The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Think I'm going to pass. My spidey-senses would keep going off when reading more about them. Not just from a security/data-mining standpoint but slow OS updates, short support life etc. Might settle for an Essential Phone for now, and wait for the Pixel 4 in 2019.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
So i finally retired my Samsung Galaxy S3 after 5 years of use. I now have an S8 and like it a lot so far. Huge difference between those two phones.

I went from an S6 to an S8 and thought it was quite a big upgrade. Going from an S3 to an S8 must feel like going from a black and white cathodic tube TV to an OLED 4k HDTV haha

Reactions: Killahpunk

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Man this thread definitely isn't what it was :laugh: 20 days between posts, but I'll take it.

So I recently got the Oreo update on my phone, a Galaxy S7 Edge, and needless to say it's rendered it almost unusable. Battery life is maybe a couple hours, fast charging isn't working anymore, and general performance just nosedived. I'm pretty bummed because it was still kicking perfectly before the update.

Wondering if anybody has the Pixel 2 XL, and your experience with it. If I'm upgrading, I'm looking at either the 2 XL, or the S9 plus, as I tend to keep phones for a couple years at least. The S9+ is a beautiful phone, but I've rocked Samsung since the S3, so I'm open to switching it up.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My S7 for work got it as well and it feels... laggy? Things just kind of pop in and it feels janky. Not too worried, but I wanted to let you know that I kind of feel the same way.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Man this thread definitely isn't what it was :laugh: 20 days between posts, but I'll take it.

So I recently got the Oreo update on my phone, a Galaxy S7 Edge, and needless to say it's rendered it almost unusable. Battery life is maybe a couple hours, fast charging isn't working anymore, and general performance just nosedived. I'm pretty bummed because it was still kicking perfectly before the update.

Wondering if anybody has the Pixel 2 XL, and your experience with it. If I'm upgrading, I'm looking at either the 2 XL, or the S9 plus, as I tend to keep phones for a couple years at least. The S9+ is a beautiful phone, but I've rocked Samsung since the S3, so I'm open to switching it up.

Do a factory reset and see how it goes. Chances are that it will fix or really help with your issues

Reactions: Optimus Reim

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Do a factory reset and see how it goes. Chances are that it will fix or really help with your issues

Tried it previously, unfortunately no help. This is what it looks like currently.

View media item 2521
So confused :laugh: I feel like when these problems arise it would usually point to something specific indicating increase battery usage, but this just leaves me more confused then ever. Was getting almost a full day before the update.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017

I had an S3 and an S6, and I had planned to do the same as you, but the S9 deals at launch were just too good to pass up, so I got the S9+ instead. I don't regret it one bit. It's one hell of a sweet ass phone...

Reactions: tacogeoff

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Anyone see the new Samsung ads that once again give Apple more airtime than Samsung?

Such a bizarre advertising campaign.

No kidding.

I like the double dongle one TBH. I hate using adapters and extra cables, and I've stopped using BT buds with my phone, as I would forget to charge them. (my Sony 1000x's are different, but those are always at work and charging when not in use).

Example, couple weeks ago, another analyst and I had to drive to court, about an hour and half away, and radio sucks outside of Missoula. The person driving has iPhone, I don't. There's a 3.5 mm jack in the dash (along with USB)...long story short, we played music off my phone, because they couldn't get their iPhone to pair, and they didn't have the dongle with them. Supposedly, they had already paired their iPhone with the car, so it should've worked, but it didn't (Ford Sync, which I despise as an infortainment system, but YMMV).

I know Google is going down the same route with the notch and removing the jack (the Pixel 3 XL looks terrible), but removing the jack is one of those solutions looking for a problem. I'm not particularly a fan of USB C either, as it really hasn't caught on for all things, so which requires a different cable or an adapter. When it gets to the point of replacing USB A, fine, but not there yet.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It’s a stranger campaign when you realize that Samsung's sales have been very mediocre lately. You’d think they’d want to hype their own product rather than give Apple free ad space.

Also at least humorous that their ad campaign is about power and the Note 9 was benchmarked below the X on a bunch of tests, lol.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
It’s a stranger campaign when you realize that Samsung's sales have been very mediocre lately. You’d think they’d want to hype their own product rather than give Apple free ad space.

Also at least humorous that their ad campaign is about power and the Note 9 was benchmarked below the X on a bunch of tests, lol.

I was half tempted by the S9 (for whatever reason, I have a 10% coupon at Best Buy), and the coupon would even work on refurbs...really I just want a phone with a good to great camera, otherwise my Moto G5+ has been fabulous for the $200 and change I spent on it this year. Other than games, the SoC is fast enough, and battery life terrific.

I shy away from Sammy, because they don't support and try and be too Applish, but lack the polish.

However, if I'm going to spend iPhone prices, I'm going to get an iPhone. Google still makes the Nexus by any other name, and I prefer stockish Android, but f*** their pricing and their QA/QC. The update situation is still terrible in Android land, and it's pathetic given that the cost is near iPhone, and the specs of SoC are still worse. Camera is towards Google, but that's their software wizardry showing up.

The rumors of the colored iPhones has my interest, especially if the orange color is real.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I was half tempted by the S9 (for whatever reason, I have a 10% coupon at Best Buy), and the coupon would even work on refurbs...really I just want a phone with a good to great camera, otherwise my Moto G5+ has been fabulous for the $200 and change I spent on it this year. Other than games, the SoC is fast enough, and battery life terrific.

I shy away from Sammy, because they don't support and try and be too Applish, but lack the polish.

However, if I'm going to spend iPhone prices, I'm going to get an iPhone. Google still makes the Nexus by any other name, and I prefer stockish Android, but **** their pricing and their QA/QC. The update situation is still terrible in Android land, and it's pathetic given that the cost is near iPhone, and the specs of SoC are still worse. Camera is towards Google, but that's their software wizardry showing up.

The rumors of the colored iPhones has my interest, especially if the orange color is real.

I’ve just never had luck with Samsung other than some of their appliances. Even their TVs never impressed me. I was always a Sony guy with TVs (although now I have a LG OLED).

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
All I know is it runs fine on my OG Pixel. Couple things have moved around under System which I find annoying but otherwise it seems fine. Battery life is the same.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Slight difference in how I have to swipe to navigate, but it'll be fine once the muscle memory changes.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I've seen where this might be the Note's last update. If the 9 doesn't sell well, Samsung will just stick with the Galaxy S+.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I noticed an issue with changing the volume on my Pixel 2. Hitting the volume up and down just adjusts the media volume by default, but not the ringer. It's really annoying to adjust and requires going to multiple screens.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I noticed an issue with changing the volume on my Pixel 2. Hitting the volume up and down just adjusts the media volume by default, but not the ringer. It's really annoying to adjust and requires going to multiple screens.

Yeah that is a common complaint. Apparently they did it this way because people tend to adjust their media volume more than their ringer, so they made media volume the default. For me it doesn't matter as I'm always on vibrate.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Never had that issue with my Nexus' or current Moto G5+. Vol down, ringer down.

But why can't OEMs put a f***ing mute switch on the side...it's one of those things (like a 3.5 mm jack), that should just be ever present.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->