Pre-Game Talk: The not quite yet ready for being called the battle of alberta. Rattle of Alberta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Going to the game as well, and really actually looking forward to this one. Hope we give a good effort. I think we come out strong, get up on the Flamers, and then....well....I look at our defence and......yah, it doesn't end well.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I really hope someone rocks Gaudreau tonight. Even if they stay well out of the playoff race from here on out, they better at least win the two remaining against Calgary

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay
Just saw the proposed lineups tonight....

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 6m6 minutes ago

Hall-RNH-Pakarinen, Pouliot-Draisaitl-Eberle, Purcell-Letestu-Kassian, Korpikoski-Lander-Yakupov

Yak was our best forward last game. Seems like a great idea to stick him on the fourth line with Lander as his center.

I dont like questioning coaches...but this seems odd. :skeptic:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There must be something about Yak that none of us know about. First overall pick and has he ever been played on our first line? Why is he essentially getting demoted after being our best forward? There is something the coaches we've had see or know that we as fans simply can't grasp.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nothing would make me happier than smacking the Flames in the gob.

But reality isn't so kind. They'll blast us on HNIC like they always do.

Jun 9, 2011
I'll probably watch it for Kassian and Yak. Maybe Hall still has some gas left in his tank to carry RNH and Purcell.

Lol why is yak on the 4th line? What a joke

Sensing a little Yak love. :handclap:

I have no idea why Yak would still be on that line unless they are thinking, it works don't fix it? Maybe he moves up to the third when McDavid gets back.

Johnny Hockey all night long. He is a good player, fun to watch, came seemingly out of nowhere, and we know in advance the broadcast crew is going to make him the story of the game. Let's win and ruin it for them!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm already dreading listening to them say "Johnny Gooooodrow" over and over. Because you can't say his last name without his first on live TV.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just saw the proposed lineups tonight....

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 6m6 minutes ago

Hall-RNH-Pakarinen, Pouliot-Draisaitl-Eberle, Purcell-Letestu-Kassian, Korpikoski-Lander-Yakupov

Yak was our best forward last game. Seems like a great idea to stick him on the fourth line with Lander as his center.

I dont like questioning coaches...but this seems odd. :skeptic:

This being so typical of this orgs treatment of Yakupov. Stick him with the two worst forwards on this club. If Klinkhammer wasn't waived he'd be rotated there too.

The one player that scored in last game and was dangerous throughout is on 4th line. So Oilers.

Now I do know that Korpi got the assist on that goal but don't expect that play to be occurring every game..Yak could use some better service.

Plus why are we going back to Nuge/Hall?

Almost any fan of this team understands that Hall/Drai is a thing, and Nuge/Eberle is a thing..

I won't mix words. The lines lately have been ASININE and rotating the lines endlessly is CONTRIBUTING to this teams putrid offense. The players have limited familiarity with others with all the juggling.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well guys there is one thing to remember re: Yak. His goal was assisted by Korpikoski. Korpi has a good mix of speed and skill as well as defensive conscience so my only beef is that it is Lander centering that line. That shouldn't be a problem when McDavid returns unless we deal RNH or injuries hit.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There must be something about Yak that none of us know about. First overall pick and has he ever been played on our first line? Why is he essentially getting demoted after being our best forward? There is something the coaches we've had see or know that we as fans simply can't grasp.

He lets farts fly on the bench and so thus sits with the non cool kids?

He dresses funny?

Wrong cologne?

Wears pinstriped suits?

Funny moustache"

I dunno. I'm out of answers here.:laugh:

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Maybe they feel yak does better when he can drive a line and they gave him 2 good defensive forwards to allow him to concentrate on of fence. My guess is yak and kass both play better on rw and tm sees those bottom two lines as equal

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think Korpi gets criminally under-rated by some people on here as just another "terrible bottom 6 guy." Is he suitable for top 6 or to play there consistently? Of course not, but I think he has the skill and speed to slide up and down the lineup as needed. In a short term crunch or to shake things up, he's a nice fit. Similar to Micheal Frolik in Calgary, in my mind. Works his butt off, hits, gets consistent offensive zone time, gets the odd point here and there and does a nice job killing penalties. I have no problem with him.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I have a feeling that Gaudreau will be forgotten for the time being in favour of Bennett.

Guy doesn't do jack for 20 games, but he has a Gagner type night and you just know he'll be proclaimed the new superstar.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think Korpi gets criminally under-rated by some people on here. Is he a bonafide top 6? Of course not, but I think he has the skill and speed to slide up and down the lineup as needed. In a short term crunch or to shake things up, he's a nice fit. Similar to Micheal Frolik in Calgary, in my mind. Works his butt off, hits, gets consistent offensive zone time, gets the odd point here and there and does a nice job killing penalties. I have no problem with him.

I agree.

He's got some speed, works hard and is capable of winning a battle down low.

I don't get some of the hate for guys that are clearly bottom 6 and play the role. What is everyone expecting out of a 3/4th line winger? He plays his role fine.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He lets farts fly on the bench and so thus sits with the non cool kids?

He dresses funny?

Wrong cologne?

Wears pinstriped suits?

Funny moustache"

I dunno. I'm out of answers here.:laugh:

Doesn't bring his A game consistently?
Fails to produce even when paired with the best offensively gifted player the team has? (2 goals in 13 games)
His calling card is supposedly his one timer. Need to start seeing some of those not being whiffed on or drilled wide of the net most of the time.

I want him to succeed, but he needs to bring it every night, and produce more often than not.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree.

He's got some speed, works hard and is capable of winning a battle down low.

I don't get some of the hate for guys that are clearly bottom 6 and play the role. What is everyone expecting out of a 3/4th line winger? He plays his role fine.

Apparently when the offence completely dries up on your highly paid, minute getting top 2 lines, the blame should automatically shift to all the bottom guys.:shakehead

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gaudreau ran our show last time and IIRC that game was the beginning of Hall's level of play taking a dip. We need this game in a big way so that likely means a loss and Gaudreau getting 4 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad