The Official 2016 Summer Olympics Thread

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Crossbar is not Germany's friend so far. Three times we hit it, Neymar' free kick also and his shot goes in. No luck so far, looks like the soccer god wants to do Brazil a favour :)

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Great game so far, both teams with numerous chances.

Brazil doing everything but score in the second half.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Well, with that win the Olympics was a success for Brazil, they didn't care that much for anything else, at least based on attendances.

Of course ticket prices had something to do with it. While rest of the world might remember these Olympics for Usain Bolt, Brazil will remember them for the football gold they finally won on their fourth final.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well, with that win the Olympics was a success for Brazil, they didn't care that much for anything else, at least based on attendances.

Of course ticket prices had something to do with it. While rest of the world might remember these Olympics for Usain Bolt, Brazil will remember them for the football gold they finally won on their fourth final.

Yep. With all the negativity surrounding the Olympics at least Brazilians have that to fondly look back upon.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Pretty mediocre match. Looked like Germany wanted to sit back but had no idea how to move the ball smartly and fluidly on the counter. So many bad touches and players holding onto the ball for too long; most of them looked like playground kids not professional footballers. Brandt was soooo bad after the first ten minutes. As was Gnabry. Actually I'm not sure I'd say any of them had a good match apart from maybe Süle. A lot of the responsibility for that lies with Hrubesch for not preparing the players better for a change in style and a different opponent. I thought Brazil was generally the better team in regular time, but they weren't especially good either. I was kind of hoping it would end one way or the other after 90 minutes.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Pretty mediocre match. Looked like Germany wanted to sit back but had no idea how to move the ball smartly and fluidly on the counter. So many bad touches and players holding onto the ball for too long; most of them looked like playground kids not professional footballers. Brandt was soooo bad after the first ten minutes. As was Gnabry. Actually I'm not sure I'd say any of them had a good match apart from maybe Süle. A lot of the responsibility for that lies with Hrubesch for not preparing the players better for a change in style and a different opponent. I thought Brazil was generally the better team in regular time, but they weren't especially good either. I was kind of hoping it would end one way or the other after 90 minutes.

Brazil was simply the better team. Had Germany been able to field the best squad eligible it might have been a very different story. With Goretzka already out there was simply no depth left to cover for Bender's injury. If you have to rely on Grischa Prömel to save the day you are in trouble. Pretty telling that Hrubesch didn't use a third substitute. The German team was together for barely three weeks, given that circumstances the outcome is superb.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Yep. With all the negativity surrounding the Olympics at least Brazilians have that to fondly look back upon.

The vast majority of Brazilians couldn't care less about the Olympics. I've never been to a sports event of similar magnitude where the city was less interested. That applies in particular to soccer. The domestic league didn't stop during the Olympics, and many Brazilians talked more about club competition. The crowd at the games was not soccer specific, it didn't feel like being at a Latin American soccer game at all. The gold for the men's team was expected by everybody in Brazil, but with limited enthusiasm.
Big emotions came more in events like Beach Volleyball, where the crowds were really raucous.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He cheated in 82

Straightforward and great person indeed

So, you're holding something against him that happened 34 years ago? Which is basically past the stratute of limitations for about any crime short of murder? As a Real fan, no less, with one of this generations bigger cheaters in your avy? Come on.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Damn, those Bender brothers are such butchers. Couldn't tell which was which, but they made at least 5 hard fouls, easily.

I was expecting more from Germany. Not in terms of talent, they're well talented... but they just sit there waiting for a counter and dead ball opportunities... didn't look like their dominant NT style.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Great tournament from Germany. Not much preparation before the tourney, a very suspect squad with many limitations from the league in putting together the team, players who will never ever come even close to the national team and an early injury to key player Goretzka. The olympics have zero importance in Germany, therefore taking Brazil to penalties in the final at Maracana is an unbelievable success.
Brazil won the final deserved, they were the better team for most of the game and you could easily see they wanted revenge for the 7:1. Germany had no depth behind the starting eleven and that's why Hrubesch did not use his third and fourth changes. Had Bender not been injured he wouldn't even have used a second change. Great for Brazil, maybe they can move on now from the 7:1 because that sting seems to hurt them until today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->