OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'd like to cancel summer just on account of humidity.

Get ready for work, step outside, within twenty seconds you're sweating and need another shower.

Gross. Summer is my least favorite season.

67263a8ddf6efec999bf44b1028b970a.jpg

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd like to cancel summer just on account of humidity.

Get ready for work, step outside, within twenty seconds you're sweating and need another shower.

Gross. Summer is my least favorite season.

View attachment 353675
I have to agree. I love sept, Oct, Nov and Dec best.

I hate the hot humid weather. It sucks the energy out of me.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've become a fan of this web site.

Good News

It reminds me that there are plenty of good people and good things going on in our country. Irregardless of how November turns out, those good things and good people will continue.

Americans are basically good and decent people. Some of us aren't very bright, and we are definitely stubborn, but most of us have our hearts in the right place and want generally the same things for ourselves and our country. We just have very different opinions of how to go about getting those things.

The idiots out there are a minority but they get a disproportionate share of the media coverage because that drives ratings.

What a great site! I just bookmarked it, thanks!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I know they're not sexy, but you have to wear a life jacket, especially if alone with a child. Set a good example. I can literally tread water for hours in a pinch, but still won't kayak without one, even in smaller lakes. Even experienced swimmers can cramp up and panic. It's not worth it.

Hopefully this will prevent others from doing the same.

I was going to say perhaps she cramped up and got pulled under by the current. I feel so bad for her child.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I have not seen any rallies out there, aside from the anti-lockdown rallies around memorial Day (which I fit into the anti-masker moron category) and the BLM ones (which I fit into the protesting category). There haven't been any Oklahoma type political events.

As for churches, they've been mostly shut down, and even when opened they have limited seating capacity and strict mask rules as far as I can tell. I haven't been able to get to a mass bcause they only opened about two weeks ago but they wouldn't let you in the building, they make you wait in the parking lot and bring communion out afterwards.

aguineapig

I have to agree. I love sept, Oct, Nov and Dec best.

I hate the hot humid weather. It sucks the energy out of me.

Then Let's all sing Happy Birthday to Roger McGuinn, he turned 78 today. Posted some songs in the Music thread for ya.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
There's something about this story that just doesn't add up for me..

After helping your child get aboard, why would you let go of the boat?
They said that there are strong currents during the afternoon so it is likely that she got caught in one and made the ultimate sacrifice.

My heart breaks for her little boy and her family.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Co-sign. We can't just curl up in the fetal position waiting for a COVID vaccine. Like you said- be smart, wear a mask, do social distancing & then go live your life. I'm taking a page out of my mother's life- she has lived through this plus polio, whooping cough and other epidemics growing up & not only were there no vaccines then there were also no antibiotics and very few other treatment methods that worked on these diseases. You took whatever precautions you could and then you got on with it (your life). I'm not the bravest soul on this planet but I'm not going to let this ruin my life either. If her generation can do it, so can mine.

"Keep calm & carry on" :)

I don't know what's the future..i just kind of keep on going. I shop for my moms groveries and hope all my friends and family are safe as well as everyone else. I try to keep busy talking sports and hope they come back. I get depressed and try to fight off those impulses as much as possible. We can make it through this. Just stay positive

Reactions: sooshii

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Victoria is quite good in the summer and I expect the Northwest US is as well. It is generally not too hot and rarely humid. The winters though rain too much. That’s it, wet and dry seasons. My daughter is spending her first summer in Ontario and hates the heat.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Victoria is quite good in the summer and I expect the Northwest US is as well. It is generally not too hot and rarely humid. The winters though rain too much. That’s it, wet and dry seasons. My daughter is spending her first summer in Ontario and hates the heat.
The humidity here is a killer. This month we had ten days in a row over 30C. I don't know how anyone can enjoy it with a Humidex of 45C.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Just lol at California. BIG OOF. Frauds. Other states will be more than welcoming to the California refugees in the coming years though.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I disagree. There has been too much talk of shutting everything down again until a vaccine is developed which is impractical in the extreme as it can take decades to develop a safe, working vaccine. Hell after 30 plus years of research there still isn't a vaccine to prevent HIV/AIDS!!! Supposedly there is promising research going on now for a COVID vaccine but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I worked right through the lock down- in CT insurance is considered an essential activity. My office was not open to the public but I was there every day working just like I did before this happened. Last week I re-opened to the public- wearing a mask, requiring clients to wear a mask, social distancing and disinfecting after each customer interaction. I don't know about other places but CT people for the most part have been reasonable about precautions.

I think you hit on an important part of how we move forward. It’s not one size fits all, it’s possible for some areas to open while others have to pause. Opening schools in Florida right now? Probably a bad idea. Opening schools in CT? More likely, with precautions in place, it might work based on our numbers, with the condition that if things change, we change. We’re in this mess, and we’re not getting out anytime soon so it’s damn near time we start figuring out how to manage this.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
....... Opening schools in Florida right now? Probably a bad idea. Opening schools in CT? More likely, with precautions in place, it might work based on our numbers, with the condition that if things change, we change. We’re in this mess, and we’re not getting out anytime soon so it’s damn near time we start figuring out how to manage this.

Well said, and its not just by state. It can be by region within a state. Here in Illinois, its 50-50 whether or not the kids in and around Chicago go back to the classroom in some form or fashion. Downstate, it might be a totally different story.

That's why I think its important for regional school districts to make that call as their unique situations dictate. Its also a good reminder that local elections (ie: your school board) are as important as national ones.

Reactions: BlackCrowes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad