OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Theyre just an animal doing what they are programmed to do. Self survival.

It’s horrible that someone dies because of it but one has to be aware now. The proliferation of seals has made our area a local diner.
When I was a kid I spent nearly every summer Down the Cape. Granted that was a long time ago. The 60’s and 70’s . But I never recall seeing a seal, Anywhere. Once and awhile there would be a sand shark. But never anything like this I can recall.

Correct. Grew up on the Cape (up Cape but on the water on the south coast.). this is totally new as in the last 3 decades there were literally no seals (prey) for these fish on the Cape. It's a recent development to have any meaningful seal communities on the Cape in the last 10 years. 25 years ago the best you would get is Mako and Blue/Blacktip sharks off the shoals 15+ miles off the coast chasing the bluefish migration and that was slim pickings.

Different story today due to conservation and seal community numbers exploding from prior populations.

Now with the warmer water (fact) the sand sharks are everywhere and in depths on the inner Cape side of 60-100 feet, where before they were in 20-40 ft depths and there were actually some cod in the deeper water. It has been amazing to see the trend in migratory species and where you need to go now to get flounder, fluke, cod, and deepwater fish. Literally in 20 years need to add 50-75 feet of depth for the same species and have migrations happening months before they happened in the 80's. Don't need NOAA scientists to tell us something is awry...

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad