The no negativity thread

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Campoli also gave me one of the best hockey memories of my life with my brother when he tried to flip it over Burrows in game 7 OT. We cried and celebrated like mofos.

It was such a great play and great shot by Burrows. Prime example why Burrows was loved so much by his teammates and fans. Dorion paid for that love.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Greatest defence pairing we’ve had?

Phillips Chara?
Phillips Volchenkov?
Methot Karlsson?
Something else?

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
*bump*

I know that after yesterday’s moaning, I need a safe space, where we can look at and discuss things optimistically.

Please don’t reply sarcastically (“Well the weather is nice”), or try to bring the thread down! We know why things look sucky. I want a place that looks at the positive without being brought down

Maybe I’m delusional (don’t say it) but the unrelenting pessimism is exhausting, and I’d like to hear some ways that things could turn out OK.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
positive-thinking-tips-and-benefits.jpg

Reactions: Variable26

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They still have time to fix what we are all worried about... sign Stone, Karlsson and Duchene to long term deals, trade Dzingel for a nice asset or two, trade Smith for a pick and we can easily afford all of the big 3. Gaborik going on LTIR? Could even trade Ryan with some retention because he would have only 3 years left, particularly if he has a healthy season. Anderson and Condon deals coming to an end soon too. Ceci could also be traded for a nice asset or two as we have now future on RD

And if the team is sold then we are in a very good spot as the new owner(s) would invest more money in the team and prepare an arena move downtown (which would probably fix attendance issues).

Batherson-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Formenton-Chlapik-Boedker
Paul-Pageau-Gagne
Luchuk/Nurmi

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-JBD
Lajoie/Tychonick-Jaros
Harpur

Gustavsson
Hogberg

In 2 years, this team would be well under budget

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Man what a team we were. The envy of the league.

Hossa
Havlat
Alfredsson
Chara
Redden
Phillips
Volchenkov
White
Bonk
Fisher
Vermette

Was the biggest Havlat fan and still hold a signed rookie card that's encased that I won at midland. Also I puck I think.

Too bad he was injury proned it seemed, was nice to have him as impact winger that was good for our 2nd/3rd lines.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They still have time to fix what we are all worried about... sign Stone, Karlsson and Duchene to long term deals, trade Dzingel for a nice asset or two, trade Smith for a pick and we can easily afford all of the big 3. Gaborik going on LTIR? Could even trade Ryan with some retention because he would have only 3 years left, particularly if he has a healthy season. Anderson and Condon deals coming to an end soon too. Ceci could also be traded for a nice asset or two as we have now future on RD

And if the team is sold then we are in a very good spot as the new owner(s) would invest more money in the team and prepare an arena move downtown (which would probably fix attendance issues).

Batherson-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Gagne
Luchuk/Nurmi

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-JBD
Lajoie/Tychonick-Jaros
Harpur

Gustavsson
Hogberg

In 2 years, this team would be well under budget

Of course is would, that team has 16 guys that are prospects on it...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here's a positive - we have three elite players all looking for their Golden Wonka Ticket of a contract. You don't think they will be hugely motivated? I think we are going to start the season really strong, completely wrong footing all of the haters who had us tanking...

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Here's a positive - we have three elite players all looking for their Golden Wonka Ticket of a contract. You don't think they will be hugely motivated? I think we are going to start the season really strong, completely wrong footing all of the haters who had us tanking...

That and all the young guns looking to set there mark in the league like Brown, White, Chlapik, maybe Forms and Batherson? Wolanin? Could be fun with all that young energy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Of course is would, that team has 16 guys that are prospects on it...

In 2 years many of them won’t be prospects anymore and correct me if I’m wrong but graduating a lot of rookies in the next few years seems to be the plan... it’s the cheapest way and drafting seems to be the only thing they have done consistently well for a while

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In 2 years many of them won’t be prospects anymore and correct me if I’m wrong but graduating a lot of rookies in the next few years seems to be the plan... it’s the cheapest way and drafting seems to be the only thing they have done consistently well for a while
We sure will, but no chance we will be graduating 16 guys over the next 2 seasons to our starting roster. Not sure anything like that has ever been done in the NHL.

Since the 2012 season (6 seasons of play), we have graduated 11 guys into full time NHLer's:
Chabot
Ceci
Boro
Pageau
Stone
Hoffman
Dzingel
Wideman
Claesson (sort of)
Harpur (sort of)
Lazar (sort of)

Don't get me wrong, I expect us to graduate more guys in the next few seasons than we are used to, but not at a level like that.

We will see a combination of Chlapik/White/Brown/Jaros/Wolanin get games in each of the next 2 seasons, likely moving into full time positions before the 2020 season, Batherson should start to see games as a cup of coffee this season and hopefully move into a full time position for the 2020 season, Formenton cups of coffee next season, JBD & Tychonik will either both still be in NCAA for their 3rd season, or will sign and spend the year in Belleville, neither guy is going to arrive in the NHL in 2 years out of the NCAA., let alone play in a top 4.

1 of our goalies may be backing up in 2 years, definitely will not have both guys on the roster.

It's one thing to have a bunch of prospects graduate at the same time, its another to have them graduate at the same time to account for 2/3 of our top 9, 4 of our starting D, and both of our goalies, it's just not realistic.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We sure will, but no chance we will be graduating 16 guys over the next 2 seasons to our starting roster. Not sure anything like that has ever been done in the NHL.

Since the 2012 season (6 seasons of play), we have graduated 11 guys into full time NHLer's:
Chabot
Ceci
Boro
Pageau
Stone
Hoffman
Dzingel
Wideman
Claesson (sort of)
Harpur (sort of)
Lazar (sort of)

Don't get me wrong, I expect us to graduate more guys in the next few seasons than we are used to, but not at a level like that.

We will see a combination of Chlapik/White/Brown/Jaros/Wolanin get games in each of the next 2 seasons, likely moving into full time positions before the 2020 season, Batherson should start to see games as a cup of coffee this season and hopefully move into a full time position for the 2020 season, Formenton cups of coffee next season, JBD & Tychonik will either both still be in NCAA for their 3rd season, or will sign and spend the year in Belleville, neither guy is going to arrive in the NHL in 2 years out of the NCAA., let alone play in a top 4.

1 of our goalies may be backing up in 2 years, definitely will not have both guys on the roster.

It's one thing to have a bunch of prospects graduate at the same time, its another to have them graduate at the same time to account for 2/3 of our top 9, 4 of our starting D, and both of our goalies, it's just not realistic.

I see what you mean, and maybe 2 years was exaggerated but I think it's close to what's going to happen in reality. Actually, as you can see both Anderson and Condon are gone in my scenario so I was talking about 2020-21 (which is in 2 years but 3 seasons)

(Based on HF criterias) :

- Chabot graduates 1st game of the season
- Harpur graduates soon too
- Paul should graduate this year too (unless he's cut early)
- I think White certainly graduate this year (NHL ready)
- I think Wolanin has a great chance of graduating this year (looks NHL ready)
- I think Chlapik has a good chance of graduating this year (looks very close to NHL ready)
- Some others will also see some games when injuries arise (experience)

2018-19 (obviously lines would not be exactly like that) :

Boedker-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Pageau-Stone
Smith-Chlapik-White
Paajarvi-Paul-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

- 1 rookie D-man (anywhere from #3-6 D-man)
- 2 rookie forwards in the bottom-6

========================================

- I think Tkachuk graduates in 2019-20
- I think Brown graduates in 2019-20
- I think Batherson has a great chance to graduate in 2019-20
- I think Formenton has a great chance to graduate in 2019-20
- I think Jaros has a great chance to graduate in 2019-20

- Dzingel, Smith, Paajarvi, Pyatt, McCormick, Wideman gone

2019-20 (obviously lines would not be exactly like that) :

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Boedker-Pageau-Batherson
Formenton-Paul-Chlapik
?????

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

- 1 rookie D-man (3rd pair)
- 4 rookie forwards (Tkachuk and Brown were high picks and will certainly been given significant roles, if they can deal with it of course). I think Batherson will be good fast, enough to be a 3rd liner. Formenton will still be young and we can bring him slowly but he could also force the team's hand.

- I do hope that Gustavsson and Hogberg graduate. Very hard to tell with goalies though. If not, trade or UFA route.
- I think Gagne has a chance to graduate in 2020-21 (if not him, it could be Nurmi, Luchuk, Perron or somebody else)
- I think JBD has a decent chance to make the team in 2020-21, his game seems very pro adaptable
- I think Lajoie has a decent chance to make the team in 2020-21, if not him, Boro could be kept around longer or it could be somebody else (Tychonick, Englund, Bergman, etc)

- Ryan, Borowiecki, Ceci, Anderson, Condon gone

And that gives you my initial line-up for 2020-21 :

Batherson-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Gagne/Luchuk/Nurmi/etc

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-JBD
Lajoie/Tychonick-Jaros
Harpur

Gustavsson
Hogberg

-2 rookie goalies (yeah, probably won't happen)
- 1 rookie forward on the 4th line
- 1 or 2 rookie D-man.

Notice that Boedker would need another contract for 2020-21, but maybe Dzingel is going to be kept all the way.

If some young guys need more time, players like Ceci, Ryan, Condon, Dzingel, Borowiecki, etc could be kept a bit longer; or there's always trades and UFA market.

I'm certain this is a massive youth movement (like 2011) and it will happen a bit like that. Of course, trades will happen, injuries will happen, some prospects will disappoint, some may surprise but I think it's pretty close to realistic on a 3 year period.

Please tell me which of these graduations are not realistic, would like to see your opinion on them

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I see what you mean, and maybe 2 years was exaggerated but I think it's close to what's going to happen in reality. Actually, as you can see both Anderson and Condon are gone in my scenario so I was talking about 2020-21 (which is in 2 years but 3 seasons)

(Based on HF criterias) :

- Chabot graduates 1st game of the season
- Harpur graduates soon too
- Paul should graduate this year too (unless he's cut early)
- I think White certainly graduate this year (NHL ready)
- I think Wolanin has a great chance of graduating this year (looks NHL ready)
- I think Chlapik has a good chance of graduating this year (looks very close to NHL ready)

2018-19 (obviously lines would not be exactly like that) :

Boedker-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Pageau-Stone
Smith-Chlapik-White
Paajarvi-Paul-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

- 1 rookie D-man (anywhere from #3-6 D-man)
- 2 rookie forwards in the bottom-6

- I think Tkachuk graduates in 2019-20
- I think Brown graduates in 2019-20
- I think Batherson has a great chance to graduate in 2019-20
- I think Formenton has a great chance to graduate in 2019-20
- I think Jaros has a great chance to graduate in 2019-20

- Dzingel, Smith, Paajarvi, Pyatt, McCormick, Wideman gone

2019-20 (obviously lines would not be exactly like that) :

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Boedker-Pageau-Batherson
Formenton-Paul-Chlapik
?????

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

- 1 rookie D-man (3rd pair)
- 4 rookie forwards (Tkachuk and Brown were high picks and will certainly been given significant roles, if they can deal with it of course). I think Batherson will be good fast, enough to be a 3rd liner. Formenton will still be young and we can bring him slowly but he could also force the team's hand.

- I do hope that Gustavsson and Hogberg graduate. Very hard to tell with goalies though. If not, trade or UFA route.
- I think Gagne has a chance to graduate in 2020-21 (if not him, it could be Nurmi, Luchuk, Perron or somebody else)
- I think JBD has a decent chance to make the team in 2020-21, his game seems very pro adaptable
- I think Lajoie has a decent chance to make the team in 2020-21, if not him, Boro could be kept around longer or it could be somebody else (Tychonick, Englund, Bergman, etc)

- Ryan, Borowiecki, Ceci, Anderson, Condon gone

And that gives you my initial line-up for 2020-21 :

Batherson-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Paul-Pageau-Gagne/Luchuk/Nurmi/etc

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-JBD
Lajoie/Tychonick-Jaros
Harpur

Gustavsson
Hogberg

-2 rookie goalies (yeah, probably won't happen)
- 1 rookie forward on the 4th line
- 1 or 2 rookie D-man.

Notice that Boedker would need another contract for 2020-21, but maybe Dzingel is going to be kept all the way.

If some young guys need more time, players like Ceci, Ryan, Condon, Dzingel, Borowiecki, etc could be kept a bit longer; or there's always trades and UFA market.

I'm certain this is a massive youth movement (like 2011) and it will happen a bit like that. Of course, trades will happen, injuries will happen, some prospects will disappoint, some may surprise but I think it's pretty close to realistic on a 3 year period.

Please tell me which of these graduations are not realistic, would like to see your opinion on them

I just started War and Peace so I'll have to get back to you.. you understand.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Since it looks like all of the important pieces of this team will still be around, I’m very confident that we’ll see a top 20 finish. This is not a playoff team, but this is also not the (second) worst team in the league. Average goaltending is all they really need, and I think they’ll get that.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Remeber the last time Erik had a healthy off-season? He trained like a MF, and we had that run to the ECF. I haven't heard anything about his training this summer, but he was emphatic about his complete foot health at that golf tournament interview.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad