OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Heres what confounds me more than anything I guess.

Right now based on science and demonstrated actuals the best way to move through this is masks, sanitizing surfaces and ourselves and keeping distance.

Very, very simplistic things to do.

We , in general, as a society made the decision to restrict smoking. As cancer causing particles can be passed along via second hand smoke.

Yet a virus , a deadly or debilitating virus, is ok to pass along in those same exhaled, sneezes, coughed particles.

I just cant get my head around it.

Following those simple things will expedite getting to where EVERYONE ultimately wants to be.

You're right, the ways to stop the spread are very simple and cost little. Wear a mask, stay 6 feet away, wash your hands. Developing vaccines and treating patients, now those are complicated and expensive.

IMO the only reason things are what they are in the U.S., is because there is a very small group of politicians who believe that the only way they get re-elected is to convince enough voters that things are normal and great. And they're doing a pretty good job (sic) at it. Wearing masks is not normal. Distancing is not normal. Online education is not normal.

And this small group of politicians simply could not care less how many people get sick or die to achieve that objective.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH..........
It only makes sense to wait until the US has Covid under control. In Toronto we are a little over 100 new cases per day...and we can't travel outside our area. The rest of Ontario is open, they have practically no cases. Toronto and Windsor are still in phase 2.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You're right, the ways to stop the spread are very simple and cost little. Wear a mask, stay 6 feet away, wash your hands. Developing vaccines and treating patients, now those are complicated and expensive.

IMO the only reason things are what they are in the U.S., is because there is a very small group of politicians who believe that the only way they get re-elected is to convince enough voters that things are normal and great. And they're doing a pretty good job (sic) at it. Wearing masks is not normal. Distancing is not normal. Online education is not normal.

And this small group of politicians simply could not care less how many people get sick or die to achieve that objective.[/QUOTE]
QFT...But some believe everything said even when it is always lies

Reactions: Maine Fan

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Without searching, who sang these opening lines?

"Just a small town girl livin' in a lonely world"

"I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, when I met you"

"She's a very kinky girl, the kind you don't take home to mother"

"And you may find yourself, living in a shotgun shack…"

"Shot like an arrow going through my heart…"

"Dig if you will the picture..."

"We don't need no education…"

"Now there's a backseat lover that's always under cover…"

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I'm assuming groups are acceptable, and you're not looking for lead singers....I'm 5.5/8.

The first contest I ever won was in high school....radio contest for "lost lyrics". I won tickets to go see the Mambo Kings movie. Never collected them.

Journey
Human League
Rick James
Oh, I saw him in his previews for the Broadway show at the Colonial theater, and he guested on SNL right before the hiatus...dangit, blanking on the name now...I'll come back to this one. Tall, skinny, British, not Howard Jones...not Simple Minds...oh, it's a group....in his show, everyone has bare feet and grey suits. This song was also in a Nick Cage/Tea Leoni(?) movie. How do I know so much about this song without knowing the title?
?
Prince
Pink Floyd
?

EDIT: Oh, the first one I missed...I never could understand those words. And the second one...that's the one song by the group that I'm not a fan of.

And...AHHH, the one I whiffed on. I was right about all the details. Couldn't place the name.

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Man-Music-Motion-Picture/dp/B000053VII

Reactions: Elvis P

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Yup. It's not like other countries have already instituted these measures, gone back to school and NOT seen any meaningful increases. Oh wait, they have? Imagine that.

When all else fails, be sarcastic and snarky. So much more effective than debating facts and figures.....especially when they aren't on your side.
You realize that the positive case rate in the US is absolutely skyrocketing while nearly every other country we'd like to consider to be our peers are well under control, right? Other places are considering opening schools because they are far ahead of us; we're exploding worse now than in March (as a nation).

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yup. It's not like other countries have already instituted these measures, gone back to school and NOT seen any meaningful increases. Oh wait, they have? Imagine that.

When all else fails, be sarcastic and snarky. So much more effective than debating facts and figures.....especially when they aren't on your side.

Yeah I don’t think what other countries are doing really matters when they’ve proven that they are far and away better equipped to handle this (if not with direct funding than with a population that has an average IQ above 85)

we, on the other hand, are the kid on the back of the bus who wipes his boogers on the seat

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You realize that the positive case rate in the US is absolutely skyrocketing while nearly every other country we'd like to consider to be our peers are well under control, right? Other places are considering opening schools because they are far ahead of us; we're exploding worse now than in March (as a nation).

The discussion was Massachusetts, not the country.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
55FC338F-F13D-4ED3-8D0A-7B2CAE8F236E.jpeg

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010

7 for 8...no idea on the one I don't know

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

It's always good to see positive news. I know a vaccine is no sure thing (there are enough disesases out there that have been around for a long time with no vaccine), but I feel like the fact that there are so many pharmaceutical comparnies focused on it gives us good odds.

Reactions: Spooner st

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Baloney. Summer is only cancelled if you let it be.

I played 18 holes of golf yesterday. Went tubing down river Saturday and had a wonderful cookout on the patio with the family. Perfect summer weekend although I probably drank a little too much on Saturday night.

Be smart, wear a goddamn mask, and keep your spacing when you are out in public, take the necessary precautions, but also live your life. Sitting home being depressed is just as dangerous to your health.

Granted, this summer is not the same as previous summers, but it definitely isn't cancelled.

That depends on how high-risk one is, what living conditions they are in and how many other high risk folks are living with them. No one has said it is not in the air, as of yet. It has been determined that you can get it twice.

Sounds like you and your family are young and taking the necessary precautions, I hope. Proper Mask worn correctly and social distancing is best

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
It's always good to see positive news. I know a vaccine is no sure thing (there are enough disesases out there that have been around for a long time with no vaccine), but I feel like the fact that there are so many pharmaceutical comparnies focused on it gives us good odds.

Here's the catch though. There was an estimate that 30% of the U.S. won't take the vaccine. So 100,000,000 people will still be running through what might be repeated outbreaks as it appears natural immunity is short lived. And then there is the question of whether those at highest risk, i.e. nursing home residents and those with multiple health conditions, can take the vaccine safely, or whether extraordinary steps will need to continue to keep them safe.

So the question becomes, can normal society resume even with a vaccine?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
the northeast had this virus during christmas time. kids were in school then and most likely any illnesses from dec-march were covid. we have peaked here and this part of the US is definitely safe for schools.

China didn’t even have this virus at Christmas time. It was originally discovered late December as a cluster of pneumonia like illnesses and the spread from the original cluster didn’t seem to occur until January.

Was the virus probably moving throughout the north east earlier than originally thought? Yes. Was it in December? Heck no. The facts just don’t support that theory. Most of the Massachusetts cases actually came from Italy.

As for schools, I cannot see how they open. Nursing homes still have no visitors (outside, scheduled, supervised visits only), no activities, no communal dining, etc. how you expect a bunch of kids to remember to keep masks on every day, get their temperature checked daily, not eat around others, social distance, and display proper hand hygiene regularly is beyond me. Hell, adults in this country can’t even figure all of that stuff out. The logistics of spacing in the classroom, eating, cleaning surfaces, would require ridiculous man power in a system that is already painfully under-funded.

Sending kids back to school would be an awful idea IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad