The Official 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame thread with poll (no one elected)

Who Should Get in the 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame?

• Curt Schilling

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Roger Clemens

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Barry Bonds

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Omar Vizquel

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Scott Rolen

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Billy Wagner

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Gary Sheffield

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Todd Helton

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Manny Ramirez

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Jeff Kent

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Andruw Jones

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Aramis Ramirez

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Growing up as a little kid pre 2001, the Phillies were dreadful. Rolen and Schilling were on the team and my favorite players. There was quote by Jim Fregosi along the lines of "every fifth day Curt is a horse, the other four days he is a horses ass". I have not problem with him never get in, I dont care about whataboutism either. Times have changed, he is an embarrassment. Rolen should get in though, as should Bonds and Clemens (even though I cant stand him either).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
What exactly did Schilling do to warrant such disdain?
it really just depends if you agree with his politics or not. if you agree with them, then you most likely won't understand

but he's been a grade A a**hole going back to his playing days, which also doesn't help his case with the writers. same with bonds/clemens

Reactions: Voight

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Jack Morris(who has already been shitted on in this thread, despite him rightfully belonging as a HOF to the dismay of many) was a well known asshole towards the media as well.

Morris just never had the baggage of Bonds and Clemens, nor went off the rails of reality like Schilling. After the crap Schilling was spewing a few weeks ago, I'm astonished he got as many votes as he did.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Schilling has publicly stated to wanting some journalists lynched. Much less other outlandish things(See: tweets regarding the Capital invasion). Much less the Muslim stuff.

It's simply more than "I don't agree with his politics".

Schilling's failure to be elected is a consequence of his behavior (including the 38 Studios debacle). It has nothing to do with the content of his behavior.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Jack Morris(who has already been shitted on in this thread, despite him rightfully belonging as a HOF to the dismay of many) was a well known asshole towards the media as well.

Morris just never had the baggage of Bonds and Clemens, nor went off the rails of reality like Schilling. After the crap Schilling was spewing a few weeks ago, I'm astonished he got as many votes as he did.
morris literally got in because of one game and for pitching a ton of innings. don't see how he belongs in any way

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Shlling is a little bitter. HE has now asked for his name to be removed from next years consideration. While he is being hurt by his off field comments and actions. Bonds and the Jucing prioblem is his

As for Clemens? Obviously we now know he juiced but I think some baseball reporters still have a problem with his relationship with late country singer Mindy Mcready. Her age and his age at the time of it and how far down the rabbit hole she fell left a bad taste in some peoples months and his comments on the subject also rubbed the more conservative people the wrong way. Obviously, I can not go into detail as this is a family friendly board

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Schilling has publicly stated to wanting some journalists lynched. Much less other outlandish things(See: tweets regarding the Capital invasion). Much less the Muslim stuff.

It's simply more than "I don't agree with his politics".

That should not affect his HHOF candidacy. He had a Cooperstown worthy career, his comments in retirement and political views shouldn't affect him in regards to this. Such is the world we live in now.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That should not affect his HHOF candidacy. He had a Cooperstown worthy career, his comments in retirement and political views shouldn't affect him in regards to this. Such is the world we live in now.

The fact that his non-sense can be considered a "political view" and not just plain paranoia is, in itself, a big societal problem.

That guy does not belong in the hall of fame and should not be given a platform to spew his hate and conspiracy theories.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The fact that his non-sense can be considered a "political view" and not just plain paranoia is, in itself, a big societal problem.

That guy does not belong in the hall of fame and should not be given a platform to spew his hate and conspiracy theories.

He clearly had a hall of fame worthy career. His views and comments should not effect that.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He clearly had a hall of fame worthy career. His views and comments should not effect that.

Yes, they should.

The HOF is not just about your playing abilities (although it mainly is), it is also about your contribution to the game of baseball.

His "views" and how vocal he is about them are detrimental to the sport. He should not be honored for being a shitty ambassador.

To be clear, I do not think him being a conspiracy theorist affects the MLB's bottom line. However, he is closely associated with baseball and him being paranoid about the Deep State and other stupid stuff makes the conversation about "former baseball player Curt Schilling"... you do not want to taint your HOF by having the conversation be "baseball hall of famer Curt Schilling thinks some elected officials should be hanged".

Never forget that a HOF is not strictly about honoring the game, it is mostly a business and a way to sell the game. It is marketing. Associating yourself with Curt Schilling is bad marketing. His "brand" is toxic.

And, once again, I must repeat, your euphemism about "political views" pushes the real issue aside. Nobody would be blaming Schilling if he was a normal conservative. He is being being vilified for spreading conspiracy theories and advocating some people being killed. He is a nut-job. He does not deserve publicity and acknowledgement. As a public figure, as a representative of baseball, he has a social responsibility; he is clearly failing BADLY at that. If you think his views are acceptable in a civilized society and that we should accept spreading hate/lies/conspiracy theories, well, that's another debate and we are not allowed to have it here (another debate we are unfortunately not allowed to have is how some people misinterpret the first amendment/freedom of speach in order to spew their bs).

Is Curt Schilling a HOF-caliber pitcher, yes. Should he be in the HOF, no.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
He’s a Hall of Famer. Don’t like him, don’t care about him, but I’m not going to be as classless as him and dismiss his skills and career as a ball player. There’s worse people in the Hall of Fame anyways.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, they should.

The HOF is not just about your playing abilities (although it mainly is), it is also about your contribution to the game of baseball.

His "views" and how vocal he is about them are detrimental to the sport. He should not be honored for being a shitty ambassador.

To be clear, I do not think him being a conspiracy theorist affects the MLB's bottom line. However, he is closely associated with baseball and him being paranoid about the Deep State and other stupid stuff makes the conversation about "former baseball player Curt Schilling"... you do not want to taint your HOF by having the conversation be "baseball hall of famer Curt Schilling thinks some elected officials should be hanged".

Never forget that a HOF is not strictly about honoring the game, it is mostly a business and a way to sell the game. It is marketing. Associating yourself with Curt Schilling is bad marketing. His "brand" is toxic.

And, once again, I must repeat, your euphemism about "political views" pushes the real issue aside. Nobody would be blaming Schilling if he was a normal conservative. He is being being vilified for spreading conspiracy theories and advocating some people being killed. He is a nut-job. He does not deserve publicity and acknowledgement. As a public figure, as a representative of baseball, he has a social responsibility; he is clearly failing BADLY at that. If you think his views are acceptable in a civilized society and that we should accept spreading hate/lies/conspiracy theories, well, that's another debate and we are not allowed to have it here (another debate we are unfortunately not allowed to have is how some people misinterpret the first amendment/freedom of speach in order to spew their bs).

that’s a lot of words to say you don’t like the guy.

maybe we should rename it “The Baseball Players Who Are Also Nice Guys Hall of Fame”

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

maybe we should rename it “The Baseball Players Who Are Also Nice Guys Hall of Fame”

That's not what it is about, but, if it is how you see it, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For example, I agree with most of what Colin Kaepernick stands for, but I clearly understand why no NFL team will take the chance to hire a mediocre/bad QB who comes with a lot of distractions. He decided to be a social/political activist and he was not good enough of a player not to suffer the consequences.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Not voting for someone based on their politics for a hall of fame for a sport is... interesting to say the list. Anyone who admits to that should have their vote taken away

Not only do I think Shi not voting based on Schilling's political views is ridiculous, the fact that he had him on his ballot previously but not this year because of it astounds me. It's one thing to not vote for a guy previously then vote for him in subsequent years. But to go the opposite way? Sorry...if he was a hall of famer for you last year, he should be one this year as well. Political views be damned.

Hall of Fame voting has strayed too far away from the actual premise of it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yes, they should.

if schilling is voted in, then so be it. he had a HOF career and deserves to get in based solely off that

but if he doesn't, i won't be mad about it one bit like i am about bonds/clemens still not being in. he's only got himself to blame for that. at the very least, i would hope that bonds/clemens get in before he does. make his ass wait as long as possible if you're eventually going to induct him

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes, they should.

Do people watch less baseball because of him? No. Some people might be up in arms if he had been voted into Cooperstown but that outrage would've barely made the news and been forgotten about the next day. His views can be out of whack at times but that should not prevent him from being in the hall. Gary Player was pro-Apartheid and that didn't stop him from receiving much deserved recognition.

I guess they should remove every former player, coach and executive who didn't want Negro League players in the MLB.

That's not what it is about, but, if it is how you see it, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For example, I agree with most of what Colin Kaepernick stands for, but I clearly understand why no NFL team will take the chance to hire a mediocre/bad QB who comes with a lot of distractions. He decided to be a social/political activist and he was not good enough of a player not to suffer the consequences.

In Kaep's case they could actually lose money, as there were major threats. Whether that is in fact farce or not is a different story but the hall does not stand to lose anything by inducting Schilling. The media attention around a team signing Kapernick would have been waaaay bigger than Schilling getting into the hall. A much bigger distraction.

Anyhow this year proves yet again, that having a writers vote guys in is just dumb. Should be like the HHOF where you have a committee of former players, coaches, GMs etc.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Or maybe you shouldn't give a pass to dispicable human beings. A couple people's opinions on here have revealed more that they intended and now I know not to take either of you seriously

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Or maybe you shouldn't give a pass to dispicable human beings. A couple people's opinions on here have revealed more that they intended and now I know not to take either of you seriously

Oh no, Blitzkrug on a hockey forum doesn’t take my opinion seriously.

So do you think that the writers association should retroactively remove all the pill popping, woman beating, racist members on the KKK that are currently in the HOF? Or do they get a pass because they did all of that stuff before you were born?

We’re talking about the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME. They should be judged on their achievements of playing BASEBALL.

I don’t agree with the shit Schilling says but apparently you know what type of a person I am because I think that players should be assessed on their ability to play baseball rather than their opinions outside of the spot.

Get off your high horse

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Oh no, Blitzkrug on a hockey forum doesn’t take my opinion seriously.

So do you think that the writers association should retroactively remove all the pill popping, woman beating, racist members on the KKK that are currently in the HOF? Or do they get a pass because they did all of that stuff before you were born?

We’re talking about the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME. They should be judged on their achievements of playing BASEBALL.

I don’t agree with the shit Schilling says but apparently you know what type of a person I am because I think that players should be assessed on their ability to play baseball rather than their opinions outside of the spot.

Get off your high horse
ehh

just because there are other despicable humans in the HOF doesn't mean they should have to induct schilling. i think he should get in, but if the HOF wants nothing to do with the absolute toxicity that surrounds him, i won't blame them

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad