The Official 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame thread with poll (no one elected)

Who Should Get in the 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame?

• Curt Schilling

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Roger Clemens

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Barry Bonds

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Omar Vizquel

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Scott Rolen

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Billy Wagner

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Gary Sheffield

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Todd Helton

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Manny Ramirez

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Jeff Kent

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Andruw Jones

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Aramis Ramirez

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh no, Blitzkrug on a hockey forum doesn’t take my opinion seriously.

So do you think that the writers association should retroactively remove all the pill popping, woman beating, racist members on the KKK that are currently in the HOF? Or do they get a pass because they did all of that stuff before you were born?

We’re talking about the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME. They should be judged on their achievements of playing BASEBALL.

I don’t agree with the shit Schilling says but apparently you know what type of a person I am because I think that players should be assessed on their ability to play baseball rather than their opinions outside of the spot.

Get off your high horse

You seem mad.

Reactions: PBandJ

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
schilling isn't being "canceled." you don't get to call for journalists to be murdered and support overthrowing the govt without consequence

call it whatever you want. My point is that if you have a vote for the HOF and don’t vote for someone because of their opinions/thoughts outside of baseball then you shouldn’t have a vote anymore. You’re there to judge a player on their baseball achievements.

I really couldn’t care less, I just think it’s funny considering how many shitty people are in the HOF

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The writers gladly inducted a ton of poor character people, many who were probably worse people than Schilling but in this day and age they suddenly have morals.

Whatever. Its a joke a bunch of journalists get to decide who gets in and who doesn't. Should have guys that actually played and worked in the game do it.

Reactions: BryceHarper

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The writers gladly inducted a ton of poor character people, many who were probably worse people than Schilling but in this day and age they suddenly have morals.

Whatever. Its a joke a bunch of journalists get to decide who gets in and who doesn't. Should have guys that actually played and worked in the game do it.

That's what the Veterans Committee does, and has given us luminaries like Harold Baines and Chick Hafey. The Frankie Frisch Superfriends era inducted probably half of the worst choices all by themselves.

The reason the BBWAA has the vote is because the Hall of Fame was designed to be a tourist trap and the actual election process was an afterthought. The BBWAA was at the time the only organized body of professional baseball experts in the world - there were no baseball historians, there was no player's union, there wasn't even a statistical guide that voters could easily access.

Simply giving the vote to "the players" probably would have ended up with really bizarre choices like Hal Chase or Fred Merkle in the Hall, because, quite frankly, the players don't really have a better handle on who is actually great and who isn't than the writers do (which I think the VC selections have shown).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That's what the Veterans Committee does, and has given us luminaries like Harold Baines and Chick Hafey. The Frankie Frisch Superfriends era inducted probably half of the worst choices all by themselves.

The reason the BBWAA has the vote is because the Hall of Fame was designed to be a tourist trap and the actual election process was an afterthought. The BBWAA was at the time the only organized body of professional baseball experts in the world - there were no baseball historians, there was no player's union, there wasn't even a statistical guide that voters could easily access.

Simply giving the vote to "the players" probably would have ended up with really bizarre choices like Hal Chase or Fred Merkle in the Hall, because, quite frankly, the players don't really have a better handle on who is actually great and who isn't than the writers do (which I think the VC selections have shown).
i had no idea who chick hafey was before this post so i looked him up and.....yikes

that might be an even worse induction than baines and morris

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
i had no idea who chick hafey was before this post so i looked him up and.....yikes

that might be an even worse induction than baines and morris

Dave Bancroft, Chief Bender, Jim Bottomley, Earle Combs, Kiki Cuyler, Rick Ferrell, Elmer Flick, Nellie Fox, Lefty Gomez, Burleigh Grimes, Chick Hafey, Jesse Haines, Harry Hooper, Waite Hoyt, Travis Jackson, Addie Joss, George Kell, High Pockets Kelly, Chuck Klein, Tony Lazzeri, Heinie Manush, Rube Marquard, Bill Mazeroski, Sam Rice, Eppa Rixey, Edd Roush, Ray Schalk, Lloyd Waner, Hack Wilson, Ross Youngs.

The Veteran's Committee has never been a strong committee when it comes to elections. Nepotism is rife within the committee (partially because the committee is selected - at least with the BBWAA you must have been hired by a journalistic enterprise and subsequently held membership for ten years, though writers who stopped following baseball kept the vote for many years until a recent rules change and many baseball experts were denied membership for years, like John Thorn or Bill James), leading to the Frankie Frisch Superfriends committee era, or the Baines selection.

The Committee does a valuable service in picking players who were wrongfully ignored, like Johnny Mize or George Davis (the best shortstop in the game's history prior to the emergence of Honus Wagner, but who became so obscure after his retirement that the baseball world didn't find out that Davis had died until twenty years after the fact, thanks to dogged investigation by Lee Allen, historian at the NBHOF). It also picks some obviously unqualified candidates. The fact that the BBWAA voters have often ignored players, sometimes because of a lack of information (particularly in the early years), unclear rules of eligibility, or the character clause (which is probably what kept Dick Allen out of the Hall, where "character" in this case was simply an excuse to further the racist treatment Allen had received during his playing career), necessitates some sort of "back door" to bring in people who deserve a plaque (as well as a method to elect non-players who are currently ineligible for the BBWAA ballot). However, there is no right answer for how that back door should be designed, unless you farm out the qualifications of selecting the voters to some other body (perhaps give the job to SABR, somehow, rather than a group selected by the NBHOF itself).

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
call it whatever you want. My point is that if you have a vote for the HOF and don’t vote for someone because of their opinions/thoughts outside of baseball then you shouldn’t have a vote anymore. You’re there to judge a player on their baseball achievements.

I really couldn’t care less, I just think it’s funny considering how many shitty people are in the HOF
Sounds like you are trying cancel their freedom of opinion.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Schilling's twitter shouldn't keep him out of the hall of fame, but it seems to be, it's not the hall of morality, but he also isn't doing himself any favors. I bet his % actually goes down next year if they do keep him on the ballot. And unless a bunch of people were holding off til the final year out of spite, Bonds and Clemens won't get in either. Which will officially make the HoF illegitimate in my book. Keeping a Top 3 position player and top 5 pitcher of all time out of there is a complete and utter joke, even if steroids were magic pills. Especially when they were using them at a time nearly everyone else was and the writers/owners/league all looked the other way. The fact that Selig, who allowed it all is in, makes it even more laughable.

Another couple light ballots coming up too. Unless Rolen/Wagner/Helton keep trending up we might not have someone elected til 2024 or longer.

Next year is Rodriguez, who will get the Bonds and Clemens treatment and Ortiz, who also won't get in next year because he's not "first ballot" but eventually will because the 2003 test will be ignored by the hypocrite writers who vilify others for it because he's "Big Papi!". Guys like Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeira and Prince Fielder may be the Buerhle/Hunter of this year just doing enough to stay on the ballot.

In 2023, literally all you have is Carlos Beltran, who should get in eventually, but I doubt it in year one. No one else is even worth a vote.
In 2024 the only sure thing is Adrian Beltre, but he won't get in right away either cause of the first ballot nonsense. Chase Utley and Joe Mauer also become eligible that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
IMO, if Beltran is worthy of induction, I think Abreu is too...

Yeah, Beltran has the higher career WAR because he was a CF, but Abreu was the better offensive player

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

That actually isn't how voters are instructed to determine who belongs in the Hall of Fame.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

I agree character clause is worthless.

But I also can't be mad at baseball writers for not wanting to vote for someone who advocates for killing journalists.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMO, if Beltran is worthy of induction, I think Abreu is too...

Yeah, Beltran has the higher career WAR because he was a CF, but Abreu was the better offensive player

Abreu will be hampered by the "late start" to his career. Not his fault he was born in a Communist regime that had 0 desire for him to play professional baseball but the lack of high career stats will hurt.

Beltran also had at least 4 fWAR every healthy season rom 1999 to 2011 so he was pretty consistent. & he obviously has fantastic playoff stats which will 100% push him over the edge into the hall IMO.

Reactions: TonyDeAngelo

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Abreu will be hampered by the "late start" to his career. Not his fault he was born in a Communist regime that had 0 desire for him to play professional baseball but the lack of high career stats will hurt.

Beltran also had at least 4 fWAR every healthy season rom 1999 to 2011 so he was pretty consistent. & he obviously has fantastic playoff stats which will 100% push him over the edge into the hall IMO.

Abreu was in the big leagues at 22... that's not really a "late start"

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
No way was Abreu a HOF caliber player. Grew up watching him and no point did I think I was watching someone who belongs in Cooperstown. Very good player , somehow won a gold glove though :laugh:.

Reactions: Voight

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm as liberal as it gets...but I think Schilling should make it. If you have Ty f***ing Cobb in the Hall...well, it's hard to get worse.

Also, Shoeless Joe Jackson needs to be in the Hall. I'm sorry, but if we're electing Bonds and Clemens, Shoeless Joe needs to be elected.

Reactions: BryceHarper

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
No way was Abreu a HOF caliber player. Grew up watching him and no point did I think I was watching someone who belongs in Cooperstown. Very good player , somehow won a gold glove though :laugh:.

Higher career WAR than Guerrero...

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Higher career WAR than Guerrero...
Not by much, in 1000 more plate appearances. Vlad was clearly better to me. Beltran, Edmonds, and Andruw Jones are 3 outfielders from that time that should get in over Abreu. Edmonds is already off the ballot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad