The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Haha yup. Saw several videos where the user couldn't get the split screen function to do anything properly. Good ol' Samsung.

Touchwiz and memory management are and always have been the problem.

TW is much better than what it was but it still get sluggish after a while. Samsung really need to take a book from google , oneplus and motorala page and learn how to program a proper UI. The hardware is top notch and top of the line so there is no excuse for the UI to start lagging after a while.

Start from scratch for the S9 i say and try to stay closer to the stock android experience.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Touchwiz and memory management are and always have been the problem.

TW is much better than what it was but it still get sluggish after a while. Samsung really need to take a book from google , oneplus and motorala page and learn how to program a proper UI. The hardware is top notch and top of the line so there is no excuse for the UI to start lagging after a while.

Start from scratch for the S9 i say and try to stay closer to the stock android experience.

They'll never do that, Samsung wants to go head to head with Google and Apple. The bixby nonsense is proving they are more emboldened than before.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I dunno my S6 is still running fine

And if people want Stock Android, then they should just buy Pixel, OnePlus etc

Personally I prefer Samsung skin and features

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from an S6 to sn S8. Just finished ordering online with my provider. I basically pay only 3$ more per month but now i have 7 gigs of data instead of 4 and a brand new S8. Was hard to resist.

Wanted to wait for the Pixel 2 XL to see what it would offer but a 6 inch phone is simply too big and not practical for me. S8 is big too but it's more like a 5.5 phone due to the bezel less design. Pixel 2 XL is 6'' with a bezel less design as well. Regular Pixel 2 will apparently keep the same design as the original pixel with those huge bezels so screw that. Other than that the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack on the Pixel 2 made me go for the S8. It may not be a big deal for some but to me it sort of is. Pixel 2 XL will also likely be very expensive at launch and i could see some supply shortage like the first one and i don't have the time for those shaenegians.

Wish the S8 had more than a 3000mah battery but i will live with it. S8+ was too big for me.

Will likely receive it in 2-3 days. Also ordered a Spigen Neo Hybrid case to go with it. Can't wait to see that infinity display in all it's splendor :)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I am still extremely hopeful and extremely excited for the Pixel 2 XL, because, well, my 6P is basically **** right now. Battery is the main complaint. ****ing awful battery life right now.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Y4QFl74.png

Color me shocked, only 10 days between announcement and OTA update is fast by Google's standards. When I went from MM to Nougat, my 6P didn't get the update for nearly a month.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
After having Oreo for a few days, I think my battery life has improved. I unplugged my phone about four hours ago, listened to a podcast over bluetooth while walking to work, and have used my phone a little between now and then and I'm still at 91%.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Haven't noticed a lot of difference with Oreo, notifications have more fine tuning available, or maybe because I use Nova launcher as well, just seems like nougat for the most part.
Changes are more subtle and under the hood.Another change is that if you listen to music and you have the cover art for it, the notification color will change to reflect it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Changes are more subtle and under the hood.Another change is that if you listen to music and you have the cover art for it, the notification color will change to reflect it.

Under the hood changes are fine, improved efficiency is never bad.

I noticed the change with the notification color with the MLB At Bat app today, I liked that.

Battery life seemed improved, but it could be wishful thinking. It seemed like my battery would be lower at that point in the day, vs Nougat. Again, if Google is getting more serious about granular options with permissions or cutting down on unnecessary background polling, that could explain the feeling of improved battery life.

Could wait for a review of Oreo + 6P on a blog or /r/Nexus6p and see if it's a benchmarked difference.

Haven't tried PIP (I have YT Red/GPM), but then again, I never use the split screen apps option added in Nougat. Those seem like features that the Pixel C would benefit more from.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Just got myself a s8.

How is the camera?

Fantastic

Loved my S6 camera but the S8 is much better even if it has less megapixels (but it has a lower aperture size to compensate).

Some of the shots i have taken with the S8 blew me away. It's also very good in low light due to the f 1.7.

Great all around camera. Best i ever had on a phone by far.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fantastic

Loved my S6 camera but the S8 is much better even if it has less megapixels (but it has a lower aperture size to compensate).

Some of the shots i have taken with the S8 blew me away. It's also very good in low light due to the f 1.7.

I'm about to go pick it up, pretty excited. Dunno about the camera, as the G5's double lens was pretty fantastic, but im hyped.

So, just picked it up, rogers didn't send a little utility SD opener or wtv and now i cant open it... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Last edited:

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I'm about to go pick it up, pretty excited. Dunno about the camera, as the G5's double lens was pretty fantastic, but im hyped.

So, just picked it up, rogers didn't send a little utility SD opener or wtv and now i cant open it... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It's much better than the G5 camera.

You will also fall in love with that infinity display. Best screen ever.

I was a bit reluctant in picking a S8 at first since i wanted to wait to see what the Pixel 2 would have in store. But now that i have it i have absolutely zero regrets and that's no matter how the Pixel 2 will turn out. Had it since last wednesday so that's not even a week but i'm totally satisfied so far. A huge upgrade on my S6 and the S6 was a great phone. But the S8 just destroy it on every front

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
One thing is for sure, I really don't like how it feels in my hand, it's way too narrow IMO.

The phone slim profile is something i really like about the phone but i understand it can be personal preference. May be a bit weird at first if you owned many square shaped phones in the past but you'll get used to it i think,

Get a good case. Should solve the issue while protecting your phone and making it much less slippery. I rock a UAG plasma case on mine and it's great. :)

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
One thing is for sure, the display is absolutely beautiful. I see life in HD now :laugh:

Yes it's fantastic

One thing : It's set at 2220 x 1080 by default but you can go into display settings and set it to 2960 x 1440 (QHD+). It make it even better

Just a head up if you didn't knew ;)

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Fantastic

That's good to know, I have the S6 and I love the camera.

The S8 is great but I wish there was a flat screen version and a front finger scanner.
Or a better fingerprint placement on the back

Looking at the V30 and it looks fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad