The Nikolai slight overreaction thread

Is Goldobin the worst ”top 6” player in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
another good game today by Goldy, seems to mesh well with EP and Bo which is great

Reactions: pomorick

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
15 points in his last 19 games last time I checked. He went on an unusually long pointless streak, but I can see Goldy becoming a solid second liner/support player in the future. You need players like this, not everyone is going to be a star.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I wouldn't go so far as to say you need players like this.

I will say you can win with players like this. But you can't win when you have too many of them. I suspect that in the next 12-18 months two of Baertschi, Goldobin and I think Leivo will be moved. I think they are all incomplete players.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I wouldn't go so far as to say you need players like this.

I will say you can win with players like this. But you can't win when you have too many of them. I suspect that in the next 12-18 months two of Baertschi, Goldobin and I think Leivo will be moved. I think they are all incomplete players.
Well, that's just about the entire team outside of Pettersson. Just about every player Benning brings in has some good points but glaring flaws in other areas.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Goldobin has been the 4th best forward behind Pettersson Horvat Boeser this year.
LQ7VJ7I.jpg

For a second I thought I could argue with that but I can't.

Reactions: pomorick

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Goldobin has been the 4th best forward behind Pettersson Horvat Boeser this year.

Is obviously very subjective, and I don't share your assessment as I think 18, 26 and others have been "better", but ultimately it is an apples to oranges comparison as nobody else has had the opportunities that 77 has been given.

Would be great if he turned out to be legit. I do love the optimism on him, and I can't think of another JB non-draft acquisition who actually generates any on this board let alone anything comparable, but I just don't see it as warranted. Time will tell, and their winger options are obviously very limited at this point, so I have no issue with TG continuing to use him as he has although the organization needs to take a long look at him before handing him term and dollars. I fear that the desire for a clear trade win, and the general fan/media enthusiasm for the player, will carry the day when it comes to deciding his contractual fate but ultimately there will still be worse contracts on the team.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If I am being honest I don't think Goldy is that great. He is just one of the few guys to have the IQ to actually play with Petterson. He still needs to do a few things to be a better player.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If I am being honest I don't think Goldy is that great. He is just one of the few guys to have the IQ to actually play with Petterson. He still needs to do a few things to be a better player.

One of the few guys with the IQ and passing skills. Goldy is not great but one of the few forwards that are serviceable.

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser

Virtanen
Goldy

The rest can go. Gaudette remains a prospect.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
One of the few guys with the IQ and passing skills. Goldy is not great but one of the few forwards that are serviceable.

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser

Virtanen
Goldy

It really shows how terrible this team is, and the forwards our the best part of this team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Pettersson
Horvat
Boeser

Virtanen
Goldy

The average age of the Canucks top 5 scorers is 21.5 years....and they are producing (most of the experts predicted us being toast without the production of the Sedins and Vanek this season)..

Its tough to say whether Goldy can retain his spot in the top 6..He's already off the EP line...There's also going to be competition from Baertschi..Internal competition is all good.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The average age of the Canucks top 5 scorers is 21.5 years....and they are producing (most of the experts predicted us being toast without the production of the Sedins and Vanek this season)..

Its tough to say whether Goldy can retain his spot in the top 6..He's already off the EP line...There's also going to be competition from Baertschi..Internal competition is all good.

Define "toast". Do you think this team is doing well? Do you think by being toast it meant we would plummet to 35th in the standings behind a few AHL teams?

This team sucks dude

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Define "toast". Do you think this team is doing well? Do you think by being toast it meant we would plummet to 35th in the standings behind a few AHL teams?

This team sucks dude
Toast as in 31st...read the pre-season prognostications..

I dont find the team sucks at all..On the contrary,I find the games very watchable,and also watching the young players develop is great.

Too bad you can't enjoy it.

Reactions: Nomobo

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

I dont find the team sucks at all..On the contrary,I find the games very watchable,and also watching the young players develop is great.

If 25th is evidence that this team isn't bad for you that's fine, though I wonder where your threshold is between toast and not toast.

The games are often watchable and I enjoy watching the young players develop, I never said otherwise, but instead of putting forward any useful argument you decide to make a ridiculous claim such as that. This is why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: geebaan

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
No it doesn't show anything at all. Just to be clear for those with unrealistic expectations, a good team does not consist entirely of first line players.

Unrealistic? I am not the one thinking this is a good team, no one is asking for a team to only have top six guys, but we have 3... then goldy then a drop off.

we suck and if you don't think we do, maybe your expectations are too high.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If 25th is evidence that this team isn't bad for you that's fine, though I wonder where your threshold is between toast and not toast.

The games are often watchable and I enjoy watching the young players develop, I never said otherwise, but instead of putting forward any useful argument you decide to make a ridiculous claim such as that. This is why we can't have nice things.
I thought we had nice things..?

Last edited:

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

That's how I remember it, too. Most people, myself included, thought this team was going to struggle offensively and be at the bottom of the league in scoring with LA. Like you said earlier, the Sedins and Vanek left a hole that Benning did nothing to address in the offseason.

Yet here they are, 35 games in averaging 3 goals a game. It's been a fun ride for sure. I can't think of a single game I've fallen asleep watching; it happened all the time in the Willie D days...

Goldobin and Virtanen turning a bit of a corner has helped with the offensive renaissance. League wide scoring in general is up too. But the biggest reason is Elias Pettersson. It's a god damn miracle he's been this good, this quickly, right when the Canucks needed a player like this most.

To not only come in and produce like a first line player but to do so while playing center, a position he barely played the year prior, was the biggest surprise this season. It's hard to imangie the Canucks being this productive if Pettersson had to start on the wing like most thought he would. Center depth instantly went from a concern to a strength. Remember when people were freaking about Sutter being the most likely candidate for 2C? Pretty excited to watch a one-two punch of Pettersson and Horvat down the middle for years to come.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad