OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I disagree. There has been too much talk of shutting everything down again until a vaccine is developed which is impractical in the extreme as it can take decades to develop a safe, working vaccine. Hell after 30 plus years of research there still isn't a vaccine to prevent HIV/AIDS!!! Supposedly there is promising research going on now for a COVID vaccine but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I worked right through the lock down- in CT insurance is considered an essential activity. My office was not open to the public but I was there every day working just like I did before this happened. Last week I re-opened to the public- wearing a mask, requiring clients to wear a mask, social distancing and disinfecting after each customer interaction. I don't know about other places but CT people for the most part have been reasonable about precautions.

I don’t think anyone who has a clue is truly advocating for shutting everything down until there is a vaccine. That could be years from now and the virus could mutate hundreds of times by then.

But, I do think certain states need to acknowledge that the corners they cut back in late May and early June have come to roost. Florida, Arizona, and Texas should all hit the pause button and get their numbers under control. Then create a comprehensive reopening plan. Then do phased reopenings. Mandating masks would be a huge step as well.

We can’t shut down the borders between states so the more one state allows this virus to spread uncontrolled the more at risk all other states are. How some people in government haven’t gotten this yet is beyond me.

An update from my field as well. All Massachusetts nursing home and rest home staff need to be baseline tested (100% of staff) by mid/late July. If one staff member tests positive, the facility is to test everyone every 2-weeks until they have zero cases. If everyone is negative the facility must test 30% of staff (if the surrounding community has a infection rate <40 per 100,000 residents) and 50% of staff (if >40 per 100,000 residents) every two weeks. This new requirement does not have a stop date attached. You’ll notice now if you get a test, that the lag time on results has increased due to health care professionals being mandated to test bi-weekly.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well said, and its not just by state. It can be by region within a state. Here in Illinois, its 50-50 whether or not the kids in and around Chicago go back to the classroom in some form or fashion. Downstate, it might be a totally different story.

That's why I think its important for regional school districts to make that call as their unique situations dictate. Its also a good reminder that local elections (ie: your school board) are as important as national ones.
I agree it is up to each region.

They need to have a plan now and not wait until schools are due to open and the virus is surging again. I don't know what the answer is but the Federal Gov has no right to tell everyone they have to open schools or the funding gets cut.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think the only way Boston goes back on time is if they figure out a staggered hybrid approach with not only the classroom but with the buses.

Since there aren't any neighborhood schools, most of the Boston Public School students rely on the bus to get to and from school. Unless you increase the number of buses per route and have a bus monitor assigned to each trip, there is no way these kids are going to social distance or wear a mask on the bus.

Marty Walsh has already said that unless they come up with a solid plan for the buses, the kids won't go back on time.

I really hope the city gets a wake up call and starts to look at restoring neighborhood schools.

Reactions: LSCII

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I think the only way Boston goes back on time is if they figure out a staggered hybrid approach with not only the classroom but with the buses.

Since there aren't any neighborhood schools, most of the Boston Public School students rely on the bus to get to and from school. Unless you increase the number of buses per route and have a bus monitor assigned to each trip, there is no way these kids are going to social distance or wear a mask on the bus.

Marty Walsh has already said that unless they come up with a solid plan for the buses, the kids won't go back on time.

I really hope the city gets a wake up call and starts to look at restoring neighborhood schools.

My Wife’s school is supposed to tell the teachers and families tomorrow what the plan is. Regardless, my Wife is not going back. She suffers from chronic Lyme Disease, so she’s compromised. She’s going to suggest to the superintendent that they set up a computer in her classroom and she’ll meet with her students online, which as a reading teacher will work. She’s not going to expose herself to this for no good reason, and I obviously agree.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My Wife’s school is supposed to tell the teachers and families tomorrow what the plan is. Regardless, my Wife is not going back. She suffers from chronic Lyme Disease, so she’s compromised. She’s going to suggest to the superintendent that they set up a computer in her classroom and she’ll meet with her students online, which as a reading teacher will work. She’s not going to expose herself to this for no good reason, and I obviously agree.

I can't even wrap my head around the fact that putting children and teachers at risk needlessly has become a politicized, hot topic the way it has. It's flat out common sense to not put people at risk for no reason. These supposed leaders on all sides of it need to get their heads out of the asses and wake the f*** up.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I can't even wrap my head around the fact that putting children and teachers at risk needlessly has become a politicized, hot topic the way it has. It's flat out common sense to not put people at risk for no reason. These supposed leaders on all sides of it need to get their heads out of the asses and wake the f*** up.

As you can tell from my handle, I’m a big Black Crowes fan. Steve Gorman (the ex drummer) quoted his brother yesterday with a common sense comment that really put this into perspective. Back in March, we had about a thousand cases and we said “holy crap, we have to shut down schools!!”. Fast forward to July and we are adding 65,000 cases a day and the federal response is “F*ck it, open it up, let ‘er rip!!!”

It makes no sense. But alas, here we are.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As you can tell from my handle, I’m a big Black Crowes fan. Steve Gorman (the ex drummer) quoted his brother yesterday with a common sense comment that really put this into perspective. Back in March, we had about a thousand cases and we said “holy crap, we have to shut down schools!!”. Fast forward to July and we are adding 65,000 cases a day and the federal response is “F*ck it, open it up, let ‘er rip!!!”

It makes no sense. But alas, here we are.

It's truly astounding, isn't it?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

amen

There was a fun bar graph about the cases in the US per week, since March. March was low, and this most recent week was all but through the top of the screen. And people wanna open schools gtfoh

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I hope she's able to get this set up not only for her but her students.

I'm the same way with work. I'm compromised with my asthma and history of bronchitis and pneumonia so I won't be taking risks just to sit in a stuffy office. If anything, give me another monitor and a docking station and I'll be able to get more done and it will save me from printing everything.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
amen

There was a fun bar graph about the cases in the US per week, since March. March was low, and this most recent week was all but through the top of the screen. And people wanna open schools gtfoh

I can't even begin to accept that this has to happen. Why? I challenge someone to give me one valid reason why all kids need to return to school, full time, with no safety measures? Aside from a handful of one offs, I can't see why all students need to go back while this is still raging unchecked the way it is. It's flat out the dumbest thing I've seen so far during this pandemic, which is a very bold statement given how it's gone.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Screenshot_20200714-110908_Twitter.jpg

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That’s the one!! I mean, how can you look at that graph and argue that opening up makes sense???
the northeast had this virus during christmas time. kids were in school then and most likely any illnesses from dec-march were covid. we have peaked here and this part of the US is definitely safe for schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad