The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
That's good to know, I have the S6 and I love the camera.

The S8 is great but I wish there was a flat screen version and a front finger scanner.
Or a better fingerprint placement on the back

Looking at the V30 and it looks fantastic.

I use the iris scanner on the S8. It works surprisingly well and is fast. There is a downside though and it's that it doesn't work or barely does when outside in broad daylight (work fine at dusk/nighttime though).I use PIN then. But when inside it's pretty good.

And yes the fingerprint scanner placement suck. i used it all the time on my S6 but don't at all on the S8. Not sure what they were thinking but that was a terrible decision on an otherwise great phone design

And yes V30 does look to be a win , more than the G6 is. The Essential phone seem nice as well.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I use the iris scanner on the S8. It works surprisingly well and is fast. There is a downside though and it's that it doesn't work or barely does when outside in broad daylight (work fine at dusk/nighttime though).I use PIN then. But when inside it's pretty good.

And yes the fingerprint scanner placement suck. i used it all the time on my S6 but don't at all on the S8. Not sure what they were thinking but that was a terrible decision on an otherwise great phone design

And yes V30 does look to be a win , more than the G6 is. The Essential phone seem nice as well.

V30 looks amazing, G6 is positioned badly, considering that the s8, pixel, HTC U11, Oneplus 5 all exist. G6 doesn't bring much that's better than anything mentioned.

V30 on the other hand, brings a 6 inch POLED display, f/1.6 aperture, the quad DAC. Really looks to be a competitor against all the other flagships.

Essential phone is cool, build quality and minimalistic design of it appeals to me, BUT they are having major shipping issues and customer support issues. Camera isn't looking very good either. I really wish it had an oled display too. These are complications of being a new company and releasing your first phone of course. I expect their second phone to be a major competitor.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Here comes my 128GB Pixel XL! **** yeah! Can't ****ing wait. It'll be here Monday or Tuesday. Or hopefully luck is on my side and come Saturday :).

That's exciting! Tell us what you think, I really wanted stock Android but the S7 worked out better for me with budget.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Some eyewatering prices for the new Google Products.

Pixel 2 is $749
Pixel XL 2 is $849
Pixelbook is $1749 for the 512GB

Ouch.

Google is just losing the plot for me.

Nexus I was fine with, as while it didn't have all the features of a Samsung, it didn't have a skin, and the prices were generally around $400. (less features, lower prices)

Start charging iPhone prices, and my expectations change, not to mention that Qualcomm's SoC are crap compared to Apple...Apple gives me more years of updates, and they're popular enough that lots of local shops can replace the battery, sell accessories.

Spend $800 or so, and have a phone for 3 years of security updates at best (officially) or spend that much and get 4-5 years of updates.

My 6P will stop getting security updates next year, after that, I'm seriously considering an iPhone, and Google makes all their apps for iOS anyhow.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
i loaded up a custom rom to get nougat 7.0 onto my old ass moto g circa 2013.... works perfect. love the new features. I was on kit kat before. one thing I can't stand from lollipop on is there are no more notifications on the upper left side (aka status bar) in locked mode now. Its either right in front of you or not at all. I did find an app that kinda of does the same thing after tweaking it like all. (nils) first app ive ever bought but worth it.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Some eyewatering prices for the new Google Products.

Pixel 2 is $749
Pixel XL 2 is $849
Pixelbook is $1749 for the 512GB

Ouch.

Yikes. How much higher can prices go before people start opting for mid-range phones instead? It's not like the drop off is that noticeable aside from the body of the phone.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Yikes. How much higher can prices go before people start opting for mid-range phones instead? It's not like the drop off is that noticeable aside from the body of the phone.

because people get high end phones with subsidizing on their contract.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Google is about to buy HTC tomorrow. Kinda sad how such a major player has gone down. Hopefully Google doesn't do the same thing as they did with Motorola just raiding their patents.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with whats the best phone/program for the most instant email updates? I've just switched providers with my girlfriend, we've both moved to a more modern phone & data plan. Basically she's in a field where the first to respond to an email gets the work, and coming from a blackberry which used to have great email services but over the last year or two slowed down updates until it would only sync every 15 minutes.

Her new phone is Samsung Galaxy A570 and I've tested connecting connecting her yahoo email account to the default Samsung email, gmail, and Outlook. Outlook has been the best so far but still takes a few minutes. I have an LG Stylo 3 and notice the LG email can lag anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes behind the outlook account on my PC. I've looked around and seen some sync options, like in gmail, but it had a minimum of 15 minutes which is no good. I would think this is more software than hardware? But if another phone would do it better we still have a little over a week to change.

It's too broad a topic for a google search to help, kind of running blind now so thought I'd ask around for help.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Anyone have any experience with whats the best phone/program for the most instant email updates? I've just switched providers with my girlfriend, we've both moved to a more modern phone & data plan. Basically she's in a field where the first to respond to an email gets the work, and coming from a blackberry which used to have great email services but over the last year or two slowed down updates until it would only sync every 15 minutes.

Her new phone is Samsung Galaxy A570 and I've tested connecting connecting her yahoo email account to the default Samsung email, gmail, and Outlook. Outlook has been the best so far but still takes a few minutes. I have an LG Stylo 3 and notice the LG email can lag anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes behind the outlook account on my PC. I've looked around and seen some sync options, like in gmail, but it had a minimum of 15 minutes which is no good. I would think this is more software than hardware? But if another phone would do it better we still have a little over a week to change.

It's too broad a topic for a google search to help, kind of running blind now so thought I'd ask around for help.

As far as I know, Yahoo and Gmail rely on push not pull, so it doesn't matter about settings when using the native apps at least. I just tried both on my Note 5 and received both I sent within seconds.

It is my experience that Yahoo has the slowest email delivery system overall, so I would not use Yahoo if I were waiting for important email, but that's me. I can send an email to both my gmail and yahoo account at the same time and sometimes the Yahoo email won't come for a couple minutes while I receive it in my Gmail account almost instantly. This is on my laptop where I can force it to check for mail on the server.

However, I just tested sending an email to both my Gmail and Yahoo from Outlook.com and received both almost instantly using their respective apps on my Note 5.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Going to pick up my note 8 in a few! And then I'm going to the jackets game tomorrow against the rangers so I'm hoping to put this camera to the test!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad