The Nikolai slight overreaction thread

Is Goldobin the worst ”top 6” player in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Fair enough but I am not sure than many fans can (or do) separate the player from the acquisition as easily as you do. Also, there is a good chunk of the fanbase that appear to see him as far more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener and I have been struggling to figure out why. I suspect that struggle will continue.

Sven is an interesting comparable as I think he is better than 77 will ever be but still not a legitimate top 6 on a good team. I can't recall him ever getting the love that 77 gets, although I don't read everything posted here so maybe I am off on that, and suspect that part of that is the fact that 47 cost a second rounder.

In any event, I suspect the debate on 77 will last as long as he is on the team.
Baertschi cost us a late 2nd rounder(53)
Turns into Rasmus Anderson in Calgary, a rookie D that’s projected to be a bottom pairing.
My point is the chance that a late 2nd round pick ends up a better player than Bartschi is kinda low

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
That’s crap. Such an unaccurate stat. He hasn’t created **** in all the games I’ve watched. Could be that EP created a lot for himself and Goldfish happened to be on the ice so, yeah maybe he actually managed to give the puck to EP (which occassionally happens even though he srews up most of the time) every now and then = ”pass/60” garbage stat.

Weren't there stats also showing that he drives possession and when players are on the ice with them they perform better? That kind of hurts the "Pettersson does it" idea, not that Pettersson isn't a part of it obviously.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Baertschi cost us a late 2nd rounder(53)
Turns into Rasmus Anderson in Calgary, a rookie D that’s projected to be a bottom pairing.
My point is the chance that a late 2nd round pick ends up a better player than Bartschi is kinda low
I tend to think it's more a case of low 2nd having a low chance of hitting at all BUT when it does hit, you have a chance of getting a player far better than Bartschi (unless you go for a player with low upside)

Still I have no problems with the trade.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He's not the worst top 6 forward in the NHL, but I am starting to lose faith. It's not like he has been given the Willie D treatment for seemingly no reason. He has been given a primetime opportunity, beyond what he deserves and in my opinion he hasn't delivered.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hes not great but hes taken a leap in development this year. He shows flashes of offensive promise and has creativity to his game not many players on our team have.

Kind of off topic but someone mentioned he has one of the best corsi ratings on the team. I think this is a good example of how completely useless advanced metrics can be. Goldobin is a mess at turning the puck over.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He is 3rd on the team in scoring. The first 2 are centers.

Who exactly should be playing in the top 6 ahead of him on the Canucks?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Fair enough but I am not sure than many fans can (or do) separate the player from the acquisition as easily as you do. Also, there is a good chunk of the fanbase that appear to see him as far more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener and I have been struggling to figure out why. I suspect that struggle will continue.

Sven is an interesting comparable as I think he is better than 77 will ever be but still not a legitimate top 6 on a good team. I can't recall him ever getting the love that 77 gets, although I don't read everything posted here so maybe I am off on that, and suspect that part of that is the fact that 47 cost a second rounder.

In any event, I suspect the debate on 77 will last as long as he is on the team.

I agree they don't. We all have inherent biases towards everything and it takes effort to try to ignore them and I just think I'm okay at it because what I do for a living requires it to some extent. I also think that's how analytics should be applied, and Dubas actually gave a lecture about this years ago where he said that analytics should be applied to remove these biases. You don't look at analytics alone, you use the eye test along with analytics and when they don't match up you look into it further to resolve it.

It's just in this instance I don't think the positive opinions towards Goldobin are particularly biased. I think there is enough data to show he's playing well and IMO the eye test backs this up. The problem is he's a tweener, albeit one closer to the 2nd line than not, who is continuing to improve and working hard to improve defensively. He had a drought where I thought he played well and was just getting robbed, hitting posts etc. Then he had a period where to me it looked like he was trying to hard to get out of the drought and trying to force passes through leading to turnovers.

Baertschi has some mixed reactions, but I think people overwhelmingly like him. I see him as a player who has nights where he looks like the best player on the ice and then others where he's clearly cold, but doesn't really cost you either. Personally I think Baertschi is a player who might be a playoff performer as when he's focused he's pretty good and he's actually a rock on his skates.

It's too Baertschi he has yet another concussion, which I think may be his fifth, and I think almost certainly another one will end his career. Personally I think there is a decent chance he hangs them up from this one if he doesn't recover soon. He didn't exactly get crushed with that hit and given how his recovery has gone you have to wonder how easily he'll get another one and how bad it will be if he gets a bad headshot.

Goldobin absolutely may never develop into a player that is a legit 2nd liner on a contending team, but I don't think his development has stopped so I don't see a reason to be down on him. If he plays at this level for the rest of his career I may agree with you, and he very well may have peaked right now, but he's a 23 year old who in my eyes has show consistent improvement. Also there are lots of good teams that have a #6 forward that is kind of a "high end" 40+ point tweener. IMO a 40-50 point winger that doesn't cost you defensively is fine even on a contending team if the contract is right so you can have depth elsewhere.

Honestly I don't care so much about size and grit in the bottom 6, if he can play well defensively and fill in on the PP or move up in case of injury I'm happy. Malhotra was a clear upgrade but Wellwood was definitely a good 3C and extremely underrated because of his size. He won faceoffs, he won puck battles, and he was able to chip in. He wasn't even able to move up the lineup like Goldobin potentially could. Similarly Raymond was a guy who could play on the 3rd line as he was fine defensively, could play the PK, and when he gets hot he can fill in for someone on the 2nd line.

If Goldobin continues to score at a 40pt pace on the 2nd line but keeps improving defensively I wouldn't mind him as a 30pt guy playing 3LW. That is assuming he does keep getting better defensively, though.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He's not the worst top 6 forward in the NHL, but I am starting to lose faith. It's not like he has been given the Willie D treatment for seemingly no reason. He has been given a primetime opportunity, beyond what he deserves and in my opinion he hasn't delivered.
“He hasn’t delivered”

*Om pace for 50 pts in his first full nhl season

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Goldobin shows Elias Pettersson's flair with Lee Goren's finish. Hopefully the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Goldobin is decent. I agree that his point total this year is a little inflated due who he plays with, but I don’t think he would be complete trash without EP.

I think what he needs to work on is creating his own offense. If he does that and keeps improving on his defense, he will be a good winger.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Goldobin is decent. I agree that his point total this year is a little inflated due who he plays with, but I don’t think he would be complete trash without EP.

I think what he needs to work on is creating his own offense. If he does that and keeps improving on his defense, he will be a good winger.
That being said, I think he is expendable since we have a lot of prospects coming up that bring similar skills to him.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Hes not great but hes taken a leap in development this year. He shows flashes of offensive promise and has creativity to his game not many players on our team have.

Kind of off topic but someone mentioned he has one of the best corsi ratings on the team. I think this is a good example of how completely useless advanced metrics can be. Goldobin is a mess at turning the puck over.

When you have the puck on your stick a lot and are trying to make creative things happen in the offensive zone, you will turn it over some, this is true of all but a couple players. As he gains more experience, some of the more egregarious ones should be reduced. He also has a lot of takeaways. Corsi is showing that in raw numbers, on balance he is driving possession and scoring opportunities alongside Petterson when he is on the ice, which is a useful big picture stat.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
When you have the puck on your stick a lot and are trying to make creative things happen in the offensive zone, you will turn it over some, this is true of all but a couple players. As he gains more experience, some of the more egregarious ones should be reduced. He also has a lot of takeaways. Corsi is showing that in raw numbers, on balance he is driving possession and scoring opportunities alongside Petterson when he is on the ice, which is a useful big picture stat.

Like I said, it's a good example of why using advanced metrics can be misleading. Corsi shows he drives possession. Anyone actually watching sees a player that struggles with protecting possession of the puck.

Hes been a much better player this year for us but I don't see a player that will be a part of the core moving forward.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

With Jake Virtanens puck luck the people who are blasting him for his lack of finish would be crowning him the new best winger we have.

Goldobin has 12 takeaways and 14 giveaways.
Elias Pettersson has 12 takeaways and 19 giveaways.

This shows why "eyetest" type of player evaluation by a bunch of nobodies is completely useless.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Goldobin has 12 takeaways and 14 giveaways.
Elias Pettersson has 12 takeaways and 19 giveaways.

This shows why "eyetest" type of player evaluation by a bunch of nobodies is completely useless.

That's a really bad example for you to use...but anyways

Do you think Goldobin is a reliable top 6 player as evidenced by his corsi? Or do you think hes a dime a dozen top 6 forward as evidenced by the 'eye test'?

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
There are few stats less accurately kept than the ultimately undefined "takeaways" and "giveaways" but I am pretty confident you already know that.

77 does struggle with keeping possession of the puck. His agent suggested that he change his blade pattern because he can't handle the puck and keeps bobbling and losing same. Still, we see post after post talking about his magic hands. Not a huge deal ultimately but I can't fathom where that notion comes from.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
All of those guys can score.

Dahlen is actually pretty similar to him except he is a better, more well rounded version.

They are not really similar at all in how they play the game. Dahlen is a one touch type player and not a puck distributor, and also has a lot of work to do in the AHL as he has to get much better defensively. Goldobin has shown plenty of scoring touch in all levels he has played in. Dahlen may be as good or better than Goldobin, but they are not the same sort of player and one does not make the other expendable, the Canucks need a lot more good offensive wingers before that happens.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Like I said, it's a good example of why using advanced metrics can be misleading. Corsi shows he drives possession. Anyone actually watching sees a player that struggles with protecting possession of the puck.

Hes been a much better player this year for us but I don't see a player that will be a part of the core moving forward.

That's a really bad example for you to use...but anyways

Do you think Goldobin is a reliable top 6 player as evidenced by his corsi? Or do you think hes a dime a dozen top 6 forward as evidenced by the 'eye test'?

Actually, anyone who watches him does not see a player who struggles with protecting the puck. What they see, or should be seeing at least, is a high event player who overall does more good than bad and helps his team. Both the eye test and numbers make this plain.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Actually, anyone who watches him does not see a player who struggles with protecting the puck. What they see, or should be seeing at least, is a high event player who overall does more good than bad and helps his team. Both the eye test and numbers make this plain.

I see a young forward with tendencies to make a lot of mistakes in all 3 zones. He has been given a long leash because we simply don't have players capable of playing a skill game in the top 6.

I dont want to crap on Goldobin anymore because I think hes valuable to this team and still has potential to be better.

Reactions: F A N

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I see a young forward with tendencies to make a lot of mistakes in all 3 zones. He has been given a long leash because we simply don't have players capable of playing a skill game in the top 6.

I dont want to crap on Goldobin anymore because I think hes valuable to this team and still has potential to be better.
Fair enough, at year end a more complete assessment can be made

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That pretty much sums up Goldobin. He's far from being a complete player. He's not even close to being as well-rounded as Baertschi. But Goldobin is 23 and he's been putting up points.

Long leash vs short leash is of little importance. On a team like the Canucks, you want a talented player like Goldobin to be given the opportunity to establish himself much like Baertschi was given an opportunity and completely turned his career around. At the end of the day, the purpose of acquiring draft picks and prospects is to have them develop into NHL contributors. Goldobin is contributing in the NHL now

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
They are not really similar at all in how they play the game. Dahlen is a one touch type player and not a puck distributor, and also has a lot of work to do in the AHL as he has to get much better defensively. Goldobin has shown plenty of scoring touch in all levels he has played in. Dahlen may be as good or better than Goldobin, but they are not the same sort of player and one does not make the other expendable, the Canucks need a lot more good offensive wingers before that happens.
Goldobin’s game isn’t really that valuable or something that is hard to replace. He scores points but he has huge holes in his game (soft, lack of size and strength, doesn’t play in the dirty areas very much, not great defensively).

Some of those other guys will be able to replace his scoring but also bring more to the table.

We have much bigger organizational holes, and if we could trad3 goldy for like a 2nd round pick, and use that pick to draft a good d prospect, I would heavily consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad