The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Playing around with an S8 today, the theme packs customize everything on the phone, including the menu. There was an all-black selection with just hints of white. The most elegant theme I've ever seen. Made me want to buy the phone right then and there.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Wanted to upgrade from my S6 to either the S7 or S8 but i'm gonna wait for the Pixel 2 announcement. If the rumored specs are true it's gonna destroy everything else on the market.

Wasn't a fan of the first one at first because i didn't think the high price was justified (1080p screen , lack of IOS , no waterproofing etc) but my friend bought one and i played with it for a while. By far the most fluid android experience out there. Touchwiz feel like crap compared to the Pîxel UI

Pixel 2 is supposed to have top of the line specs that rival the S8 and the other high end android phones. Dual cameras , IP67 or 68 certification , Ultra HD AMOLED screen , Snapdragon 835 etc. If that's the case it's very likely going to be my next phone.

Jori

I recently started getting into launchers I tried a bunch of them, I bit and bought Nova Laucher pretty cool stuff. You can really customize things to your liking the gestures really come in handy with the swipes. Evie Launcher is pretty good but nothing has come close to Nova. What's everyone's go to launcher?

I go back and forth between Nova and Action Launcher.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Playing around with an S8 today, the theme packs customize everything on the phone, including the menu. There was an all-black selection with just hints of white. The most elegant theme I've ever seen. Made me want to buy the phone right then and there.
Yup loving the theme engine on my S6.
I have dark and black material themes, but I recently installed a theme called "Tree", very tropical with its gradient turquoise / blue background in the menu/phone etc.... the wallpaper from that theme is **** though, but that's easy to change

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Nova now has Google Now left swipe integration :

* Android 6.0 and up * Need the latest beta of Nova Launcher * Need a companion app, not available in the Play Store (if you want an explanation, read the article) - [here's said app](http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/teslac...va-google-companion-1-0-android-apk-download/) It will detect the companion app automatically and voilà EDIT: Looks like it doesn't play nice with 'infinite scroll', so make sure you got that disabled.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Wanted to upgrade from my S6 to either the S7 or S8 but i'm gonna wait for the Pixel 2 announcement. If the rumored specs are true it's gonna destroy everything else on the market.

Wasn't a fan of the first one at first because i didn't think the high price was justified (1080p screen , lack of IOS , no waterproofing etc) but my friend bought one and i played with it for a while. By far the most fluid android experience out there. Touchwiz feel like crap compared to the Pîxel UI

Pixel 2 is supposed to have top of the line specs that rival the S8 and the other high end android phones. Dual cameras , IP67 or 68 certification , Ultra HD AMOLED screen , Snapdragon 835 etc. If that's the case it's very likely going to be my next phone.

I really like my S7 from last year except a few months after I got it I completely shattered the back in an electric skateboard fall.

My perfect phone would be something like it, a tad smaller and more robust in terms of wear.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Android O on the horizon.

Also, how did this thread go two months without a post??

No new phones, no new compelling features.

It what happens IMO, when platforms become largely stagnant and mature. The last thing that I've added to my phone, and felt impressed, was a hack that added the zero shutter lag feature from the Pixel to my 6P.

People are likely just waiting on what the Note 8 and iPhone 8 bring to the table. Although personally, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about phones that are edging towards $1000, I didn't spend that much on my last laptop.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My battery life sucks so much ass now for the 6P. Especially noticeable when you go to a con for the weekend. I really need the Pixel 2 XL in my life.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
With it believed Apple is using facial rec. instead of TouchID, Qualcomm is stating that they will put the same/better tech in their new chips for Android phones.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
My battery life sucks so much ass now for the 6P. Especially noticeable when you go to a con for the weekend. I really need the Pixel 2 XL in my life.

Is it dying all of the sudden? Mine would die while showing 10 - 30% battery remaining. I contacted Google and got a full refund even though it was out of warranty.

I'm using an Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom now and I really like it. Incredible battery and no problems with ZenUI after updating to 7.1.1.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Mine will die anywhere between 25 and 40 percent. I'm still using it because I don't feel like ****ing with anything and I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 XL. It's been pretty ****ing bad lately. I still have the Nexus Protect on it but meh.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This is what my Nexus 6P just did while playing a game (it shut off).

kHSFDu5.jpg

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Battery on my S6 is still decent even after 2 years of heavy use. Battery life is average to begin with but i haven't noticed any drop like my phone shutting down with 40% left or stuff like that.

I used the 40-80 charging rule from the start and it may have helped somewhat. That said i can't wait to get a phone with a 3000mah+ minimum battery. I'm due for that

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Note 8 @ $1300 in Canada. Oof. Time to start looking at mid-range phones, I guess.

I wonder what the pixel 2 xl will go for ? With the rumors if it havinh an almost bezeless design like the S8 , a 6" AMOLED screen , IP68 certified , improved camera with OIS etc i could see it go for 1000$ + as well considering the price of the original pixel. Iphone 8 is rumored to be in the 1200$ range as well

This is getting a bit ridiculous

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Seriously, these prices are getting out of hand. You could buy flagship phones outright for like have that price 5 years ago.

Note 7 was only $1000 last year, S8+ was $1100 this spring. :shakehead

$300 in one year. Just pathetic.
Three years ago the Note 4 released for $800 new.

I'm going to stick to the used market from now on. People should look at putting less importance on their phones anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad