The Next 4 years

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Nope, Giroux is still our best player right now.
The only thing working against him is age, but he's proven it isn't slowing him down yet. His bounceback was because he was finally healthy. The previous year he was still recovering from offseason surgery and the year before that he was injured, which is what led to that surgery.

2nd in the entire league in points and hardcore carried this team to the playoffs.... 8 goals and 19 points in the last 10 games for them to squeak in... that's what your best player does.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Honestly, I love the RORs, Couts, and Bergerons of the world. I want 4 lines of it. I have a problem.

Nah, you have a solution.
Couts - Patrick - Frost - Vorobyev
Then you can put the Giroux, JVR, Voracek types around them, with a few big boys mixed in (Allison, Ratcliffe, Laczynski, Lindblom).

The advantage of having two way strength down the middle is they can cover for one dimensional wingers, but a defensively responsible winger can't cover for a one dimensional center without getting out of position.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
IMO, moving G to the wing and Coots centering was advantageous for both players. I don't think it's a coincidence that both players had career years as it gave G more room to use his creativity and Coots someone to play with who doesn't completely blow.

As it stands currently, Giroux is a better player overall than Coots. Giroux carried that team to the playoffs, especially the final 10 games. The fact that he wasn't a Hart finalist for doing that AND scoring 100+ points is a disgrace.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This core is locked up pretty well (Simmonds is an outlier but whatever).

They are mostly signed for decent term, then you have the youngsters. Next year all the UFAs (minus Simmonds) could go away and the Flyers would have about 35 million still in capspace and no core pieces (Simmonds being a tough case) are unsigned that are not RFAs of some variety (no real threat to leave).

That's good asset management.

That's why Hexy is a geniussssss

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hatcher and Deadhead supported the Habs fans trade for Galchenyuk I suppose

You remember, the one where they turned down Giroux + 1st for Galchenyuk because of Giroux's "anchor" contract
Gally will turn his game around and I watch year to year so if you are sending down you gotta go. I would trade g right now.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Gally is weaksauce B, and please for the love of all that is holy stop shitting on the Captian, f*** off with the “he’s declining” argument, G is elite, and gets hard minutes dude was hurt and now is better, the argument sounds like some bitch ass hipster shit, where if he was on another team the same people arguing against him would be on his nuts, show some respect

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd prefer to move Voracek, but I'd trade Giroux if the right offer came along (and he'd waive his NTC).
But in either case, the right offer has to be pretty darn good. And so does the timing, 2020 makes more sense than 2018.

If 2020-21 is the realistic target date (i.e. Hart starting and Sandstrom backing up or in the AHL, so we have goalie depth and not three years away) to be SC contenders, Giroux is 33, Voracek and JVR will be 31 - so depending on what happens in the ED, it's not outrageous to consider offers.

However, since we could also use some veterans to stabilize a young roster, Voracek or JVR, neither whom is known for their leadership skills, are the more likely candidates if we have to make room for young players like Farabee, Allison, Ratcliffe, O'Brien and Lindblom to get more PT.

This is essentially no different than not wanting to extend 31 year old Simmonds, if the kids tie or exceed veteran production, the veterans go.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
no one could move him down low. But he ended up paying the price for all the pounding he took over the years.
He was one of my favorite Flyers ever.

When he would should someone off his back then score anyway. hnnngnnnnnnnnng. Once, he carried 2 players on his back and scored I swear to god.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad