OT: The Newer OT Thread III and Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
and people say history and the humanities are worthless subjects to learn about. It's pathetic how business and money/material oriented western society is becoming. Particularly terrible in Alberta. People need to educate themselves with the human condition, culture, diversity, mental illness, history of civilization, art... everything basically. Need to hit a giant reset but people are too busy off in their own worlds

I'm born and raised in E Town but sometimes I'm ashamed to be from here and feel I have absolutely nothing in common with most common people from here. Other times I'm completely surprised by some random discussions with people that lead me to believe there is hope.

Wasn't always like this here in Alberta, or Edmonton at least, and different value sets and race for biggest toys seems to be the end all now. I'm very rat race opposed. People forget what things are of real value in a monetary world.

But hey, even Alberta can change from time to time..

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Wasn't always like this here in Alberta, or Edmonton at least, and different value sets and race for biggest toys seems to be the end all now. I'm very rat race opposed. People forget what things are of real value in a monetary world.

But hey, even Alberta can change from time to time..

I don't believe you.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I let our boys out this morning and my 7 year old, GOB (pronounced Jobe), caught his first bird. I walked out to a brutal murder scene with blood and feathers all over our deck. GOB, proud of his capture, tried to swiftly bring his new toy into the house. I closed the door on him. I could see through the window that he took this as an opportunity to further destroy this poor dead bird. The next time I checked the door, he was sitting, waiting patiently - I couldn't' see the bird - so I opened the door. He comes proudly walking in - present left wedged right into the door frame, front and center.

GOB is typically pretty affectionate, loves to be held and cuddle aggressively, so as soon as he's in, he's asking to be picked up. I look at him, and he has blood all over his chin. No ****ing way am I going to pick him up and let him rub that **** all over me! He is now more aggressive with his requests than he usually is - assumably adrenaline high from his big kill. I grab some toilet paper, cause I have no idea what to do, and try and wipe his chin off but he doesn't really let me. I eventually get it clean enough that I'm not worried he'll get it all over the place. I close the bedroom so he doesn't get blood in there and let him get around to cleaning himself.

At this point I decide it's time to remove this dead carcass from our front door. How does one dispose of a dead bird? I don't know. I decided to use a Tim Hortons paper bag to grab it, put into a compostable bag and put it into our compost bins (Victoria has garbage and compost bins that all organics go in). I have some regrets that this perhaps wasn't the best burial for this once living creature. What surprised me most though was the size of the bird. Now, GOB isn't a big guy at all. And he's had the majority of his teeth pulled because they were rotten. This bird was probably the same size as his head.

Anyhow, that's my news of the day.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
FYI all, there is a huge sale on nhlshop.us.com on all Jersey's for 43.99 USD. GOt myself 2 McDavid jersey's 1 in Third Jersey Orange and 1 Home Jersey.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
^common society isn't that bad - beneath the surface we are slowly moving towards sustainability and longevity. I guess in Edmonton it's hard to see because it's within an oil based economy coupled with rednecks in their Superduties - lots of people came here because of the oil boom I guess.

But that will disappear as we move towards renewable energy and then hopefully we diversify our our economy.

This consumerism is a consequence of industrialism, but I'm optimisitic it will get better.

http://www.greattransition.org/publication/the-decline-and-fall-of-consumer-society

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I checked it out. Not sure it is. Could be an Outlet site. No one has said anything about it.

Nothing wrong with knockoffs... but i don't think your saving 75% off any authentic jersey. There's a few red flags with this site such as the .us.com address. Also a legitimate NHL site would probably geo block you from buying from their US site if you are a Canadian. You would have to use a VPN to get around that problem.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Nothing wrong with knockoffs... but i don't think your saving 75% off any authentic jersey. There's a few red flags with this site such as the .us.com address. Also a legitimate NHL site would probably geo block you from buying from their US site if you are a Canadian. You would have to use a VPN to get around that problem.

Could be a Black Friday deal too. Never know.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB

Has anyone actually received a jersey from this website. Reading through their info makes me pretty sure it's a knock off site.

Haggard

High and Wide
Aug 15, 2005
Edmonton
Judging from the severely broken english in the "About us" and "Privacy and Security" sections on that site, I would say Knock offs for sure.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
lol heavy discussion about real ****, then someone mentions NHL sale and hey I bought 6 jerseys! when people are losing jobs left right and centre

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
lol heavy discussion about real ****, then someone mentions NHL sale and hey I bought 6 jerseys! when people are losing jobs left right and centre

Well, I COULD have posted this as an OT thread, but to save people the trouble of seeing 'useless' threads, I figured I'd post in here ;)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Knockoff jerseys are like all-season radial tires for winter driving. The real thing is much better yet folks will claim that the fake stuff is as good but the only reason people make those claims is they don't want to or can't afford to pay for the real thing.

:popcorn:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Knockoff jerseys are like all-season radial tires for winter driving. The real thing is much better yet folks will claim that the fake stuff is as good but the only reason people make those claims is they don't want to or can't afford to pay for the real thing.

Big fan of winter tires here. Main difference is I am not trusting the lives of my kids to whether someone can identify a knock-off jersey or not. I'd say that's rather significant.

My personal belief is that I would never buy a jersey at full price since I can personally never tell the difference anyways so it's a waste of money. Like anything else though, I can see why jersey enthusiasts (just like enthusiasts of all sorts of other hobbies) wouldn't be happy without the 'real thing'. For me it would be a total waste of money.

Of course I'm at the point now where I have a couple jerseys and would probably never buy any more anyways, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Either way, I'll spend extra money on something that might save my life, but I'm fine saving money on a hobby that isn't that important to me ;)

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton

NUefrF1.jpg0

;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Oddly enough the ripoff version looks more authentic to a retro original Leafs jersey than the current one does. Especially the color.

When team Jerseys have gone through so much variation through the years and every team has I don't for in instant consider it significant that a jersey might look somewhat different. Even the official jerseys these days are contrived variations around a theme. I'm sure some ripoffs could even look better with some reasonable art/design applied.

lol if somebody showed up at ACC with this original there would be 100 avant garde jersey purists poopooing on noessss That's a ripoff jersey....

1934.jpg

Just buy the Jersey you like for the price you like.

For sure I wouldn't be spending 300 bucks for a jersey. EVER.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I have a number of jerseys in a modest collection (about 13-14 of various sports and teams). I honestly can't always tell the difference so I have someone I send a photo to and he knows from the pic. I prefer to pay more for the real thing. To each his (or her) own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad