The Nikolai slight overreaction thread

Is Goldobin the worst ”top 6” player in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Goldobin is on pace to get 50 points this year.

If I had to take guess there probably at least 1/4 of top 6 wingers are not even on that pace.

At the end of season on average a team probably doesn't even have 2 to 3 wingers with 50 or more points.

There a reason why Green kept Goldobin with Pettersson almost the whole season. Because not everybody can play with Pettersson.

Also the fact is Pettersson can produce with Goldobin on his wing. Pettersson with Virtanen couldn't so Goldobin must be doing something right.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
he's actually pretty good... he's far from the worst top 6 fwd on the Canucks much less the league

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Baertschi never had the opportunity to leech off EP.

Yes but Baertschi was always a fixture on Horvats line. And after that hot start Pettersson missed 6 games and in the last 10 has 2 G 2 A. Goldobin if I recall actually got off to a really slow start, but in his last 10 has 3 G 7 A...so unlike what I said earlier he hasn't been that consistent and is currently on a hot streak.

I don't actually have an opinion on whether Goldobin is actually better than Baerstchi and it's not my intention of making that case, but for the purpose of this thread was just saying. And for the purpose of this thread it's a pretty weak comeback to just say 'but Pettersson'. It shouldn't be a surprise that a young PPG AHL player will put up points in the NHL playing with a good scoring center, and it's not like the rest of the scrubs we have in the lineup would achieve the same results.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
And after that hot start Pettersson missed 6 games and in the last 10 has 2 G 2 A. Goldobin if I recall actually got off to a really slow start, but in his last 10 has 3 G 7 A...so unlike what I said earlier he hasn't been that consistent and is currently on a hot streak.

Are you saying that Goldobin is playing better than Pettersson right now? I sure hope that is not what you are saying.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I miss clicked in the poll.
Goldobin is a fine middle 6 player, it's ridiculous to suggest he is somehow one of the worst. Do people that think so even watch other teams?

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
He isn't great but has talent and upside. I think its a good thing we are giving him a shot in our top 6 and hopefully he can round out into a good middle 6 forward for us. I do think his points are a bit misleading but what do we loose by giving him a try?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He isn't great but has talent and upside. I think its a good thing we are giving him a shot in our top 6 and hopefully he can round out into a good middle 6 forward for us. I do think his points are a bit misleading but what do we loose by giving him a try?

Yeah that was my stance on him and what I wanted to see going into the season. He was never going to be good enough to be a huge standout in camp like Boeser or Pettersson. This is a tweener player that can be a top line player in the AHL but may struggle in the NHL, but with young players like this you need to give them room to struggle in the NHL for a while with good linemates and ice time to see if they can grow into the role.

Now that may not ever happen, but if you don't give him that chance then you guarantee it's never going to happen.

Reactions: Hockeyphysio

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Wow, lots of fans defending him. Surprised. He is absolutely trash, can’t you see that folks? Can’t handle the puck, can’t finish, can’t recieve passes, guy’s barely an nhl player top 6 my arse.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Goldy with a good play to dig the puck out for Virtanen setting up Gaudette's goal

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
"Dig" is probably the wrong word but he was standing there so there is that. Not sure why he is out there with 3 minutes to go but I suppose Green doesn't want to have to answer questions about him not being out there.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
he's a lot better than you think he is

Here's Dan Wagner to explain why

Microstats love Nikolay Goldobin

That’s crap. Such an unaccurate stat. He hasn’t created shit in all the games I’ve watched. Could be that EP created a lot for himself and Goldfish happened to be on the ice so, yeah maybe he actually managed to give the puck to EP (which occassionally happens even though he srews up most of the time) every now and then = ”pass/60” garbage stat.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He’s awful... what can I say, awful
I feel you overreact a bit in this topic - I like him for what he brings, but the whole team need to step up some levels after 8 straight losses, but they won vs LA last night and it helps to get back some regulars in the lineup who were injured.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hyman....his lack of production with 2 offensive top -line gems is astounding.Is there really someone with less production in a top 6 role?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
interesting inflammatory thread title?

lets trash one of best performing players who just turned 23 and was aquired for a washed up Hansen.

Great aquisition and is doing fine playing with Elias on our top scoring line. Worst top 6 lol...junk take

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
A good thread might be who out of Jake and Goldy are going to be top 6 forwards on a winning team? Jake, Goldy, Both, Neither. Both are trending well this year. Big opportunity for them with Sedins gone and Boeser and Sven hurt.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
interesting inflammatory thread title?

lets trash one of best performing players who just turned 23 and was aquired for a washed up Hansen.

Great aquisition and is doing fine playing with Elias on our top scoring line. Worst top 6 lol...junk take

Well as a 4th liner he might be ok - just hit and run, won’t need to handle the puck very well, but he is not a top 6 player.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's in the mix because you would be hard pressed to find another player with more failed prime opportunities.

On the flip side, he's earned most of those opportunities.

It will come for him..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad