The no negativity thread

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What are your favourite trades Ottawa has made? I’ll throw out a random one. I liked when we got Nelson Emerson at the deadline in 99. I always like him, and was happy we got him. I think I had been hoping we’d acquire him at that point too. Don’t remember if he did much for us though.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
What are your favourite trades Ottawa has made? I’ll throw out a random one. I liked when we got Nelson Emerson at the deadline in 99. I always like him, and was happy we got him. I think I had been hoping we’d acquire him at that point too. Don’t remember if he did much for us though.

Tampa Bay Lightning acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Andrej Meszaros
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
August 29, 2008
Filip Kuba
Alexandre R. Picard
2009 1st round pick (#26-Kyle Palmieri)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Kuba years turned out to be alright. He got his career high in points with the Sens.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Tampa Bay Lightning acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Andrej Meszaros
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
August 29, 2008
Filip Kuba
Alexandre R. Picard
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Kuba years turned out to be alright. He got his career high in points with the Sens.

Great trade. Too bad we traded that first for Campoli.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Great trade. Too bad we traded that first for Campoli.

Chicago Blackhawks acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Chris Campoli
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2011
Ryan Potulny
2011 2nd round pick (#48-Xavier Ouellet)
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
New York Islanders acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
New_York_Islanders.gif
Dean McAmmond
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 20, 2009
Chris Campoli
Mike Comrie
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Plus 2 years of Campoli on cheap salaries

You downgrade a 26th OA pick to 48th 2 years later but got a young PMD for 2 years on a cheap salaries and also Potulny who was probably the reason why Bingo won the Calder. And Mike Comrie as a rental who was also worth a decent pick just on his own

I’d do that trade every time without hesitating much

It’s incredible how much that trade was criticized when in the end it was good asset management. Most 26th OA picks don’t even give you what Campoli did with the team. Ahhh good ol’ HF Sens

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Chris Campoli
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2011
Ryan Potulny
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
New_York_Islanders.gif
Dean McAmmond
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 20, 2009
Chris Campoli
Mike Comrie
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You downgrade a 26th OA pick to 48th 2 years later but got a young PMD for 2 years on a cheap salaries and also Potulny who was probably the reason why Bingo won the Calder. And Mike Comrie as a rental who was also worth a decent pick just on his own

It’s incredible how much that trade was criticized when in the end it was good asset management. Most 26th OA picks don’t even give you what Campoli did with the team. Ahhh good ol’ HF Sens

On HF, the value of a 1st round pick is an elite scoring fwd, or top pairing defenceman, just not an elite scoring forward or top pairing defenceman from your team, because that's insulting.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Chris Campoli
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2011
Ryan Potulny
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
New_York_Islanders.gif
Dean McAmmond
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 20, 2009
Chris Campoli
Mike Comrie
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I just never thought Campoli was anything special. He was on the third pair. I wouldn’t trade a first for a third pairing guy, but that’s just me. Not to mention, we should have been trying to keep our picks at that point imo, not move them.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just never thought Campoli was anything special. He was on the third pair. I wouldn’t trade a first for a third pairing guy, but that’s just me. Not to mention, we should have been trying to keep our picks at that point imo, not move them.

Well, you're right. Campoli was not a world beater but he was still young (24 y/o) and cost controlled ($633,333 for the rest of 2008-09 and for 2009-10). Even for the following year (RFA), he didn't cost much ($1,400,000)

He had a 0.36 PPG with the Islanders in 228 Games, which is 30 Pts per 82 Games, very decent production for a young D-man. The thing is he still had untapped potential. I remember that he looked promising in his rookie season. It was a gamble and it didn't pay much but you know, it was not a much bigger gamble than it would have been with a 26th OA pick. And in 2009, the young talent was not as scouted as it is today and the talent is also more abundant today. Teams make less and less mistakes with their picks nowadays. So I'd argue than a late 1st round pick has more value today than 10 years ago.

The good thing about this is that Murray salvaged this trade by getting back a 2nd round pick and Potulny 2 years later, after we realized that Campoli's game wouldn't evolve much more. So in the end it didn't cost much to have Campoli for 2 years.

Without that second trade, it would probably looked worse, but in the end, no harm's done. People talked about it like it was Dahlen for Burrows with a 2.5 x 2 years extension. That's the funny part, the board was as whiny back then if not more.

To finish, I'll leave with some reading about draft percentages (if interested of course) :

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Here’s a fun little game. Let’s say you win the Stanley Cup, and you get a day with the cup. What do you do that day?

I would take it to CHEO and let the kids see it
I would set up a street hockey game, and the winner gets the cup
Have a big party and invite as many people as possible to come see it

You?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Brian Smolinski was a decent move i thought. We were weak down the middle and needed something.

Matt Cullen. It would have been even better if we re-signed him.

Andy Sutton. Okay maybe this wasn't great because we lost but man was that hit on Leopold was incredible.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Here’s a fun little game. Let’s say you win the Stanley Cup, and you get a day with the cup. What do you do that day?

You?
Edit

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, you're right. Campoli was not a world beater but he was still young (24 y/o) and cost controlled ($633,333 for the rest of 2008-09 and for 2009-10). Even for the following year (RFA), he didn't cost much ($1,400,000)

He had a 0.36 PPG with the Islanders in 228 Games, which is 30 Pts per 82 Games, very decent production for a young D-man. The thing is he still had untapped potential. I remember that he looked promising in his rookie season. It was a gamble and it didn't pay much but you know, it was not a much bigger gamble than it would have been with a 26th OA pick. And in 2009, the young talent was not as scouted as it is today and the talent is also more abundant today. Teams make less and less mistakes with their picks nowadays. So I'd argue than a late 1st round pick has more value today than 10 years ago.

The good thing about this is that Murray salvaged this trade by getting back a 2nd round pick and Potulny 2 years later, after we realized that Campoli's game wouldn't evolve much more. So in the end it didn't cost much to have Campoli for 2 years.

Without that second trade, it would probably looked worse, but in the end, no harm's done. People talked about it like it was Dahlen for Burrows with a 2.5 x 2 years extension. That's the funny part, the board was as whiny back then if not more.

To finish, I'll leave with some reading about draft percentages (if interested of course) :

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819
Campoli also gave me one of the best hockey memories of my life with my brother when he tried to flip it over Burrows in game 7 OT. We cried and celebrated like mofos.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Brian Smolinski was a decent move i thought. We were weak down the middle and needed something.

Matt Cullen. It would have been even better if we re-signed him.

Andy Sutton. Okay maybe this wasn't great because we lost but man was that hit on Leopold was incredible.

I like Smoke. He was good, not great. Steady, not spectacular. Gave us some much needed depth up front.

Agree on Cullen. Loved his breakaway goal against Pittsburgh in the 2010 playoffs.

Loved Sutton. He crushed a few guys in that series against Pittsburgh. Plus he gave us the infamous expert quote.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I like Smoke. He was good, not great. Steady, not spectacular. Gave us some much needed depth up front.

Agree on Cullen. Loved his breakaway goal against Pittsburgh in the 2010 playoffs.

Loved Sutton. He crushed a few guys in that series against Pittsburgh. Plus he gave us the infamous expert quote.
Smolinski was like more of what we already had down the middle, but it at gave us a 3rd quality center option.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Smolinski was like more of what we already had down the middle, but it at gave us a 3rd quality center option.

I also liked Dean McAmmond. I know he was a free agent signing and not a trade, but he was good too I thought. Too bad Pronger and Downie are pieces of shit.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I also liked Dean McAmmond. I know he was a free agent signing and not a trade, but he was good too I thought. Too bad Pronger and Downie are pieces of ****.
Agreed, he was excellent for us. Still can't believe they let Pronger off so easy for such a blatant attempt to injure.

On the subject of signings, i loved the Joe Corvo signing.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Agreed, he was excellent for us. Still can't believe they let Pronger off so easy for such a blatant attempt to injure.

On the subject of signings, i loved the Joe Corvo signing.

Corvo could skate, pass and shoot. He had a bullet of a shot. That OT winner in Buffalo is one of my favourite Sens memories. First time we ever went up 2-0 in a playoff series.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Corvo could skate, pass and shoot. He had a bullet of a shot. That OT winner in Buffalo is one of my favourite Sens memories. First time we ever went up 2-0 in a playoff series.
Mine too man, mine too. Had my Corvo jersey on for that game and ran around screaming like a school girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

I actually thought we should have deferred to him more when Redden was falling apart that last year with us. Corvo was arguably much more effective offensively at hat point.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Corvo was a joy to watch back in 06-07. I was kinda sad to see him go the following season. Stillman and Commodore return. Then my hate for Corvo really set in after he scored a hat trick against us.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

You?

I'd be just like Ovi tbh

I'd go to the byward market first thing in the morning and go to every single bar and get them to fill it with beer and drink it.

And then I'd go to the Redblacks game and just be walking around and hoisting it and drinking out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad