Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
@TheBeastCoast

Just following up on your quote of my post from last thread. Vladdy had poor swing decisions last year too and still performed to the level of his peripherals. He’s absolutely nowhere close to them this year which is abnormal for his career. This is why I’m saying he’s been unlucky. He still scorches the ball, and he doesn’t have a crazy low LA like much of his career. His away stats resemble closer to his peripherals but his home splits are still way down.

Could the centre field approach be affecting his numbers? Could the new dimensions be zapping his power? I know MS and myself are still circling that Pittsburgh series injury as the turning point of his season. Wrist issues are no joke but it never seems to be something brought up by media. Wouldn’t be the first time a player hides an injury.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Guess which of these 4 players all drafted out of high school by Toronto has never been ranked in the teams top 20 prospects, and been completely overlooked prior to their AAA season.

Player A: 1st round pick, 3.4 million signing bonus, Career MILB .273/.355/.385/.740, 18.2 K%, 11.2 BB%
Player B: 6th round pick, 271k signing bonus, Career MILB .260/.349/.467/.816, 26.3 K%, 10.8 BB%
Player C: 28th Round pick, 50k signing bonus, Career MILB .253/.372/.462/.834, 25.6 K%, 15.5 BB%
Player D: 30th Round pick, 850k signing bonus, Career MILB .276/.351/.448/.799, 18.3 K%, 10.3 BB%

Hint: It's the one who's been statistically the best in the minors, getting better each year as he moved up levels, with the best walk rate. The other 3 are either a current top 5 prospect, or were consistently top 10 despite the mediocre results.

I went looking at Schneider's numbers expecting OPS' in the .500 or .600's with the talk of him thinking about quitting baseball on the broadcast and to my surprise outside of small samples he's pretty much never been a below average hitter for his level. If Toman puts up the same numbers over the next 4 years as he develops that Schneider did he'll be one of our best prospects. We clearly put too much importance on draft pedigree when ranking prospects. Sure this year has been his breakout year, but Davis should have been on the radar long before now.

Last edited:

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
The guy had some kind of series to start what will hopefully be a MLB career not just a flash in the pan.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
@TheBeastCoast

Just following up on your quote of my post from last thread. Vladdy had poor swing decisions last year too and still performed to the level of his peripherals. He’s absolutely nowhere close to them this year which is abnormal for his career. This is why I’m saying he’s been unlucky. He still scorches the ball, and he doesn’t have a crazy low LA like much of his career. His away stats resemble closer to his peripherals but his home splits are still way down.

Could the centre field approach be affecting his numbers? Could the new dimensions be zapping his power? I know MS and myself are still circling that Pittsburgh series injury as the turning point of his season. Wrist issues are no joke but it never seems to be something brought up by media. Wouldn’t be the first time a player hides an injury.

The concern for me is that he now has more data-points of being a replaceable hitter than he does of being a "star". He has one elite season, and that came in 2021 when they played 38 games in Dunedin and then moved to Buffalo to play in a AAA park before moving back home for the tail end of the season, so it's hard to quantify just how much of that success was due to playing in minor league parks.

Simply performing to his peripherals isn't enough. He had a 132 wRC+ last season which is basically exactly where Brandon Belt is today as a 35 year old reclamation bat signed on a 1-year ~$9 mill deal. He is now a career 131 wRC+ hitter, but again, the 166 wRC+ season is still carrying that career total. He has declined significantly from there in each of the past two seasons.

~130 wRC+ hitting sounds impressive, but it's actually fairly replaceable when it comes with negative baserunning and defensive output. It's exactly why teams don't like strict 1B/DH types. So you're getting to the point wherein he's getting expensive for what he actually provides, and you're tasked with potentially committing $20+ mill to him long-term. The other worrying detail is that he isn't even a consistent hitter, as we see that he's prone to all sorts of lapses related to poor swing plane, swing selection, etc. that keep popping in and out.

He desperately needs to be sent to Driveline or some other data-driven thinktank to readjust his swing, but another detail that isn't brought up much is that I'm not even sure how coachable he is. He's from a "baseball family" and I believe his uncle is essentially his de-facto hitting coach. He clearly has all sorts of issues which prevent him from unlocking his true potential, but I get the impression that we're basically under the rule of his family in the Dominican.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The guy had some kind of series to start what will hopefully be a MLB career not just a flash in the pan.
The lineup looks so much deeper, especially at full strength, with another good RH bat like Schneider and Varsho/KK 9th.

1. LF - Merrifield
2. DH - Belt
3. SS - Bichette
4. 1B - Gurrerro
5. RF - Springer
6. 2B - Schneider
7. 3B - Chapman
8. C. - Jansen/Kirk
9. CF - Varsho/Kiermaier

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I like Varsho a lot, but I think his value at this time comes from being a CF. Even with the elite D in LF we just need more offensive production in LF consistently, so hopefully Merrifield and Schneider can keep up the production at 2B and LF.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I like Varsho a lot, but I think his value at this time comes from being a CF. Even with the elite D in LF we just need more offensive production in LF consistently, so hopefully Merrifield and Schneider can keep up the production at 2B and LF.

I was actually surprised looking at Varsho's baseball reference page and seeing that he is a 2.1 WAR player. Astounding, shows you how good his defence is.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The concern for me is that he now has more data-points of being a replaceable hitter than he does of being a "star". He has one elite season, and that came in 2021 when they played 38 games in Dunedin and then moved to Buffalo to play in a AAA park before moving back home for the tail end of the season, so it's hard to quantify just how much of that success was due to playing in minor league parks.

Simply performing to his peripherals isn't enough. He had a 132 wRC+ last season which is basically exactly where Brandon Belt is today as a 35 year old reclamation bat signed on a 1-year ~$9 mill deal. He is now a career 131 wRC+ hitter, but again, the 166 wRC+ season is still carrying that career total. He has declined significantly from there in each of the past two seasons.

~130 wRC+ hitting sounds impressive, but it's actually fairly replaceable when it comes with negative baserunning and defensive output. It's exactly why teams don't like strict 1B/DH types. So you're getting to the point wherein he's getting expensive for what he actually provides, and you're tasked with potentially committing $20+ mill to him long-term. The other worrying detail is that he isn't even a consistent hitter, as we see that he's prone to all sorts of lapses related to poor swing plane, swing selection, etc. that keep popping in and out.

He desperately needs to be sent to Driveline or some other data-driven thinktank to readjust his swing, but another detail that isn't brought up much is that I'm not even sure how coachable he is. He's from a "baseball family" and I believe his uncle is essentially his de-facto hitting coach. He clearly has all sorts of issues which prevent him from unlocking his true potential, but I get the impression that we're basically under the rule of his family in the Dominican.

The 132 is impressive, and I still do believe it should represent his floor. If he was performing to his peripherals this year he’d be a top 10 bat.

I truly believe he’ll break out. Kinda like Harper’s up and down start. Even Tatis is having a whacky year offensively like Vladdy. Obviously the positional versatility, poor defensive metrics, and lack of baserunning hinders his value even more but I’m not buying that he’ll be a 110-120 wRC+ guy moving forward.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ramirez kind of started the entire altercation by getting upset at Anderson after the play ended but Anderson for sure started the fight. I can see Anderson getting more games being reasonable because starting the actual fight is worse and it doesn't really matter who got the better of the fight, they were both throwing, it wasn't just defensive posture from Ramirez. He was willing once challenged. 3 games does seem light for Ramirez though. Guys have gotten more in scrums without any punches. I could see 5 for Ramirez, and 8 for Anderson reasonable.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Ramirez kind of started the entire altercation by getting upset at Anderson after the play ended but Anderson for sure started the fight. I can see Anderson getting more games being reasonable because starting the actual fight is worse and it doesn't really matter who got the better of the fight, they were both throwing, it wasn't just defensive posture from Ramirez. He was willing once challenged. 3 games does seem light for Ramirez though. Guys have gotten more in scrums without any punches. I could see 5 for Ramirez, and 8 for Anderson reasonable.
Anderson got clocked.

Crazy Anderson got more games

he initiated and got a nice hook

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
We are the Merrifield Appreciation Consortium
God save George Springer and all those bases awarded him

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ha, that guy suggesting Ramirez shouldn't have gotten anything is a wild take.
More like a crazy one. Just watched the video again and it looks like Ramirez is the one starting the argument honestly. Anderson might have escalated it but if Ramirez stfu after he's safe nothing happens imo.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Wont lie i found the team very frustrating to watch in the last month (the offense) but i'm excited for tonight's game. I realize Devis will have ups and downs but at least there's hope he could be the help the offense (imo) needed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Seems kind of unreasonable from Grandal tbh. Just because you're not in the lineup doesn't mean you're not going to play. Do the starter pitchers who aren't playing leave early? Seems kind of selfish to me, I'd say something to him too. Then Grandal slaps him because he doesn't just ignore Grandal's selfishness.

I have no doubt Anderson is a total asshat and that's part of it, and it's not just an isolated incident that caused Grandal to slap him, but Grandal's in the wrong here imo.

Wasn’t he highly rated in the Yanks system a few years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille