 'report' as an update lending credibility to the idea he could sign yesterday, BNS also said lots of officials were following the flight stuff/Twitter speculation, and of course Morosi saying Shohei was on the plane - something that was RT'd by the main SNET account) it was really just people dicking around online. Had none of the stuff I mentioned happened, people would have just shrugged and laughed off the flight and opera singer stuff as online absurdity to have some fun with. This was a major, mainstream, story because media institutions made it so - the very "real journalism" Shi tries and pretends was above it all yesterday.
I'm not sure that journalists consider tweeting to be journalism, especially, in situations like this. They see it as a friendly conversation of here's the latest stuff I've heard. And I think the expectation is that their followers will take it in that way, with an appropriately sized dose of skepticism.

Basically to me, the whole thing was just fan overreaction.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The station director doesn't have any inside info. They'd be raked over the coals if Kypreos and Bourne are on their talking about Ryan Reaves if and when the biggest baseball news in a generation happens. They're hedging their bets
Agreed. But I think this is where the whole journalistic integrity comes into place. The entire day was in overdrive with speculation. Which ended up being completely false. Everyone got sucked into it, and all the media sources we're supposed to trust for the news chased the story and not the truth. Further proving how low the media world has become, which has a lot to do with the instant gratification social media world we live in now.

Reactions: Cypruss

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Uhh MLB, there is a team in Toronto too you know that has been wildly rumoured to be the place where he will sign. Might want to include that team in your graphic.

IMG_0505.jpeg

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'm not sure that journalists consider tweeting to be journalism, especially, in situations like this. They see it as a friendly conversation of here's the latest stuff I've heard. And I think the expectation is that their followers will take it in that way, with an appropriately sized dose of skepticism.

Basically to me, the whole thing was just fan overreaction
There's no way that's considered friendly conversation. They're all competing with each other to break the news first and taken credit (and capture a wider audience).

The only fan overreaction was trusting these people in the industry and posting it when they know very little more than we do it seems.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Or they could have just switched over. I’d rather hear about the NHL rather than Blair tracking a plane they knew Ohtahni wasn’t on. They used the opportunity to sell their product, which is the right thing for any marketing department.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003

No. Journalists using social media is a short-form version of journalism and when they use their platforms to say a source says he's on the plane or to say Ohtoni signed on this same day with the Angels or to highlight the social media plane tracking or to say said plane tracking has other executives buzzing, they're doing that fully knowing their lending their weight of credibility to it all. They don't get to disregard all that and pretend fans whipped themselves into a frenzy and not being pushed into one.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

Are you kidding me? Twitter is the ultimate 'breaking news' journalism tool. Why else do you think journalists got so butthurt when Elon bought out Twitter and decided to start playing with the platform that journalists believed they controlled? Twitter is more important than whatever website they actually "report" for.

You think that yesterday was journalists having "friendly banter" LOL? Those guys are all in competition for breaking news stories. They're not using their primary tool for doing that job to throw shit against the wall as "friendly conversation". If that were the case, why is Jon Morosi posting apology Tweets today about what he Tweeted out yesterday?

It's laughable for Shi Davidi to suggest that fans were overreacting to nothing. His literal companions in the industry created and drove that story. Fans simply react. But as Michael Malice always says: the corporate press is the enemy of the people. That's how spineless journalists are: they screwed up, and their immediate reaction is to blame YOU for believing their story LOL.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Or they could have just switched over. I’d rather hear about the NHL rather than Blair tracking a plane they knew Ohtahni wasn’t on. They used the opportunity to sell their product, which is the right thing for any marketing department.

Let's be honest here; hockey was an afterthought yesterday afternoon in this city. Theres no chance the literal company that owns the Jays isn't going to have baseball guys on air when it looks like it's going to happen.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Twitter is where news happens these days. Friedman isnt doing a radio hit to break news, he's tweeting it first. It's instant.

Reactions: Dr.Funk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad