The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
So apparently it is rumored that both the Pixel 2 and IPhone 8 will have curved screens like the ones found on the Galaxy Edge series and on the S8.

Am i the only one who doesn't like where this is going ?

I'm due to upgrade in September when my contract expires but now it seems harder and harder to find top of the line phones that are 5.0-5.1 inches and don't have curved screens

This is getting a bit annoying. If it's stay that way my options will be limited as i despise Edge and find 5.5 or more to be too big. The regular Galaxy S7 or the regular Pixel are still an options i guess but....

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
So apparently it is rumored that both the Pixel 2 and IPhone 8 will have curved screens like the ones found on the Galaxy Edge series and on the S8.

Am i the only one who doesn't like where this is going ?

I'm due to upgrade in September when my contract expires but now it seems harder and harder to find top of the line phones that are 5.0-5.1 inches and don't have curved screens

This is getting a bit annoying. If it's stay that way my options will be limited as i despise Edge and find 5.5 or more to be too big. The regular Galaxy S7 or the regular Pixel are still an options i guess but....

I strongly doubt Apple will go with the curved screens.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
i dont know if I like my g5

Don't know if it the network or the phone but I get alot of missed texts and call reception not the greatest.

Plus for some reason the keyboard is always french now and spellcheck is awful.

Shame as I just got it but will probably switch to something else soon

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I strongly doubt Apple will go with the curved screens.

Yup. I can see an edge-to-edge screen and smaller vertical bezels, but not a curved display. Need some market differentiation.

Just spent more time with the S8 and S8+ though, and they're feeling and looking positively space-age futuristic compared to the 7/7+. So fresh and so clean.

Like others I wish that phone design was headed towards just being shorter and thinner, but it's shorter, thinner, and narrower that sells the phone to people with smaller hands.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I've noticed on a few games I get really really choppy sound on my S8. Is this a game issue or a phone issue?

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I handled the BlackBerry KEYone in a Rogers store today. It's quite nice. The Keyboard is good but not as good as the keyboard on the BlackBerry Passport or the Bold 9900. It's about even with the keyboard on the BlackBerry Q10.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The problem with "high-end" Android, is that you still end up about the same place as low-end Android, either no/little OS/security updates, at best you max out to 2 or 3 years, thanks to Qualcomm, or you hope that the phone is popular enough, and has an unlocked bootloader for the ROM community to take interest.

The price wouldn't be bad, if Google had the amount of official OS support that Apple offers, because I could personally amortize a $750 phone over 4-5 years, I can't do that over 2, would just get an iPhone.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A year in and I must say I'm still very impressed with my Galaxy S7. Very content to see it through the two year contract and wait to see what Samsung and Google are doing come Fall 2018.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
A year in and I must say I'm still very impressed with my Galaxy S7. Very content to see it through the two year contract and wait to see what Samsung and Google are doing come Fall 2018.

Still rocking the S6, not bad with Nougat and still a great camera phone.

I miss the water resistance from my S5 (gave it to pops) but the S7 and S8 don't have IR blaster (underrated feature)

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I have an S6 and my girlfriend has the S7, and there really doesn't seem to be that drastic of a difference between the two. The S7 is a bit thicker which gives it space for a bigger battery and no camera bump, but everything else seems nearly identical.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I recently started getting into launchers I tried a bunch of them, I bit and bought Nova Laucher pretty cool stuff. You can really customize things to your liking the gestures really come in handy with the swipes. Evie Launcher is pretty good but nothing has come close to Nova. What's everyone's go to launcher?

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I used Nova Launcher for years, and really liked it. I haven't customized a whole lot on my Pixel since getting it in November, though. I've pretty much just kept it as simple as possible with the stock launcher.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Anyone else using Tasker?

In theory, it seems like a cool app, but it doesn't really seem to work reliably for me, like I have multiple Bluetooth events set up, depending on if I'm connected to my car, headphone, earbuds to set output to different volumes, and it worked initially, and then now it doesn't, so it's annoying to get into my car, and have to jack the volume up manually, and then be blasted when I connect to my earbuds.

I can do that manually, but that defeats the point of an automation app if it's broken. I can also manually play the tasks, and they work, but again, what's the point?

Frustrating.

Only thing I can think of that's changed recently are the latest Android patches braking something, but it's just the June security patches.

Nexus 6P with 7.1.2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad