The Official 2016 Summer Olympics Thread

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Damn, those Bender brothers are such butchers. Couldn't tell which was which, but they made at least 5 hard fouls, easily.

I was expecting more from Germany. Not in terms of talent, they're well talented... but they just sit there waiting for a counter and dead ball opportunities... didn't look like their dominant NT style.

Germany played against one of the best Teams Brazil could bring.
In contrast im German and never heared of Grischa Prömel before.
Im sure with Weigl, Dahoud and Sane they played another style.
With this Team you cant Play the dominant style of the NT. There is just not enough Talent.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I know I've never forgiven Schumacher.

Understandable as a French and a football fan. He was an idiot back then and I'm not sure he got smarter after that.
I dislike Koeman and Rijkaard for similar reasons.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Been watchin futbol since the 60s. Can't believe Brazil stopped choking in the Olympics. The final should be settled in OT, not a shootout. :shakehead

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Horst Hrubesch is a cheater because of what? This silly Austria tie?
This man has done more for German football than Klinsmann and Löw combined.

And that Austria tie wasn't a classless cheating act?

I don't care what he has done for German football

I hope he cried after yesterday's game. I hope he was hurt

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany played against one of the best Teams Brazil could bring.
In contrast im German and never heared of Grischa Prömel before.
Im sure with Weigl, Dahoud and Sane they played another style.
With this Team you cant Play the dominant style of the NT. There is just not enough Talent.

The problem was the preparation, not the talent. Prömel's a very promising Karlsruhe prospect, and Christiansen is very promising as well. But the team had like 5 practices together before the tourney; so there just wasn't a chance to develop the necessary possession cohesion, even if we had had a better coach.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Nope, you got screwed by the system, but we didn't do anything but take advantage of the system in place.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF

The game you mention was a 1:0 victory with Hrubesch scoring the goal. The outcome was a consequence of the tournament fixture. After the goal both teams knew they were to advance. Game theory predicts exactly what happened. Classic "win-win"-situation. As a consequence, for later tournaments the fixture was modified accordingly, I.e. decisive games to be played simultaneously.
What Austria and Germany did, was against sportsmanship, but completely rational from a pro athlete 's point of view. Like a tactical foul.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
I'd rather watch them play 8 on 8 or something til someone scores than friggen penalties.
Playing 120 minutes puts you on the edge physically, going to any additional OT would be too much. I also like the idea that brave defending might be rewarded.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'd rather watch them play 8 on 8 or something til someone scores than friggen penalties.

Playing 120 minutes puts you on the edge physically, going to any additional OT would be too much. I also like the idea that brave defending might be rewarded.

Players are usually depleted after 90 minutes. I rarely remember enjoying extra time actually. Maybe if teams had like 3 new subs to use in addition to any subs they hadn't made before.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Players are usually depleted after 90 minutes. I rarely remember enjoying extra time actually. Maybe if teams had like 3 new subs to use in addition to any subs they hadn't made before.

I think the fourth sub allowed is a step in the right direction, but of course if the squad has no depth to begin with like the Olympics teams had, that's rather pointless. Germany had no real options on the bench.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think the fourth sub allowed is a step in the right direction, but of course if the squad has no depth to begin with like the Olympics teams had, that's rather pointless. Germany had no real options on the bench.

Especially after Goretzka got hurt.

A fourth sub would be a good idea. I definitely do not like the idea of adding more time after 120 minutes. Legs would just be dead.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

One amusing but in theory plausible idea I've heard is to hold the shootout directly after regular time but before the extra time periods until there's a winner. Then there would be the normal extra 30 minutes for the losing team to even up the score or the winning team to pull further ahead. Kind of problematic if one team runs away in the shootout, but it would at least force attacking football in extra time instead of the usual stalling for penalties. :laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I respect the Brazilian team and what they accomplished here, but I just didn't get the "woe is Brazil" narrative the commentators kept selling.

"Oh they need this one"

"Oh the pressure on the players"

"Oh the cynicism in the Maracana"

Um, ok? I get that everyone wants to win at home, but five World Championships? Literally every title available to a men's team in their trophy case? There's hundreds of countries -hundreds- who would give anything to one time be where Brazil has been two dozen times. I don't buy the desperation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The desperation is real. Winning something like the Olympics( which a lot of people don't take serious) and seeing that reaction from their fans/players it becomes obvious this nation is starving for some success after a decade of failure and embarrassment.

95% of nations would love a cup run, Argentina has 3 in 3 years, ask them if they feel desperate to win or is this close to enough?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's like when Canada doesn't win the World Juniors and I'm supposed to believe it's some kind of national tragedy.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I respect the Brazilian team and what they accomplished here, but I just didn't get the "woe is Brazil" narrative the commentators kept selling.

"Oh they need this one"

Um, ok? I get that everyone wants to win at home, but five World Championships? Literally every title available to a men's team in their trophy case? There's hundreds of countries -hundreds- who would give anything to one time be where Brazil has been two dozen times. I don't buy the desperation.

The CBF has been a mess ever since 2014 and was highlighted by the fact that they rehired Dunga as the manager. This was even though they fired him, instead of letting him resign, in 2010.

The fiasco in the Real Copa America in 2015 when nobody actually was there to appeal Neymar's suspension, and Brazil going out at the QF stage (a rarity in the Copa) and the way Brazil is currently performing in WCQ.

Winning Olympic gold gets them the missing piece but gives Brazil momentum going forward into the WCQ later this year.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think a lot of people think about Brazil as being a society that's not in a good place. They got the World Cup and the Olympics to show the world they're a country on the way up. It was meant to showcase that Brazil is becoming a first world nation. Instead if anything the country took a P.R. hit from those events. I guess the problem nowadays is that it's not easy to simply sell an 'approved' version of events to the world public if you let in hundreds of media crews and many thousands of foreign observers who are already skeptical of such events and are aware of the issues.

People like to draw parallels between society and sports and the 1-7 at the World Cup seemed to symbolize that you shouldn't believe the hype, that there's a rot beneath the shiny facade.

The Olympics have generated a lot of negativity and bad coverage as well and there's been much talk about how negative many Brazilians were about the Games.

I don't think Brazil were 'desperate' to win this, I think they expected to win it, much like they expected to win the World Cup in 2014. Now this was an easier tournament to win as the level of competition isn't the same and just prioritizing it gives you a huge advantage. I think people were concerned that if Brazil fail to get this, too, that it was going to further damage the atmosphere in the country. I don't think they got a significant boost from winning it but they avoided a significant hit at a time when they already took a few significant hits.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany

He did not, he was very, very happy with that silver medal. They celebrated hard after the game and rightfully so. Nobody in Germany expected anything from this team

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

"Oh they need this one"

Just look at USA Men's Basketball team and you'll understand. People are upset cause they didn't win every game by 30 pts this Olympics.

Not having that medal/title was just unacceptable to the nation who prides himself as the country of football.

It's ironic that we won it in a moment where we are struggling to develop star players like we are used to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad