The Official 2016 Summer Olympics Thread

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Should I even bother watching today? The German national team has won like one semi-final since I'm born :laugh:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Unfortunate to see that Canada isn't going for gold.

However, would love them to take it to an obviously demoralized Brazil and give Marta a nice "sending off".

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Brazil-Germany final it is. Haven't paid close attention to the knockout rounds of this tournament apart from Germany but I'm expecting an up-and-down match that shows off the attacking talent of both teams.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Brazil-Germany final it is. Haven't paid close attention to the knockout rounds of this tournament apart from Germany but I'm expecting an up-and-down match that shows off the attacking talent of both teams.

Brazil hasn't conceded one single goal though and I'd say they've been quite organised and disciplined at the back.

Both teams should have their fair share of chances in the final, but I'm still expecting 1-0 either way, or maybe 2-0 if the other team is chasing an equalizer later on. I can't see scoreline being more than 2-1.

I was hoping for this final, as these are the two teams with most individual talent. Fortunately they've gotten better as a team after their early troubles in the group stages and are now the best two teams as well.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Hopefully Germany can make amends for letting up in the World Cup and reach double figures this time.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Germany has the advantage that for them making the Final with a guaranteed Silver medal is already a huge success and more than anyone really expected. There's very little pressure on them but of course plenty of desire as winning Olympic gold is a unique achievement for any athlete.

Meanwhile for Brazil they basically *have* to win. It's like 2014 World Cup again except perhaps worse precisely because of the 2014 World Cup outcome. These are obviously not the same teams but there's a reason the Brazilians preferred sending Neymar to this tournament rather than the Copa. They will be expected to take revenge for the 7-1 and their easy win over Honduras will put them in a place where a win is not hoped for but absolutely expected.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Germany has the advantage that for them making the Final with a guaranteed Silver medal is already a huge success and more than anyone really expected. There's very little pressure on them but of course plenty of desire as winning Olympic gold is a unique achievement for any athlete.

Meanwhile for Brazil they basically *have* to win. It's like 2014 World Cup again except perhaps worse precisely because of the 2014 World Cup outcome. These are obviously not the same teams but there's a reason the Brazilians preferred sending Neymar to this tournament rather than the Copa. They will be expected to take revenge for the 7-1 and their easy win over Honduras will put them in a place where a win is not hoped for but absolutely expected.

No one expected Germany to reach the final? :huh:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No one expected Germany to reach the final? :huh:

Obviously, I am sure some people had such expectation but this isn't comparable at all to a Euro or World Cup where success *is* expected as a must and when people downplay the chances it's just fear of disappointment and dislike of the coach.

The squad had no actual preparation together, they only met a few days before leaving for Rio. Not all eligible players were allowed to go. It's also pre-season time and the Olympics are given extremely low priority by the clubs and fans. Those factors don't generally point toward a great tournament.

And I don't think much has been made of it either. Kicker hasn't really devoted much space to it, probably no more than a U20 or U19 tournament. It doesn't dominate the Olympics coverage by any means either. I'd say there's probably been more talk about the Bayern-Dortmund Super Cup than this tournament though the Final will obviously get some hype.

It's probably also because there's no history of (West) German success in the Olympic football tournament. People just don't really think or care about it normally, so yeah that's why there was little pressure or expectation. It's not because the team is bad on paper or something, it's because it's Olympic football and that's not really a big deal for Germany.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Obviously, I am sure some people had such expectation but this isn't comparable at all to a Euro or World Cup where success *is* expected as a must and when people downplay the chances it's just fear of disappointment and dislike of the coach.

The squad had no actual preparation together, they only met a few days before leaving for Rio. Not all eligible players were allowed to go. It's also pre-season time and the Olympics are given extremely low priority by the clubs and fans. Those factors don't generally point toward a great tournament.

And I don't think much has been made of it either. Kicker hasn't really devoted much space to it, probably no more than a U20 or U19 tournament. It doesn't dominate the Olympics coverage by any means either. I'd say there's probably been more talk about the Bayern-Dortmund Super Cup than this tournament though the Final will obviously get some hype.

It's probably also because there's no history of (West) German success in the Olympic football tournament. People just don't really think or care about it normally, so yeah that's why there was little pressure or expectation. It's not because the team is bad on paper or something, it's because it's Olympic football and that's not really a big deal for Germany.

Ok sure there wasn't much public pressure or team preparation. I still thought that they had one of the better squads in the tournament, and I don't know if the other teams spent a ton of time preparing either.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Ok sure there wasn't much public pressure or team preparation. I still thought that they had one of the better squads in the tournament, and I don't know if the other teams spent a ton of time preparing either.

I do think the squad is actually quite good and I thought that when I first saw them play and I made an effort to watch all their games. But that's usually the best setup for a good outcome, a talented team but not a lot of pressure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Saturday goes well for our boys & girls, we're gunna need to find out how they say "football's coming home" in Brazil :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad