The Official 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame thread with poll (no one elected)

Who Should Get in the 2021 Baseball Hall of Fame?

• Curt Schilling

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Roger Clemens

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Barry Bonds

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Omar Vizquel

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Scott Rolen

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Billy Wagner

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Gary Sheffield

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Todd Helton

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Manny Ramirez

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Jeff Kent

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Andruw Jones

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Aramis Ramirez

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Not by much, in 1000 more plate appearances. Vlad was clearly better to me. Beltran, Edmonds, and Andruw Jones are 3 outfielders from that time that should get in over Abreu. Edmonds is already off the ballot.

Guerrero from 22 - 35, posted a 59.3 WAR over those 14 seasons

Abreu from 24 - 37, posted a 60.8 WAR over those 14 season

Yes, Abreu had more plate appearances, but I'm not sure the difference between them is sufficient enough to warrant one being inducted but not the other...

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Guerrero from 22 - 35, posted a 59.3 WAR over those 14 seasons

Abreu from 24 - 37, posted a 60.8 WAR over those 14 season

Yes, Abreu had more plate appearances, but I'm not sure the difference between them is sufficient enough to warrant one being inducted but not the other...
And the other two in Jones and Edmonds? Were they not better players than Abreu to you?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
And the other two in Jones and Edmonds? Were they not better players than Abreu to you?

Without looking at the numbers, I'm guessing they both peaked higher than Abreu if you were to compare their best seasons... but Abreu's prime is likely similar

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the BBWA are correct to keep Schilling out now for his awful viewpoints, but the funny thing is that as an 80 WAR starter he should have been inducted in 2013 or 2014, years before most of of those awful viewpoints became public. Instead they were voting for Trevor Hoffman.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Without looking at the numbers, I'm guessing they both peaked higher than Abreu if you were to compare their best seasons... but Abreu's prime is likely similar

Jones had the better peak for sure. His career is a tale of two players. The first half he was a rocketship and then fell off a cliff. Edmonds is more like Abreu but I’d say he was better even longer and had all world defence at a premium OF position. Him and Kenny Lofton are probably two of the most underrated under appreciated players and they should both be in the Hall. Abreu is a no from me but he’s super close and I wouldn’t be mad if he was in.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

TonyDeAngelo

Aug 31, 2019
South Jersey
That's what the Veterans Committee does, and has given us luminaries like Harold Baines and Chick Hafey. The Frankie Frisch Superfriends era inducted probably half of the worst choices all by themselves.

The reason the BBWAA has the vote is because the Hall of Fame was designed to be a tourist trap and the actual election process was an afterthought. The BBWAA was at the time the only organized body of professional baseball experts in the world - there were no baseball historians, there was no player's union, there wasn't even a statistical guide that voters could easily access.

Simply giving the vote to "the players" probably would have ended up with really bizarre choices like Hal Chase or Fred Merkle in the Hall, because, quite frankly, the players don't really have a better handle on who is actually great and who isn't than the writers do (which I think the VC selections have shown).

Hopefully, they enshrine Dick Allen & Curt Schilling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad