OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Officially sent in the home school docs. to the state. Looking forward to some mid week skiing with the kids :D
Does your district provide you with funds to spend on enrichment activities? I know in some states the school district sends the family a stipend that can be used to pay for enrichment activities, sports activities and things like that.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
the northeast had this virus during christmas time. kids were in school then and most likely any illnesses from dec-march were covid. we have peaked here and this part of the US is definitely safe for schools.
Even if this were true, we have in no way peaked here and to think this way is dangerous and irresponsible.

New data suggests that antibodies may only last for a short time meaning even if someone had a strain of COVID at the beginning of the year, they can still get it and it may be far worse than before.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
My Wife’s school is supposed to tell the teachers and families tomorrow what the plan is. Regardless, my Wife is not going back. She suffers from chronic Lyme Disease, so she’s compromised. She’s going to suggest to the superintendent that they set up a computer in her classroom and she’ll meet with her students online, which as a reading teacher will work. She’s not going to expose herself to this for no good reason, and I obviously agree.
lyme disease is horrible. my brother in law has been weak, chills and fevers for a month. then came down with mrsa and 3 bullseyes. wasnt covid but it was lyme. kid cant move and he hikes all the time.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Even if this were true, we have in no way peaked here and to think this way is dangerous and irresponsible.

New data suggests that antibodies may only last for a short time meaning even if someone had a strain of COVID at the beginning of the year, they can still get it and it may be far worse than before.
i dont think anybody knows anything.
im just saying northeast as of now should be going back to school.
if cases increase then pull it back.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
the northeast had this virus during christmas time. kids were in school then and most likely any illnesses from dec-march were covid. we have peaked here and this part of the US is definitely safe for schools.

Seeing as there are scientists that are saying the antibodies last less than a few weeks now, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you. At least until they know more and can definitively say whether or not there is such thing as immunity to it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
i dont think anybody knows anything.
im just saying northeast as of now should be going back to school.
if cases increase then pull it back.
Disagree. You set up a hybrid system that will have the school year start online and then allow for schools to gradually re-open if the data allows.

Doing it this way would decrease the disruption that was experienced this spring.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Disagree. You set up a hybrid system that will have the school year start online and then allow for schools to gradually re-open if the data allows.

Doing it this way would decrease the disruption that was experienced this spring.

Im fine with that, but they better hurry up. School starts in a little more than a month. They also have to give working parents some type of aid, so they dont lose their job when they have to be at home teaching their kids.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Im fine with that, but they better hurry up. School starts in a little more than a month. They also have to give working parents some type of aid, so they dont lose their job when they have to be at home teaching their kids.
I agree that they need to make a decision soon.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Walsh says US coronavirus situation is ‘devastating,' warns of risk of ‘moving backwards’ in Boston - The Boston Globe

Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh said Tuesday that the United States is currently in “the worst place it’s ever been in” in terms of the coronavirus pandemic, and it’s imperative that residents here continue to take precautions to prevent the virus from returning.
He said the rise of the deadly virus in states such as California, Florida, Texas, and Arizona, is “quite honestly … devastating.”

“Here in Boston and in Massachusetts, we need to do everything we can to avoid going down that path,” he said.

The state reported Monday that a total of 8,115 people have died in the state from confirmed cases of the coronavirus. Another 215 probable-case deaths have also been reported. The Massachusetts outbreak reached its peak in the spring and has now subsided, but states in the South and West are now grappling with a surge of cases and deaths.

Walsh said city officials are monitoring data such as positive tests, percentages of tests that are positive, and hospital activity “every single day as we get it.”

“We are ready to make whatever adjustments that are needed,” he said.
He said, “We’ve worked our way into a strong position to control our own destiny here in Boston” by taking precautions against the virus, but he warned that if people stop, “We are at risk of moving backwards.”

“Every day is certainly critical,” he said.

He asked people to continue wearing masks, stay 6 feet away from others, avoid large crowds, wash hands frequently with warm soap and water, and clean surfaces.

He asked business owners to operate “with absolute caution and care following all of the requirements that have been laid out by the city and state.”

“These are things that every single person in our city should be doing every single day,” he said.

Reactions: Spooner st

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I hear your predicament but It’s not the schools job to provide businesses with cost free daycare for their employees.

Think most districts in MA will be trying to going back in the fall, the rates will rise again and everyone will be sent home again. Hoping we play it smarter but that’s a fools bet to anyone who’s been paying attention.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You may be right but I couldve sworn they said the positive rate is 1.7 in Mass and has been declining for over a month.

You're right. Her sources are using cherry-picked data. Since july 4th MA is averaging around 150 positive cases and 18 deaths per day. Those are a literal fraction of last months numbers, despite all the 4th of July get togethers and loosening of restrictions.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
A big issue is lack of funding to adjust schools to a new normal.
Billions have gone to bail out businesses but not the case with school systems. States and cities are on their own.

My town literally just spent $200 mil on a new high school that nobody can use now. Hopefully this pandemic will force other towns to adapt and not make the same mistakes all these other towns are making. High schools don't need to compete with ivy league college facilities.

The towns can cry poor all they want but real education spending has gone up by 300% since 1960 ("real spending" accounts for inflation). They don't need endless amounts of money. They need to start spending it more wisely.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You're right. Her sources are using cherry-picked data. Since july 4th MA is averaging around 150 positive cases and 18 deaths per day. Those are a literal fraction of last months numbers, despite all the 4th of July get togethers and loosening of restrictions.
You realize we are still at least a week away before we see the numbers from 4th of July right?

Today's numbers

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My town literally just spent $200 mil on a new high school that nobody can use now. Hopefully this pandemic will force other towns to adapt and not make the same mistakes all these other towns are making. High schools don't need to compete with ivy league college facilities.

The towns can cry poor all they want but real education spending has gone up by 300% since 1960 ("real spending" accounts for inflation). They don't need endless amounts of money. They need to start spending it more wisely.

cool rant.

doesnt speak to how to engineer safe guards to prevent or battle a pandemic like private institutions are doing and literally has nothing to do with the Covid subject And the back to school issue.

but cool rant.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You realize we are still at least a week away before we see the numbers from 4th of July right?

Today's numbers

You're making my case for me. Thousands more tested yet barely an increase. And most show within 10 days.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
cool rant.

doesnt speak to how to engineer safe guards to prevent or battle a pandemic like private institutions are doing and literally has nothing to do with the Covid subject And the back to school issue.

but cool rant.

Ummmmm, it DIRECTLY addressed your lack of funding claim. Directly.

And safe-guarding? That's the easy part. We just have to be willing to adopt the safeguards other countries have had in place for YEARS. It's a mindset change. Not a funding issue.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You're making my case for me. Thousands more tested yet barely an increase. And most show within 10 days.
You do not know what will happen next week. All we can do is hope that they don't trend upwards.

For now, we can be happy the numbers are staying down thanks to people following what the scientists and experts have been saying: wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ummmmm, it DIRECTLY addressed your lack of funding claim. Directly.

really?
Nobody knew a pandemic would hit and funds be needed to get schools back up and running in a safe manner.

Your new school scenario doesnt address that in any way. Nor does it address where is the federal bailout many others got in real time.

your post addresses what I presume was a prop 2 1/2 over ride that you drew the short stick on where you stand.
But nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad